nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3029
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to speed up use of Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 05-Aug-10 03:20 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
Thu 05-Aug-10 03:32 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hello,

I just sorted through 2500 raw images from a shoot, reducing the set to 750 and then processed each for web posting and printing. I am currently using ACDSee Pro for managing my collection, and sending raw files to Capture NX2 for edits. Here are some ways I made use of Capture NX2 (which I really like as a tool) go faster:

- Do spend a few minutes learning keyboard shortcuts in your most commonly used tools. These can really speed up operations.
- Do completely exit and restart tools on occasion. This helps reset memory pointers and remove sluggishness from memory leaks.
- I find most of my wait time in NX2 is for the raw file to save to disk at the end of my edits. I use control-w in NX2 to close the edit window. It always prompts "do you want to save?" I hit "y", and then alt-tab (Windows, not Mac) to go back to ACDSee. That way, without me having to wait, NX2 will save and the file and close the edit window in the background while I do productive stuff in ACDSee.
- I found NX2 to not be any slower if you have many images open at once. But I did find in some situations that a lot of my time was spent going back and forth between ACDSee and NX2, waiting for file loads, etc. So in ACDSee, I would select 10 or so images and alt-x to send them all at once to NX2. They would load pretty quickly. I'd then make edits to them one at a time, perhaps reusing settings across similar images. Closing them in this fashion however is a bit tedious - you have to exit one at a time and wait for each.
- Absolutely use NX2 .set files to speed up commonly used sharpening, colour profile changes, white balance changes, etc.
- If you edit the first of say 5 similar shots in NX2 and make, for example, a white balance adjustment to this image, consider right-clicking on the white balance box in the adjustment pane and selecting "copy adjustments". Then, after you close this image and open the next, that setting is in your "clipboard" and you can right click in the adjustment pane and paste the setting.
- My last step in NX2 is to bring up the browser view (alt-1), select all of the images, and apply a batch .set of converting from Adobe RGB to sRGB. It is at this point that I instruct the batch job to save the results as jpg, not NEFs. A resize and output sharpening can be applied here, too. This is a convenient way to save raw to jpg conversion until the end, and do it as one big batch job. 750 take an hour or more. Go get a coffee.
- I have a hunch that NX2 is a tad slower if one enables the cache. This is true when editing each image only once - there is no use for keeping a cached version for future edits. Not sure about this. In any case, I disabled the cache in the Preference dialog.
- Although it is taxing on resources, I keep all NX2 adjustment pane edits visible so I can see the results live. What you can do however is "mouse ahead" in NX2. Go ahead and move sliders and make additional adjustments even when NX2 is "thinking" (the timer thing is spinning). NX2 will catch up to you and work on the adjustments in the background, displaying the final result when all done.

Hope this helps. I'm interested in similar ideas!

Peter

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2
cliddell Silver Member
05th Aug 2010
wcfalcon Silver Member
07th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
07th Aug 2010
BR
17th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
17th Aug 2010
BR
17th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
18th Aug 2010
cliddell Silver Member
12th Aug 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
12th Aug 2010
Robman3
06th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
06th Aug 2010
Robman3
06th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
06th Aug 2010
Robman3
06th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
07th Aug 2010
Robman3
09th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
09th Aug 2010
Robman3
09th Aug 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Aug 2010
Baaker Silver Member
06th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
06th Aug 2010
vindex1963
07th Aug 2010
Robman3
07th Aug 2010
vindex1963
07th Aug 2010
hrbaan
10th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
11th Aug 2010
hrbaan
11th Aug 2010
PAStime Silver Member
12th Aug 2010
cliddell Silver Member
12th Aug 2010

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Thu 05-Aug-10 07:52 PM
1003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Peter,
Neat summary and I'm sure if some naysayers would stop complaining and try your suggestions thay may be surprised!

A couple of comments (after treble ***'s):

>I just sorted through 2500 raw images from a shoot, reducing
>the set to 750 and then processed each for web posting and
>printing. I am currently using ACDSee Pro for managing my
>collection, and sending raw files to Capture NX2 for edits.
>Here are some ways I made use of Capture NX2 (which I really
>like as a tool) go faster:
*** I don't ever have so many images to deal with at once but I do use VNX to cull and in many cases to do RAW edits

>- Do spend a few minutes learning keyboard shortcuts in your
>most commonly used tools. These can really speed up
>operations.
*** YES agreed!

>- Do completely exit and restart tools on occasion. This
>helps reset memory pointers and remove sluggishness from
>memory leaks.
*** Interesting will be trying that where necessary...

>- I find most of my wait time in NX2 is for the raw file to
>save to disk at the end of my edits. I use control-w in NX2
>to close the edit window. It always prompts "do you want
>to save?" I hit "y", and then alt-tab
>(Windows, not Mac) to go back to ACDSee. That way, without
>me having to wait, NX2 will save and the file and close the
>edit window in the background while I do productive stuff in
>ACDSee.
*** I have been waiting for the little "save" graph to finish before pressing Alt-Tab to go to VNX - going to try your suggestion. BTW only a 2 or 3 seconds to save here. I only Ctrl-W when I am satisfied with the edits which I evaluate in mt browser (VNX).

>- I found NX2 to not be any slower if you have many images
>open at once. But I did find in some situations that a lot
>of my time was spent going back and forth between ACDSee and
>NX2, waiting for file loads, etc. So in ACDSee, I would
>select 10 or so images and alt-x to send them all at once to
>NX2. They would load pretty quickly. I'd then make edits to
>them one at a time, perhaps reusing settings across similar
>images. Closing them in this fashion however is a bit tedious
>- you have to exit one at a time and wait for each.
>- Absolutely use NX2 .set files to speed up commonly used
>sharpening, colour profile changes, white balance changes,
>etc.
*** Agreed

>- If you edit the first of say 5 similar shots in NX2 and
>make, for example, a white balance adjustment to this image,
>consider right-clicking on the white balance box in the
>adjustment pane and selecting "copy adjustments".
>Then, after you close this image and open the next, that
>setting is in your "clipboard" and you can right
>click in the adjustment pane and paste the setting.
*** Yes, a big help with complex edits too!

>- My last step in NX2 is to bring up the browser view (alt-1),
>select all of the images, and apply a batch .set of converting
>from Adobe RGB to sRGB. It is at this point that I instruct
>the batch job to save the results as jpg, not NEFs. A resize
>and output sharpening can be applied here, too. This is a
>convenient way to save raw to jpg conversion until the end,
>and do it as one big batch job. 750 take an hour or more. Go
>get a coffee.
*** I am not happy with the CNX browser! However I do use the batch mode which of course also allows you to either make a cup of coffee or carry on doing other computer work.

>- I have a hunch that NX2 is a tad slower if one enables the
>cache. This is true when editing each image only once - there
>is no use for keeping a cached version for future edits. Not
>sure about this. In any case, I disabled the cache in the
>Preference dialog.
*** Yes, seems to help.

>- Although it is taxing on resources, I keep all NX2
>adjustment pane edits visible so I can see the results live.
>What you can do however is "mouse ahead" in NX2. Go
>ahead and move sliders and make additional adjustments even
>when NX2 is "thinking" (the timer thing is
>spinning). NX2 will catch up to you and work on the
>adjustments in the background, displaying the final result
>when all done.
*** Ha ha, yes especially if you do a lot of removing, say, telephone wires/poles etc it SLOWS down...

>Hope this helps. I'm interested in similar ideas!
>
>Peter

Thanks Peter for sharing, I am going to try some ideas you have mentioned.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wcfalcon Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Dec 2008Sat 07-Aug-10 12:07 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Randallstown, US

You imply in your last remark that objects such as telemphone wires, etc. can be removed in NX2? Do tell ...

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 07-Aug-10 03:08 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 10

Kingston, CA

>You imply in your last remark that objects such as telemphone
>wires, etc. can be removed in NX2? Do tell ...

Hi.

As you imply, NX2 isn't great for removing objects. The healing brush is only good at removing dust spots and very small objects on an uncomplicated background. It can be used in other situations but is very tedious as compared to say a clone tool found in other tools.

My last point (about mousing ahead) is to say that if you, for example, adjust the Exposure Compensation slider and know that you also want to increase saturation, you don't have to wait for the Exposure Compensation to complete and display in the image. Just go ahead and move other sliders to around where you think you'll need them. NX2 will catch up. In the end, you'll save lots of time.

Peter

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006Tue 17-Aug-10 12:11 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 11

Glen Mills, US

>
>My last point (about mousing ahead) is to say that if you, for
>example, adjust the Exposure Compensation slider and know that
>you also want to increase saturation, you don't have to wait
>for the Exposure Compensation to complete and display in the
>image. Just go ahead and move other sliders to around where
>you think you'll need them. NX2 will catch up. In the end,
>you'll save lots of time.
>
I'm not sure I agree with this, for two reasons.

First, from an editing point of view, unless you know exactly what saturation level you want, you need to wait for the result of the exposure compensation in order to see what you are adjusting. The two adjustments interact in that if you adjust exposure to just remove clipping, changing saturation could re-introduce it.

Second, from a speed point of view, it still takes just as much time to do the two operations - they are not done in parallel - so the time saving doesn't seem very significant.

Barry

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 17-Aug-10 02:52 AM
#27. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 26

Kingston, CA

Hi Barry,

I see your point. My unscientific observation however is different. For example, if you know in advance from editing previous images in a series that:

- white balance should be set to cloudy
- about 0.5EV exposure compensation (a bit more than the previous)will be needed
- saturation will need to be bumped up a bit

...then go ahead and move all of the buttons as required. If you move one slider, and wait for a complete redraw, and then move the next slider, and wait, and finally move the last slider, and wait, you will wait for NX2 to not only apply each setting, but also (I am guessing) write the image to cache, render the image for display in the image window, and perform some usual internal housekeeping.

Cheers,
Peter

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006Tue 17-Aug-10 11:07 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 27

Glen Mills, US

Peter,

I opened an image and one by one moved all the Quick Fix sliders a certain amount, waiting for the spinning disk to stop between each adjustment.

I then did a File/Revert and repeated the adjustments, but this time moving the sliders without waiting for the image updates.

The time it took was the same either way. Maybe it's different on your system.

My biggest frustration with Capture NX2 is the s-l-o-w response to even simple adjustments such as exposure compensation or even zooming in (the above adjustments took almost 30 seconds on my system). For that reason, I've been experimenting with Bibble 5. That has its own set of issues, but at least you don't wait around several seconds every time you make an adjustment.

Barry

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 18-Aug-10 02:33 AM
#29. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 28

Kingston, CA

Hi Barry,

Your method of testing this is better than mine. You measured the elpased time for each trial. I only thought it felt faster to "mouse ahead".

30 seconds is a long time. I don't think I could tolerate that. I do however have to wait 5 or 10 seconds at times and that is annoying enough!

Peter

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Thu 12-Aug-10 03:46 PM
1003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 10

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi wcfalcon,
"You imply in your last remark that objects such as telemphone wires, etc. can be removed in NX2? Do tell ... "
===

I have uploaded 2 copies of a pic where I decided to eliminate a streetlight pole in front of a flowering tree using CNX2. They are in my gallery under "flowers and shrubs"...

With the large amount of "healing" involved expect the program to slow down somewhat, wheras the simple removal of spots etc is virtually instantanious.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Thu 12-Aug-10 06:21 PM
330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 24

US

well, i'm impressed...i've never been able to it this well - you must have a great deal of patience - but still, there are some signs of what i call 'the star trek effect' or 'beam me up scotty' especially at the top of the tree and at the bottom, where the base of the lamp was...as you've demonstrated, nx2 can be adequate but, i'm not sure it's optimal for this task...
mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 06-Aug-10 01:18 AM
1842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Wow, neat and clean.

Thanks, I feel like I was in the medical theater watching a surgery.

Many thanks,

Rob

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 06-Aug-10 03:04 AM
#5. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Kingston, CA

>Wow, neat and clean.
>Thanks, I feel like I was in the medical theater watching a
>surgery.
>Many thanks,
>Rob

This sounds like a follow up message for a different thread

Peter

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 06-Aug-10 01:37 AM
1842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 06-Aug-10 01:38 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

"My last step in NX2 is to bring up the browser view (alt-1), select all of the images, and apply a batch .set of converting from Adobe RGB to sRGB. It is at this point that I instruct the batch job to save the results as jpg, not NEFs. A resize and output sharpening can be applied here, too. This is a convenient way to save raw to jpg conversion until the end, and do it as one big batch job"

Peter, in this section you are using Adobe as the RGB choice on site.

I know that some folks use this color set versus RGB in camera, my question is why is Adobe RGB preferred if changes are made back into sRGB at the time of transfer in format?

Would it not be easier to simply stay with the RGB setting, color gamut aside from camera to output?

If this sounds like a dumb question, sorry, but of the books and such I've read (so far), these point to using the sRGB as I recall anyway.

Thanks and anyone can chime in on this.

Rob

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 06-Aug-10 03:04 AM
#4. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Kingston, CA

Hello,

I shoot RAW so that I have the maximum amount of available data going into NX2 from the camera. I then use Adobe RGB within NX2 as that has a larger gamut than sRGB. This approach will give me the largest information space within which to manipulate images. If an image is destined for web viewing or email, I convert it to sRGB.

Cheers,
Peter

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 06-Aug-10 08:48 PM
#9. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 06-Aug-10 08:50 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Peter, thanks so far.
In the D3S and D90 I set both for both formats, (NEF and JPEG at maximums) since speed shooting isn't something I have a need for as yet.

I do understand the gamut difference in Adobe RGB.

What I guess I am asking is which setting in the camera do you use, Adobe RGB or sRGB?

Is that setting limited to rendered images then on the camera viewing screen screen, and not the actual RAW data itself?

Also, I may be confused still and yet but in Jason's book, he alludes that there is a JPEG constructed with every NEF and save-edit so I assume this image is what is actually being viewed as the NEF, a facsimile/vellum so to speak.

It would also be another reason that there is intense processing management running in the background.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 07-Aug-10 03:12 AM
#12. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 9

Kingston, CA

Jason's book is excellent.

I have my camera set to Adobe RGB. Since I only shoot raw, that setting merely sets a property in the file so that when NX2 reads in the raw, it brings it into this colour space. If I shot RAW+JPG as you do, then the JPG would be created for the Adobe RGB colour space.

There are two JPGs embedded within a raw, NEF file:

- a thumbnail
- a full size image

I am quite certain the latter is in the colour space set in your camera. I say that because I have a utility that does a simple extraction of that jpg from the file and I recall, in my situation, that the file required the Adobe RGB colour space to look right.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Peter

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Mon 09-Aug-10 07:39 AM
#16. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 12
Mon 09-Aug-10 07:40 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Perhaps it's overkill then to use both, likely eats up microseconds in the process. I only do it as a fail safe.

Thanks for the clarification.

I see that your located in the Great Lakes region, have you ever been to the Butterfly sanctuary on the Niagara River below the falls?

Thanks,

Rob

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 09-Aug-10 02:25 PM
#17. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 16

Kingston, CA

>I see that your located in the Great Lakes region, have you
>ever been to the Butterfly sanctuary on the Niagara River
>below the falls?

Hi Rob. No, that is none popular place but we have not yet been there. It's been on our to-do list for a while. We've heard good things about it. Good too for the kids. Have you been? Peter

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Mon 09-Aug-10 08:52 PM
#18. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 17

West of Santa Monica, US

It was about 10 years ago, before I had camera/lenses that would have made it stand out other than memory.

Very wonderful place to spend an afternoon in.

Cheers,

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 06-Aug-10 03:25 AM
13327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Peter a very nice summary of speed tricks. I have had my cache set to very low levels for a few months now (not completely off). I believe this single change has been the cause of my not experiencing any crashes from that point forward. I am still hoping for a NX3 release soon.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Fri 06-Aug-10 08:59 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Dumbarton, UK

Applying the same WB, sharpening, contrast or saturation to 750 images bewilders me. The images will be different to each other, even in small ways. Treating them all the same way - imo - isn't the right way to go about editing images even if you are pushed for time. Why 750? It must be a big web site that needs this many. Sorry, this is scary stuff?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 06-Aug-10 02:29 PM
#8. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 06-Aug-10 02:31 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>Applying the same WB, sharpening, contrast or saturation to
>750 images bewilders me. The images will be different to each
>other, even in small ways. Treating them all the same way -
>imo - isn't the right way to go about editing images even if
>you are pushed for time. Why 750? It must be a big web site
>that needs this many. Sorry, this is scary stuff?

Hi. Thanks for the feedback.

It is 750 images because I was a volunteer photographer at a Triathlon and decided to capture lots of images of the participants for them to see themselves. They are uploaded here:

http://peterstokes.net/Events/2010Tri

Note that a basic subscription on SmugMug (what I use) has no limits on number of images or storage space used.

There are indeed situations in which it makes sense to apply the same setting to many images during a workflow. Here are some examples:

- you want to apply a new base capture sharpening to all raw images before going through them to apply additional sharpening as needed
- you want to convert all from one colour space to another
- you want to resize them all in terms of pixel size
- after a resizing, you want to apply an output sharpening
- you had your camera on auto WB and it didn't do a good job; WB is all over the place. You decide to apply "cloudy" to all images to set all images to a known WB
- you shot many images at noon in harsh sunlight and highlights are blown out in just about all of them. You apply a -0.5EV to all images and then go back and fix the few that need something different

Cheers,
Peter

vindex1963 Registered since 27th Jan 2008Sat 07-Aug-10 05:08 AM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 07-Aug-10 05:09 AM by vindex1963

Phoenix, US

There is a lot of details to read here but turn off noise reduction and I hope that wasn't pointed out already. NR makes processing painfully slow.
Thanks for the cache tip. I turned it off.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sat 07-Aug-10 07:54 AM
#14. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 13

West of Santa Monica, US

Glen looks upset with PHXPD or was it Joe's troopers?

vindex1963 Registered since 27th Jan 2008Sat 07-Aug-10 02:53 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 14

Phoenix, US

>Glen looks upset with PHXPD or was it Joe's troopers?

Hahaha the hometown boy. I think The PD and Joe got to him. I think he moved away.

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 10-Aug-10 07:01 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Kockengen, NL

Peter,

Nice list of speed/usage tips! They largely coincide with what I do and would suggest to others too!

Where we differ (though I fully agree with your approach, when that is your workflow) is only on two minor things:

• Batch saving of the images to JPG, this is where I use PhotoMechanic, it uses the (high quality) embedded JPG and saving 750 images this way, only takes a couple of minutes.

• Cache. As I frequently find myself revisiting just edited images, having the cache enabled actually saves me a bit of time. Especially after I have batch applied a "base" set of enhancements, and then go over each image individually...

Thanks for posting

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
Web: http://www.hayobaan.nl

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 11-Aug-10 02:05 PM
#20. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 19
Wed 11-Aug-10 02:07 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hi Hayo,

Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like a good use of Photomechanic, a tool with a good reputation. Does it handle a colour space conversion at the same time? I use NX2 in the Adobe RGB space and I would guess the embedded jpeg is also described in the Adobe RGB space.

Regarding the cache: I just had an idea. I wonder if NX2 usage would speed up if:

1. read in images from camera
2. while having a coffee, batch process them all with NX2 to do something trivial. This has the intended side effect of putting the images in the cache.
3. use NX2 interactively, benefiting from images in the cache

Something to try!

Peter

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 11-Aug-10 02:48 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 20

Kockengen, NL

Hi Peter,

Yes, PhotoMechanic takes care of handling the colour space as well. When saving-as, you can choose whether or not to convert the colour space to sRGB or to leave it as is (i.e., ProPhoto in my case, aRGB in yours).

Your suggestions for actually making use of the case is basically what I do (though the "trivial" step in my case already involves setting many things to some base value for the selected images, this includes some basic (imo) edit steps for e.g., curve and colour adjustments) and it seems to work for me just fine

Cheers,

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
Web: http://www.hayobaan.nl

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 12-Aug-10 02:41 PM
#22. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 21

Kingston, CA

>Yes, PhotoMechanic takes care of handling the colour space as
>well. When saving-as, you can choose whether or not to convert
>the colour space to sRGB or to leave it as is (i.e., ProPhoto
>in my case, aRGB in yours).

Another plus for PhotoMechanic. I think when they introduce cataloging, I'll buy it.

Cheers,
Peter

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Thu 12-Aug-10 03:17 PM
#23. "RE: How to speed up use of Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 22

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Peter,

Yes, I am waiting for PM to introduce File handling since that is the way I work.

I need a quick search for file names (or portion of file names), a search and replace, as well as the usual adding date taken, numbering etc. Using Bulk Rename Utility together with VNX to get that functionality now.

I know this CAN be done in PM as was kindly explained to me by the folk at CameraBits when I trialled it, but it was not built in feature and, for me, the "work around" was just too complicated...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #3029 Previous topic | Next topic