Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3287
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX vs Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
KoiGardenGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2009Sat 21-Aug-10 04:01 PM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX vs Capture NX2"

Seattle, US

I have a question that I have not seen specifically answered.

I am deciding what SW tools to use in my Post Processing.
I have heard that Nikon SW tools "read" the RAW files and read camera setting as they have been set up. I realize that Adobe (and others) attempt to simulate those settings but don't read the exact setting off the Nikon camera.

Here is the question:
Does View NX do any of the RAW Nikon magic or is it just a viewer and Capture NX2 needed to interpret the Nikon Camera settings?

TIA

Michael Rudinsky
The Koi Garden Guy
http://koigarden.blogspot.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX vs Capture NX2
cliddell Silver Member
21st Aug 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
22nd Aug 2010
mklass Platinum Member
22nd Aug 2010
doneverly
23rd Aug 2010
ericbowles Moderator
24th Aug 2010

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sat 21-Aug-10 07:20 PM
994 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX vs Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

View NX 2 is the latest free Nikon browser and it (like previous versions) will "read" every camera setting and display them. Being basically a browser it also has a substantial editing capability especially if you use RAW files.

For more advanced editing including selective editing and much more, then Capture NX2 is IMO the program to have...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 22-Aug-10 04:01 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX vs Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

As noted Nikon View NX2 is the free image processor provided by Nikon while Nikon Capture NX2 is a purchased program from either Nikon or Nik Software. Capture NX2 provides the ability to save changes back to a NEF file, have an undo edits, and whole list of editing features not available to View NX2. For an additional payment you can add Nik Software's Color Efex Pro 3.0 digital filter plug-in to Capture NX2. Capture NX2 has a very flexible B&W conversion feature that allows control of the gray tones.

You might want to look at Nikon\'s Capture NX2 site for examples of just what Capture NX2 can do.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 22-Aug-10 05:40 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX vs Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

I've pretty much relied on Capture NX2 (CNX)to do my image editing, but with the recent release of View NX2 (VNX), and the need to process a recent wedding shoot, I though I give VNX a try.

For minor and global edits (Brightness, contrast, sharpness, shadow and highlight adjustments, etc.) VNX was very capable. It was very useful for reception shots of the guests where the image is not so critical.

CNX is is far better at fine tuning an image, and has the ability to work globally on the whole image, or selectively on just portions of it. The range of tools is broader (there is no saturation adjustment in VNX) and the Color Efex plug-in is available to really broaden the range of options. I use CNX for processing and editing the formals and ceremony shots where the look of the bride and groom (especially the bride) is very important, and where I may want to be more creative with the image.

Other items to note: I find VNX to be much slower saving files after changes (NEFs) and converting to JPGs than CNX. This negates some of the speed advantage. (I am running a Win Vista 64 bit Quad Core machine with 8 GB or RAM).

VNX opens faster than CNX, but that is a one time thing at the beginning of each session, so unless you are constantly opening and closing the program, that isn't much of an issue.

VNX seems very stable so far. My installation of CNX is good, (others seem to have problems) it does crash occasionally, but no more than Photoshop for me.

So I guess your decision should be based on whether or not you need to intensively edit your images, or want to be more creative. Since VNX is free, it is only a question of whether you want to spend some money on CNX for the additional capabilities.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

doneverly Registered since 26th Jul 2010Mon 23-Aug-10 10:09 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX vs Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

The main differences seem to be:

No EDIT STEPS (No Masking)

No Auto Retouch Brush

No Black, Neutral, White Control Points

No Colour Control Points

No RED EYE Control Point

No DOUBLE THRESHOLD

No DUST-OFF

No ADL Support

D

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 24-Aug-10 11:07 AM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View NX vs Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

My view is similar to Mick's - View NX does a good job with the basic settings, but lacks the ability to apply edits to a selection. View NX also handles camera settings in the same manner as the Capture NX2.

I do find that things like exposure adjustments and white balance are easy to adjust in View NX while I am rating images.

But for my main editing, I find that the ability to apply edits selectively has become very important. I actually apply relatively few edits on a global basis these days.

There is a new version of View NX just released - View NX2. I've just tried it briefly, but my first impression is that it is a nice upgrade. And it's free!

I consider Capture NX2 a bargain and a very useful tool.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3287 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.