nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3278
View in linear mode

Subject: "Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files" Previous topic | Next topic
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 21-Aug-10 03:55 AM
13327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files"

San Jose, US

If you use Windows Vista or Windows 7 and are having problems with your computer, there is a MS tool called the System File Checker that will find missing or corrupted system files and automatically repair them. It also creates a log so if it can't for some reason repair a file, you can find another copy of the file and replace it using commands in the command prompt window. All the details about this tool and how to use it including the commands you need to run it are found in the Windows Knowledge Base under kb/929833.

Perhaps this can fix some of the problems some of you have had with CNX2 if it is system file related. In any case it only takesd a few minutes to run if no problems are found.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files
Robp Gold Member
21st Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Aug 2010
Reply message RE: Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files - a Caut...
sfbillm Silver Member
21st Aug 2010
Reply message RE: Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files - a Caut...
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Aug 2010
Robman3
23rd Aug 2010

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sat 21-Aug-10 03:38 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 21-Aug-10 03:39 PM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Great tip Bob.

I ran SFC because I'm a true believer in "clean" computer systems. It reported "No Problems". I doubt that it is pure coincidence that I have "No Problems" with the Nikon suite.

Because I didn't know about this utility, I have been routinely running Diskclean, Chkdsk, Defrag, and a few other, Microsoft-only, utilities. Third-party stuff scares me.

I had some problems early-on with Nikon's software, but getting my system clean and error-free was the key to having it run well.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 21-Aug-10 10:10 PM
13327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

I had the kb file buried under some paper on my desk. I have used it from time to time and ran it just before I posted the link; it reported no problems also. I ran it because I ahd just installed and tried another utility called Fix It and wanted to make sure system files were still OK. I think the other important thing to do is to check frequently for updated drivers and software updates. I don't do this often enough, but did go out and check some Sw I use and sure enough there were multiple updates including new ATI drivers that seem to make my display run faster. The new ViewNX2 also seems faster to me.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sat 21-Aug-10 04:54 PM
864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files - a Caution"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

SFC is also in XP, at least the Pro version - don't remember about Home.
It's not clear to me what it does in XP. It may replace later versions of system files with earlier ones, even if the later ones are legitimate, which would mess up programs that need the later versions.
I'd check carefully what SFC does in Vista/Win7 before letting it make changes.

SantaFeBill

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 21-Aug-10 10:06 PM
#3. "RE: Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files - a Caution"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

The tool which is a Microsoft tool is just scanning for corrupt or Missing Microsoft Systems files. If it finds any corrupt files it fixes them and installs missing system files. It will not replace files with earlier versions, though if it found a file it could not fix and you attempted a manual fix you might. The link I gave you addresses Vista and Win 7 only.

I mentioned it because it is a simple tool to use and since it is a MS tool to fix its own system files, it is safe.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Mon 23-Aug-10 07:48 PM
1842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Windows Tool to trouble shoot System Files"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 23-Aug-10 07:50 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Thanks Bob, as we all know, there are no problems, only solutions even if they seem to exist in dog years.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3278 Previous topic | Next topic