Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3131
View in linear mode

Subject: "Going Windows 7: advices please ?" Previous topic | Next topic
newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sat 14-Aug-10 04:57 PM
2000 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Going Windows 7: advices please ?"

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

Hi,

I've wanted to move to W7 (32 bits) for a long time (I'm still Vista) but my busy schedule as well as continuously tights delays don't allow me to spend 2-3 days finetuning/reinstalling applications. In addition, I have very limited OS skills and patience.

Now that W7 has been around for several months, is could be a good time to upgrade. However, with 2 exhibitions coming in August and Septembre, I can't take chances to have problems since I don't have much time free. My question (after reading several posts here and the web sites of software vendors): in spite of compatibility claims by software vendors, are there remaining compatibility issues with the followings? It looks that everything should run fine on W7 (it does now with Vista but is sloooow once in a while).

- Capture NX 2.2.2
- Color Efex Pro 3.0 Complete for NX2 (version 3.000-091808)
- SpectraView II calibration software (version 1.1.05)
- Proshow Producer version 41.12737

Are there advantages/issues to use W7 64 bits given my computer is powerful enough to support it (Lenovo W700, 4Gb)?

Thanks to reassure me or to save my time

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?
greyface Gold Member
14th Aug 2010
JGD Silver Member
14th Aug 2010
jrp Administrator
14th Aug 2010
newbird Silver Member
14th Aug 2010
jrp Administrator
14th Aug 2010
JGD Silver Member
15th Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member
15th Aug 2010
rorywquin Silver Member
15th Aug 2010
Freewheeler10
16th Aug 2010
leolyons
16th Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member
17th Aug 2010
leolyons
17th Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member
17th Aug 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
19th Aug 2010
Freewheeler10
17th Aug 2010
leolyons
17th Aug 2010
nrothschild Silver Member
19th Aug 2010
newbird Silver Member
27th Aug 2010
duca79
26th Aug 2010
Antero52 Silver Member
27th Aug 2010

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008Sat 14-Aug-10 07:06 PM
1505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 0

New Bedford, US

I have been using NX2 2.2.4 and the Color Efex Pro 3.0 in Win 7 64 bit and have had no problems with both programs. Since Nx2 is a 32 bit program, it runs as a 32 bit in Win 64 bit so there is no advantage to move to 64 bit for NX2. There are rumors that the next version of NX2 will run in 64 bit.

I have had no problems with it. Have had no experience with your other 2 programs.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

-------------------
"On no account allow a Vogon to read poetry at you." - The Hitchhikers Guide

JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Sat 14-Aug-10 07:50 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

Yvan,
My experience is virtually the same as "grayface" - no problems at all with NX2.2.4 along with CEP 3.0 Complete for NX2 (not sure what version) on a Win 7 64-bit system. Actually, with probably over 50 different programs installed, I have had almost no difficulty at all. I have no experience with your other two programs. Given how smooth my upgrading experience was, I would recommend the 64-bit option as it is likely the wave of the future, plus your system can really take advantage of additional RAM which can speed things up. Unfortunately, NX2 can't take advantage of 64-bit so you might not see a significant increase in speed. All-in-all though, I remain impressed with Win 7.

Having said that, stuff happens . Given your tight schedule, I might consider putting off upgrading until you are in a less stressful situation - just in case. Hope this helps.

Jim

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 14-Aug-10 08:00 PM
34287 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

There is Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.
All three versions have favorable reports with no major issues on drivers/utilities/program compatibilities, except that Home Premium doesn't run with previous XP programs.
Except for BitLocker data encryption and multiple languages usage, there seems to be no difference between the Professional and the Ultimate.

If you can, upgrade your Lenovo W700 memory, up to 8GB PC3-8500 1066MHz.
Use an external high speed drive for scratch/cache when processing images.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sat 14-Aug-10 09:04 PM
2000 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you all for your advices.

JRP I assume going to 8Gb RAM would require the 64bit version to fully benefit from it.

I'll see how much it costs to go this way as well.

Also, I forgot to mention I use PhotoMechanics (latest version) with NX2.

Cheers

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 14-Aug-10 11:08 PM
34287 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 20-Aug-10 02:04 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

A RAM expansion always helps speed.

I am stuck with Windows XP to keep compatibility with a large number of utilities I use regularly so I soon upgraded from 2GB to 4, even when Windows XP only reads 3. The difference was enormous on my self-built desktop machine with a pro-gamer motherboard, when using ViewNX2->Capture NX2->Photoshop in my workflow.

I have also seen the difference in some laptops from Nikonians friends with Windows 7 Pro going from 4 to 8 GB and the speed difference is even higher. You can open a D3X NEF file image from an internal hard disk, viewed on ViewNX2, on Capture NX2 in one second flat. I do that in two seconds on my desktop (once NX2 is open) but in 7 seconds on my current laptop.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

JGD Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2006Sun 15-Aug-10 01:51 AM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Frederick, US

Yvan,
Absolutely no problem with an older version (4.5.2) of PhotoMechanic so I would imagine that any newer version would also have no problem given PM's excellent reputation.

Jim

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 15-Aug-10 03:01 AM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I am going to give you a cautious answer here although I am running Win 7 64 bit PRO on a Core 2 Duo Desktop with 8 GB of RAM with no problems with NX 2.2.4, And Color Effects Pro 3.0.

I did a clean install from Win XP, but moving from Vista is easier.

If you stay in 32 bit version, you will have less issues as you may have hardware or drivers for your peripherals that are not supported by Win 64 bit. I had to replace my HP 4C scanner with an Epson V700 scanner because there were no 64 bit drivers for the HP.

Since you can't even use the 4 GB you have, the limit is 3 GB, do not upgrade memory unless you go the 64 bit route. Even though NX2 is 32 bit you will gain advantage running it on a 64 bit machine because each program runs in its own space, so you can have more programs open or the OS will have more space to do things in RAM thus speeding things up.

So before you decide, go to the Win 7 site and download the compatibility tool and run it. It will tell you everything on your computer that is not compatible and tell you what you need to fix it.

Also check the web site of manufacturers of your HW and SW to make sure drivers are available or that updates to make the HW/SW compatible exist. You can also find most of this infor also on the Win 7 site.

Finally update to Capture 2.2.4.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

rorywquin Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2006Sun 15-Aug-10 10:53 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 7

AU

MAKE A NOTE OF YOUR Capture NX SERIAL NUMBER _ W7 installation deletes it!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Mon 16-Aug-10 12:59 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

>- Capture NX 2.2.2

Consider updating CNX2 to version 2.2.4, and write down your serial
number on all products before you install Win7, it seems to be notorious
for destroying/moving registration files so they're no longer readable.

'Nobody ever grows old merely by living a number of years. Years
wrinkle the skin, but to give up one's enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.'
___Romany saying

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

leolyons Registered since 21st Dec 2007Mon 16-Aug-10 01:17 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Folkestone, GB

Look through the forums on here regarding problems with NX2 and Windows 7 64-bit. And I would seriously advise against upgrading to 2.24. Many users have had problems with NX2 on Win 7 - myself included. I have tried every tweak suggested by users on here and by Nikon. The software is practicaly unusable. Crashes every ten minutes or third image. Only way it is now usuable is to remember to save after every edit step and it will still freeze even then but at least you don't lose all your changes.

I love NX2 and bitterly regret that I now cannot get it to work. I am an IT professional of twenty tears standing but the problems with NX2 defeat me. Support from Nikon is practically nil.It is worth mentioning that some who had problems with NX2 2.2.4 managed to get earlier version to work. But earlier versions are hard to find. I would stick with the version you have.

My pc is 2.8Ghz i7 with 8Gb Ram so should crack along with NX2. If you rely on this software fro professional work - as I did - I would be very cautious about an upgrade path. Good Luck!

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 17-Aug-10 05:02 AM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

I think you have to consider the effect that when people post to a forum it is usually to highlight a problem, and therefore looking at these posts is at best anecdotal. I am using NX2.2.4 with Win 7 64 bit with no problems, while some seem to have problems leolyons states, if that were the general rule, no one would be using it. I have no crashes and my processing takes a few minutes and I am running on an old Core 2 Duo processor, but have 8 GB RAM.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

leolyons Registered since 21st Dec 2007Tue 17-Aug-10 07:53 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 11

Folkestone, GB

I would suggest that my post is no more ancedotal than Mr Baldassano's. The veracity of my statements is not in doubt - I can copy my correspondence with Nikon if you like. I do not have statistics as to what percentage of NX2 users are having similar problems but obviously it is more than a few.

I did not suggest that it was a 'general rule' as I have no way of telling that. However the fact that it is so easy to find a significant number of people on Nikonians reporting these problems suggests to me it is a significant problem.

One has to take into account that the percentage of NX2 users who are also Nikonians members is likely to be fairly small. Other forums for photographers also feature many reports of problems with NX2 and Windows 7. There may also be many people with problems who do not post to forums. I accept that few will bother to post along the lines of 'Hey I upgraded to Win7 64-bit and didn't have a problem with NX2' though asking the question will - as Mr Baldassano illustrates produce positive as a well as negative experiences. Some people do post on forums to highlight a problem but others post on forums to express satsifaction or delight with software/hardware. Myself included. I love NX2.

Not sure why Mr Baldassano wishes to dismiss my post in such an impolite way but it was offered in the spirit of helping a contributor have all relelvant experiences to hand before making a decision.

I can only 'speak as I find' and that is that since I upgraded to Win 7 64-bit and a fast machine with plenty of RAM most of my software worked fine and rocks along as you would expect. The three applications that have caused problems are:

Nikon Coolscan - which, like it or not, at least Nikon have admitted they will no longer support

Adobe Premiere 5 - does not work at all under 64-bit

Capture NX2 - see above.

The lack of any useful response from Nikon is the most annoying aspect of this.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 17-Aug-10 07:21 PM
#15. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 12

San Jose, US

I am sorry you saw my response as impolite, that was not my intention. You will note that I did acknowledge your report of problems and i did not question that. What I did respond to was your general assertion that the product was unusable. This may be true for you but not most of us. There are more users of NX2 in Nikonians than Adobe products. Many people who had reported problems who used the tips here have generally fixed their problems, some with specific hardware issues have not. I also run the Adobe Production Premium CS5 suite in 64 bit with no problems. I know that when a piece of software refuses to run well on your hardware, it can be frustrating to try and find a fix. I can tell you I used to have all kinds of crashes and lockups with my NX2 until I did a number of fixes which included making sure all supporting SW like MS Net, VC++ executables, etc were installed and by lowering the cache to a very low value. I have not had a crash since. I do hope you too will be able to find a solution to your installation and be able to run OK like the majority of us.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Thu 19-Aug-10 03:17 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 12

Brattleboro, US

would have to agree with Bob Baldassano - any report on this forum, including yours and his, is, in fact, anecdotal - that is, your reports are undoubtedly as you say, but are not a systematic review of a specific problem. not sure how making that point is impolite.

anecdotes can be useful in suggesting avenues for investigation, but cannot be used as absolute evidence of a systematic problem. they can be very misleading and can often lead to out-sized statements which exceed the evidence - and often lead to false conclusions...including how many people complain or what percentage of people participate in this or that forum...the scientific method evolved from this understanding - would you rather fly on a 747 that was built based on comments posted in a 747 users forum or would rather fly on one that has been rigorously evaluated in a systematic fashion by objective engineers looking at all of the data??
m
www.broadwallphotography.com

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Tue 17-Aug-10 12:50 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 10

Englewood, US

>Look through the forums on here regarding problems with NX2
>and Windows 7 64-bit. And I would seriously advise against
>upgrading to 2.24. Many users have had problems with NX2 on
>Win 7 - myself included. I have tried every tweak suggested by
>users on here and by Nikon. The software is practicaly
>unusable. Crashes every ten minutes or third image. Only way
>it is now usuable is to remember to save after every edit step
>and it will still freeze even then but at least you don't lose
>all your changes.

I'm a Mac guy at heart, I do have NX2 running perfectly on a Windows
desktop and a laptop, but that's XP Pro. The next door neighbor,
however, runs NX2 2.2.4 with no issues whatsoever under Windows 7
64-bit. 2.2.2 did not do well at all, lots of crashes, 2.2.4 is fine.

'Nobody ever grows old merely by living a number of years. Years
wrinkle the skin, but to give up one's enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.'
___Romany saying

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

leolyons Registered since 21st Dec 2007Tue 17-Aug-10 03:36 PM
#14. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 13

Folkestone, GB

Coincidentally in the last couple of hours I got mail from Nikon with some suggestions as to how I might fix the problem. It involves uninstalling and running a registry sweep then reinstalling. I will try it though as it was an install of 2.2.4 straight onto a brand new machine I am not sure what we are trying to achieve.I will report back! Fingers crossed.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 19-Aug-10 07:15 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 19-Aug-10 07:15 PM by nrothschild

US

Although it will add to the task and you are short of time, I think it would be a good idea to start using a program like Acronis to make a restore-able image of your OS. I use Storagecraft Shadowprotect and it has basically worked flawlessly for me, for several years, but I think at this point Acronis (cheaper) probably works just as well for typical uses.
Then if you install Win7 and run into glitches you can roll back in an hour or so.

These shadow copy programs are very helpful for resolving bad software installations and other things that occur from time to time. If Win gets weird, just roll back . You can do incremental copies of the OS partition, rolling back as far in time as you want.

It's saved me from having to reinstall windows or spend endless time hunting down solutions to weird problems after installing, upgrading or just screwing up my Win OS install.

I run Win 7 on a desktop file server but do not have imaging apps installed so I can't add anything to the debate .

my Nikonians gallery.

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Fri 27-Aug-10 09:42 PM
#20. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 17

Thanks Neil for this sound advice. I didn't know about this software.

Thank you everyone. For the time being, I've decided to wait after my solo exhibition material is printed, which means after the end of Septembre. Why ? Because there seems to be a hardware problem with one of my two internal hard disks used by my W700 laptop (RAID-0). The three programs I used to create a full bootable backup didn't succeed (Windows, Lenove, Genie backup assistant) to do it (all refering to a hardware issue). I made a copy of my important files and a ghost of the computer.

I'll take care of this later if enough time.

Thanks again, I'll keep a copy of this thread.

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

duca79 Registered since 16th Aug 2010Thu 26-Aug-10 10:09 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ljubljana, SI

I am running also win7 64bit with no problems with my HW. Win7 has a nice feature. You can run older apps which would run only on older win versions on win7. You just select the appropriate compatibility mode.

Marko

My gear: D90, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor AF-S 35 mm/1,8 G

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Fri 27-Aug-10 06:40 AM
2495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Going Windows 7: advices please ?"
In response to Reply # 18

Vantaa, FI

I am using W7Pro, 64-bit, with only minor problems. Relevant software suite: CNX2, PSE7, CS5 (just learning to use it), Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate. The only problems relating to the 64-bit version are: most software are still 32-bit versions and underutilize the system; many Photoshop plugins are 32-bit only (eg Twain for scanning), which necessitates installation of 32-bit version also; 64-bit W7 does not appear to come with a codec for viewing jpg images in Explorer, which means that I have to use external browsers (problem getting smaller as I learn not to use Explorer). I have experienced occasional hangups with CNX2 (2.2.0), but nothing serious.

With that software suite, I do not have to select any special compatibility modes, I just run the software. Nor has there been a need to disable the Aero (transparent) mode of the user interface.

I have a quad-core i7 running at 3.07 GHz. A dual core i5 with a higher clock speed per core might have been more cost-effective, but that’s a minor issue.

Best regards,
Antero

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3131 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.