Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #305
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 batch cache file setting ?" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 29-Dec-09 03:05 PM
4277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 batch cache file setting ?"

Alberta, CA

Has anyone advice or done any tests - is it faster to set "Cache files created in a Capture NX 2 batch process" on or off?

Intuitively I have always had this set to ON, but why and is it really helping? I occasionally process 200-300 NEF into jpeg in one go (resizing, applying some final output sharpening, and switching to sRGB), so I would of course want the batch to complete as quickly as possible.

I understand that "Cache files saved within the Editor" is advantageous and always have that option ON as well, but I don't have any hard information on what if anything this option is doing for me in BATCH mode and what effect "cache limit size" has on any of this?

The other thing is - why does it leave a residue out there in the cache directory - is that only advantageous if i do SUBSEQUENT edits to these images? In my case, big batches are (normally) done merely to create final jpegs, so I don't do any subsequent edits, in which case maybe I am better off with this option turned off?

I already have the cache placed on a secondary drive separate from my main drive for images, so my question is not really about that aspect.

Hopefully the answer here will help many (if we can find it), Thanks again, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 batch cache file setting ?
F1 Fan
30th Dec 2009
hrbaan
30th Dec 2009
KnightPhoto Gold Member
30th Dec 2009
F1 Fan
30th Dec 2009
Freewheeler10
31st Dec 2009
F1 Fan
31st Dec 2009

F1 Fan Registered since 12th Jan 2007Wed 30-Dec-09 03:01 PM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 batch cache file setting ?"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Louis, US

I just finished running a test with the "Batch Cache" function.

Conclusion: When you batch NEFs, a new cache setting is creating to open the NEF images faster in the editor. It does nothing with JPGs.

Here is the details of my testing:
Mac Pro Nehalem 2.93Ghz Quad-Core with 8G ram

My cache folder is on a separate drive than the OS/Applications.

I cleared the browser cache with preferences and found the edit cache did not clear after pressing the clear button in preferences. I opened the cache folder and moved every file into the trash.

I opened 24 finished images individually an changed an edit, USM, and then changed it back to the original value so NX2 would save the image and a cache file. At this point the only cache files in the cache folder are from these 24 edited images.

I then selected the 24 NEF images in the browser, I right clicked and selected an adjustment of: Fit to 800x800, Convert to sRGB and Output Sharpening for Web combined adjustment. These were saved as JPGs to a different folder than the source folder.
The "Create Cache when Batching" was turned off.
Results: 4:18 to run batch. Average per image, 10.875 secs.

I trashed the JPGs from the folder.

I then ran the same test with the same images and batch adjustment with the "Create Cache During Batch" on.
It took exactly the same amount of time and the Cache folder did not have any new files after the batch process was over.

Next I selected the same 24 NEF files and ran a batch with an adjustment of USM 55-5-4. "Create Cache During Batch" was again turned off. The only cache files in the folder were the edit files.
Results: 4:47 to run batch.

Next I trashed the files from the temporary folder and ran the same batch process with the "Create Cache During Batch" turn on.
Results: 5:26 to run batch. About 12% longer to create cache files.

I then ran the test again, after trashing the files in the temporary folder, to see if the batch process uses the newly created cache files. I turned off the "Create Cache During Batch" for this test.
Results: 4:47 to run batch. The "batch cache files" were now gone after this batch run. Not sure why they were deleted.

Now that the batch files were gone, I opened the temporary folder in NX2 browser, then selected 10 NEF images to open in the editor, 10 is the maximum NX2 will let you open at one time.
Results: 2:59 to open all ten images.

Next I trashed the files from the temporary folder. I then ran another batch of the same ten images with the USM 55-5-4 adjustment with "Create Cache During Batch" turned on. New cache file were found to be in the cache folder.

I then open the temporary folder and selected all ten of the images to open.
Results: 0:14 to open. 92.2% faster.

Final Conclusion: If you are going to batch NEFs and save them as NEFs to do editing on them at a later time, they will open faster in the editor. This may be helpful if you a WB problem on a bunch of images. You could adjust the first image, save it and then copy and paste adjustments in a batch to the rest of the images. I am sure others could come with ways this would be useful.

I have been wanting to test this for a while. Thanks for the excuse to do so.
Have a great day.

Mark,
www.MarkHornePhotography.com

Life is short. Live it as an Exclamation, not an Explanation.

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 30-Dec-09 08:36 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 batch cache file setting ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Kockengen, NL

Mark,

Thank you for your testing. They confirmed my expectations somewhat

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
Web: http://www.hayobaan.nl

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 30-Dec-09 10:03 PM
4277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 batch cache file setting ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Alberta, CA

Mark, your test is much appreciated and well thought out, not sure that I would haver thought through those variations!

From that, I will plan to not create cache from batch unless I know I will be doing subsequent edits to the images!

THANKS again, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

F1 Fan Registered since 12th Jan 2007Wed 30-Dec-09 10:30 PM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 batch cache file setting ?"
In response to Reply # 3

St. Louis, US

Your welcome.

Mark,

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Thu 31-Dec-09 06:31 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX2 batch cache file setting ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Englewood, US

>I cleared the browser cache with preferences and found the
>edit cache did not clear after pressing the clear button in
>preferences. I opened the cache folder and moved every file
>into the trash.

Same thing here. Just to check, I let NX2 build the cache file in the
default location:
~/library/application support/nikon/capture nx/cache/ and saw the
same behavior. Clearing the cache does nothing. This may be a
holdover from my roundabout way to get version 2.2.3 to run
under Snow Leopard, because I seem to remember that the cache
did clear with version 2.2.0 under os 10.5.8. Another thing to ask/
pester/#### to Nikon about...

Photographers' Tea: Earl 18% Grey

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

F1 Fan Registered since 12th Jan 2007Thu 31-Dec-09 09:45 PM
#6. "RE: NX2 batch cache file setting ?"
In response to Reply # 5

St. Louis, US

I was using NX2.2.3 and Mac OS 10.5.8 to perform the test.

Your correct. It use to clear when pressing the button in preferences. Maybe this is why some are reporting NX2 slows down after a some period of use. The folder may have the maximum allowable files in it and NX2 has to delete some to make room thus over taxing a program already struggling to run fast.

If anyone has NX2.2.3 that is now running slower than it did, try manually deleting the Cache-Edit files from the folder. Then re-open some shots and see if it runs any faster. We would be curious to know.

Hmmm....

Mark,

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #305 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.