Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3338
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nik HDR Efex Pro" Previous topic | Next topic
chief1 Registered since 19th Aug 2010Wed 25-Aug-10 05:56 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nik HDR Efex Pro"
Wed 25-Aug-10 05:57 PM by chief1

US

Why oh why is Capture NX2 not included in the compatability list for Niks' new HDR Efex Pro?

Care to take a guess?

It would have been a nice addition to my NX2 program......assuming it wouldn't slow it down any further.....

Link to HDR Efex Pro:
http://www.niksoftware.com/hdrefexpro/usa/entry.php

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro
Curtisj2 Silver Member
25th Aug 2010
chief1
25th Aug 2010
Curtisj2 Silver Member
25th Aug 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Aug 2010
Reply message RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro - A Larger Question ...
sfbillm Silver Member
25th Aug 2010
mklass Platinum Member
25th Aug 2010
chief1
26th Aug 2010
rhelliott626
26th Aug 2010
nightcat
26th Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member
27th Aug 2010
nightcat
27th Aug 2010
sfbillm Silver Member
28th Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member
28th Aug 2010
mklass Platinum Member
28th Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member
28th Aug 2010
nwcs Silver Member
27th Aug 2010
nightcat
29th Aug 2010
sfbillm Silver Member
27th Aug 2010
lovemy8514 Silver Member
06th Sep 2010
AreBee
18th Oct 2010
mklass Platinum Member
18th Oct 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
20th Oct 2010
wiselee2 Silver Member
20th Oct 2010
AreBee
20th Oct 2010
robsb Platinum Member
20th Oct 2010
jimsanders Silver Member
22nd Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator
22nd Oct 2010
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Oct 2010

Curtisj2 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 25-Aug-10 07:17 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 0

Minneapolis, US

My (hopeful) guess is that a subset of the functionality will appear in NX3.....

Curtis

chief1 Registered since 19th Aug 2010Wed 25-Aug-10 07:22 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 1

US

My bigger concern is that Nik is not expecting to release a NX3 program, and therefore there is no need to further accomodate the NX users.

I'll error on the side of it being included in NX3 as you stated. That would be a sweet addition. Time will tell. However, no NX3 would mean a switch to lightroom for me - although I'm still using NX2 in the hopes of future releases/updates.

Curtisj2 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 25-Aug-10 07:24 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 2

Minneapolis, US

Remember that Nikon has an investment in Nik

See http://www.niksoftware.com/company/usa/entry.php?info=company/pressroom/nikcoop.shtml

Curtis

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 25-Aug-10 10:29 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

And Nikon may wait for an appropriate time to introduce HDR in Nikon Capture NX# or as a plug-in.

Any big photographer shows in the near future?

The PhotoShop plug-in is a pre-order for a release in October.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Wed 25-Aug-10 10:36 PM
849 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro - A Larger Question ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

... is why none of the Nik software has been made available for NX2 except the Color Efex filters (which are very, very good) ...

SantaFeBill

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 25-Aug-10 10:47 PM
5813 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro - A Larger Question ..."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 26-Aug-10 12:22 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Well, if someone knows who is the Patron Saint of software wishes, I'll start praying to him or her.

As for me, I'll stick with a stand alone HDR app until they come out with a plug-in for CNX, or I switch to Lightroom or completely to PS.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

chief1 Registered since 19th Aug 2010Thu 26-Aug-10 03:52 PM
#8. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro - A Larger Question ..."
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 26-Aug-10 04:03 PM by chief1

US

>As for me, I'll stick with a stand alone HDR app until they
>come out with a plug-in for CNX, or I switch to Lightroom or
>completely to PS.

Same here as well. I know your feeling. I'm getting ready to purchase a new computer, monitor, and software. I'm at a point of needing to decide what path I'm going to take in the future as far as my editing program. Photomatix seems to work ok for HDR, but NX2 is slowly dropping out of sight on my radar. Every month that goes by seems like it has aged a year. I still see myself sticking with it though. Niks' HDR within the NX3?? program would be great. The more I can get out of one program the better.

rhelliott626 Registered since 18th Jun 2008Thu 26-Aug-10 12:34 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 0

SONORA, US

If its as buggy as NX2 is, it will be a real work of ART. Anyway I dont think I'll be buying it till all the bugs are worked out and it gets some positive reviews. I stick to a stand alone also.

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Thu 26-Aug-10 04:01 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

I have previously posted a link to a post from a Nik employee who explained that the basic architecture of CNX1 and CNX2 were incompatible with most of Nik's plugins. He also said that CNX3 was getting a new architecture that was compatible. He, of course, did not say that Nik would be releasing new plugins for CNX3. Although, I would say it is implied. Also, I have seen two accidental posts that lead me to believe CNX3 is in beta. One was in this forum and the other was a screen shot. I won't say more because I do not want to get the beta testers in trouble for the inadvertant leaks.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 27-Aug-10 02:34 AM
12558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 9

San Jose, US

While I would be glad to be able to add more NX plug ins if they are the caliber of NIK 3.0 filters, I am a a bit concerned about the architecture comment, as I am not sure if that means the NIK plug Ins will not be integrated into NX as they are now, and would work more like the ones in Photoshop where they are more stand alone. I find the current integration preferable. I would not expect the NIK HDR plug in to work with NX unless they are adding the ability to combine multiple images in CNX. Perhaps that is where the structure change is going. I have noted before that if Nikon/NIK made one simple change to CNX you would not need HDR. That would be to make Exposure selective rather than global. Just think you could set a control point and then tie exposure to that selection and you accomplish what HDR does without any fuss. Capture is certainly due for an update and considering that we are only on version 2 right now, I am expecting to be blown away with new features and capabilities in CNX3 including it being both a 32 bit and 64 bit app. I think we are seeing some improvement already in 2.2.5.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Fri 27-Aug-10 04:00 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 10

LaCrosse,WI, US

Hi Bob,

My thinking was that Nikon would get rid of the .NET framework and go with something else. Just a wild guess. My first thought was that Nikon would not allow multiple images to be edited at the same time, since that seemed to be their philosophy up to now. However, some cameras allow multiple exposure blending and CNX3 may have movie editing. This means CNX3 could allow multiple shot editing needed for HDR. Again, just guessing. I'm staying optimistic and confident about CNX3.

Kraig

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sat 28-Aug-10 01:25 AM
849 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 10

Santa Fe, US

>I have noted before that if Nikon/NIK made
>one simple change to CNX you would not need HDR. That would be
>to make Exposure selective rather than global. Just think you
>could set a control point and then tie exposure to that
>selection and you accomplish what HDR does without any fuss.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but why can't you do this with a selection control point and adjustments, particularly the contrast/brightness slider?

Although I'm still not clear why doing so, or having exposure as part of the adjust menu, would give you the HDR effect of combining several different exposures. You're still working with the dynamic range present in one image, even if you're changing the exposure in only part(s) of that image.

SantaFeBill

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 28-Aug-10 01:51 AM
12558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#19. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 18

San Jose, US

I will grant you that you can apply any adjustment that can be applied selectively using a contgrol point. I also agree that an HDR image can not create a range greater than the dynamic range present. It is also true that even working on RAW images you are really not changing the exposure but are making adjustments that mimic an exposure change. When you do HDR you are blending images that captured different dynamic ranges, so you take images usually 2 EV apart, usually 3 to 5, and then use the best parts of each image, so where a highlight may be blown out in one image it will be OK in another. Contrast and brightness controls do not effect the same pixels as the global exposure control in CNX2. Take an image and apply highlights and shadows and then tsake the same image and change the exposure, they will not look the same. But if you could selectively change the exposure, it would be the same as using the best part of a multiple exposure set. At least that is the way I see it. With HDR showing up as a feature in P&S cameras, can it be far off for DSLR's?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 28-Aug-10 03:07 AM
5813 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 19

Tacoma, US

Isn't that somwhnat what Advance Dynamic Lighting does?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 28-Aug-10 05:59 AM
#21. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 20

San Jose, US

Mick I am no expert here but as I understand it ADL affects highlights and shadows like either the D lighting or highlights and shadows protection adjustments and it moves bins in those areas and also lowers the exposure. But as far as I know it is not doing the same kind of changes that the global exposure slider does except in a limited way and certainly not +- 2EV. So again if we had selective exposure control it would be a major step foward in post processing. I don't know of any post processor that does it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 27-Aug-10 05:24 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 9

Knoxville, US

Can you point out the link again?

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Sun 29-Aug-10 12:30 AM
#22. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 12

LaCrosse,WI, US

I think this is the link I posted www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/discuss/72157622711689517/?search=new+architecture+Nik I remembered the thread incorrectly. Don't get old. A Nikon marketing rep made the architecture comment and only implied CNX3 would have a new one. Or I found the wrong thread on flicker. Nikoscope just doesn't work for me. Sorry for any problems I may have caused.

Kraig

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Fri 27-Aug-10 10:09 PM
#15. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 9

Santa Fe, US

>I have previously posted a link to a post from a Nik employee
>who explained that the basic architecture of CNX and CNX2
>were incompatible with most of Nik's plugins. He also said
>that CNX3 was getting a new architecture that was compatible.
>He, of course, did not say that Nik would be releasing new
>plugins for CNX3.

What this implies to me is that, if it happens, that the architecture of NX3 will be changed so that the current Nik sw will be compatible. If that's so, then other 3rd-party plug-ins would be compatible also.

SantaFeBill

lovemy8514 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Oct 2007Mon 06-Sep-10 01:37 PM
2412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 06-Sep-10 01:39 PM by lovemy8514

Columbia, US

NX2 is so close to being great it makes me sad every time I use it. I really want to like it and to support Nikon, but it's just so slow it's painful. I'm getting a new computer next year, and a big part of me wants to dump Capture NX2 for Aperture, Lightroom or CS5 for the available plug-ins (upcoming Nik HDR, Silver Efex, alien effects, etc).

IF NX3 is released in the next year and it's faster and can use all of the available plug-ins from Nik, I'll stick with it.

To keep up with the needs of many of todays photographers, NX needs to be able to use the popular plug-ins, needs 64 bit compatibility and the ability to use multiple cores.

If they can speed it up and open it up to developers for plug-in support, they'd have a program that would compete with Aperture and Lightroom, and on some levels CS5.

Perhaps that's not their goal?

J a m e s
My Gallery

Using his camera as a pen, it is the photographer's job to tell a story: Each page authored in frozen moments of time.

All of my work is dedicated to my father, Terry Lee Geib (1943-2009)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008Mon 18-Oct-10 08:57 PM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 23

Inverness, GB

James,

>IF NX3 is released in the next year and it's faster and can use all of the available plug-ins from Nik...<

I wouldn't hold your breath on Silver Efex Pro being released for Capture NX#. I recently emailed Nik to enquire if they had any intension of ever releasing that plug-in, as I and many others would dearly like to see it made available for Capture NX. They replied:

"There are currently no plans to have a Silver efex Pro version for Capture NX 2..."

The optimist in me notes that they specifically mention NX2. The pessimist says not to be so naive.

Regards,

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 18-Oct-10 10:40 PM
#25. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 24

Tacoma, US

This seems to be Nik's standard answer to every request about making Capture NX(whatever version) plug-in versions of their software. Sometime they add that they are looking to see how much demand there is.

Maybe we should organize a 24hour E-mail campaign to inundate them with requests. Or an online petition.

Frankly, I am frustrated that they do not support CNX by itself, much less with other plug-ins. (I realize that it is officially Nikon software, but that is splitting hairs, especially since Nikon has an ownership interest in Nik.)

If I am forced to use PS or Lightroom in order to use plug-ins, and if Nik won't support their current products, I am steering clear of their products as much as possible. There are plenty of other options out there.

What do you think it would take to get them "on the ball"?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.
-Mahatma Gandhi

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 20-Oct-10 01:57 AM
4179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 25

Alberta, CA

Regardless of Nik/Nikon boundaries I can't imagine Nik would knowingly forego Capture NX potential market for their HDR and Silver FX products.

Therefore expect costly CNX3 optional plug-ins in your future

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

wiselee2 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2009Wed 20-Oct-10 02:38 PM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 26

US

I downloaded the Lightroom trial version after reading about being able to use it as an alternative stand-alone with NX2. It does work but you have to convert your images to Tiff or Jpeg first. Here is the link to the article by Jason Odell:
http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2010/10/10/using-nik-plug-ins-with-capture-nx-2/

I also contacted NIK and they flat out said they didn't support a stand-alone concept, sounds like they are pushing sales for the host software programs.....

AreBee Registered since 27th Apr 2008Wed 20-Oct-10 03:12 PM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 27

Inverness, GB

...>sounds like they are pushing sales for the host software programs...<

Except for Capture NX.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 20-Oct-10 04:39 PM
#29. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"

San Jose, US

Very interesting link.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jimsanders Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2008Fri 22-Oct-10 01:25 PM
931 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"

Buffalo, US

Jason has posted a short follow-up to that initial post. It is located here:

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2010/10/21/follow-up-to-using-nik-plug-ins-with-capture-nx2/

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 22-Oct-10 11:05 AM
8472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I had a conversation last night with a senior employee of my local camera shop. They had just finished a Nik class with Nik staff in town.

He indicated there is a Capture NX3 that he has seen. It could be released in some form soon (2011). The primary issue is related to agreements between Nik and Nikon. That seems to be linked to Jason's blog post about Nik working as a stand alone with all major file types except NEF's. My contact suggested that Capture will be much more open in the NX3 release. That explains some of the dialogue about changing the architecture - which has been an issue for some time.

He also reported that Nik had bought back all but 10% of Nikon's investmetn in Nik - apparently a path toward allowing Nik greater flexibility.

All this is obviously unconfirmed and my contact certainly was closed mouthed on all specifics.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 22-Oct-10 12:10 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Nik HDR Efex Pro"
In response to Reply # 30

Kingston, CA

Significant news Eric, thanks for sharing. I am enjoying Capture NX2 and am hoping a new release is in the works. I really like control points because they are so fast and easy to use and create great results! (I am not interested in paying big $$$ for Photoshop + add-on U-point technology). Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3338 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.