nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #298
View in linear mode

Subject: "Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Win 7 ..." Previous topic | Next topic
ACon Registered since 25th Dec 2009Fri 01-Jan-10 10:48 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Win 7 64-bit "

US

Not sure if anyone else has had a problem doing Nikon Updates (via Nikon Message Center) after upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit, but I did. I was not able to run updates from the "help" tab in NX2 and the program would hang for a several seconds at startup (with the blue circle cursor spinning in circles).

After not making progress on this issue with Nikon Tech Support, I did the following on my own it all is working now and NX2 starts up faster. For background, I use a PC with an Intel Quad Core processor (2.4Ghz), Win 7 64-bit, 6GB RAM, NVidia 9800GT 512MB card, and 3 HDs (1 for OS and 2 for photos)

After doing a manual upgrade to Capture NX2 v2.2.4, I checked the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon\Message Center and saw that there were only 2 files listed: NkMC.exe (176kb) and NkMCLang.dll (56kb). I then installed Nikon Transfer v1.5 and saw no change to this folder.

Prior to upgrading from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit, I used the Microsoft Easy Transfer Program to copy all my files and setting to one of my alternate hard drives. This transfer folder was called windows.old (created by the Easy Transfer program). So I decided to check what was in the Message Center folder in the Windows.old folder, since Message Center worked before I upgraded.

There were 8 files in that folder, including a large NkMC.exe (1,268kb) and the NkMCLang.dll. So I renamed the 2 files in my newer Message Center folder (I just put the workd "former" in front of the file name), and then copied the 8 files from the Message Center folder from Windows.old. I rebooted the system and all worked flawlessly.

***If anyone has read this far AND is using NX2 with Win 7 64-bit, can you tell me what files are in your <Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon\Message Center> folder?

Thanks,
Alex

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Wi...
TiggerGTO Silver Member
02nd Jan 2010
ACon
02nd Jan 2010
JazzDoc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
02nd Jan 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
02nd Jan 2010
ACon
02nd Jan 2010

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Sat 02-Jan-10 02:20 AM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Win 7 64-bit "
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

I upgraded my laptop from Vista Professional 64-bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I have been having problems with color management that appear to be isolated to NX2 (see this thread). I have done an uninstall followed by a reinstall, but don't see any difference in the color management problem. I haven't tried starting the Message Center, but here are the contents of the directory that you asked for:

10/19/2006 11:02 151,552 libexpatw.dll
4/13/2004 15:24 15,714 License.txt
1/10/2007 0:24 271,849 MCA-manual.pdf
8/17/2005 23:00 57,344 MCALang.dll
10/19/2006 11:02 163,840 MCARecLib.dll
4/16/2007 13:41 180,224 NkMC.exe
5/08/2007 11:07 57,344 NkMCLang.dll
10/19/2006 11:02 245,408 unicows.dll

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

ACon Registered since 25th Dec 2009Sat 02-Jan-10 07:51 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Win 7 64-bit "
In response to Reply # 1

US

Danny,

Thanks. I am going to recalibrate my monitor and setup color management later this weekend. So I can't tell you if I have those problems yet.

Let me know if your updates work via message center. The files you listed were the exact ones (same dates) I had before in my old Message Center folder, before updating to NX2 v 2.2.4 in Win 7, with the exception that the my older NkMC.exe file (10/19/2006) was much larger than NkMC.exe file (4/16/2007) you listed. I did try to run the newer NkMC.exe file (4/16/2007) with the rest of the older files, but that didn't work.

Alex

JazzDoc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Sat 02-Jan-10 01:49 PM
406 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Win 7 64-bit "
In response to Reply # 2

Rochester, US

I found the same list as noted by Danny above, and checking for updates from NX2 works fine in my system.

Danny started another post that might be useful to you regarding color management, and there are some good pointers there on Win7 installations and woes that have shown up. In my case, I needed to replace an older NVIDIA card, even after trying the newest drivers.

Gary Paige

my gallery

www.frontpaige-photography.com

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Sat 02-Jan-10 04:59 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Win 7 64-bit "
In response to Reply # 3

Apex, US

If I start NX2 and select "Help -> Update Capture NX 2...", I get the following error message after a short pause. I can not tell if it is a problem with the message center or if it there is a problem with Nikon's server. I am definitely connected to the Internet though.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

ACon Registered since 25th Dec 2009Sat 02-Jan-10 05:42 PM
#5. "RE: Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Win 7 64-bit "
In response to Reply # 4

US

Danny,

That was the same error I was getting. When I replaced the NkMC.exe file with the older version (the one I was running before the upgrade) it then worked well.

I just checked an update and it seemed to work - that is it went out, communicated with the Nikon server, and told me there are no updates available (I have 3 cameras and a few Nikon software products listed in Message Center that it checks each time I update).

On my computer, the newer version of NkMC.exe installed after I upgraded to Win 7 64-bit and then did the NX2 reinstallation and ver 2.2.4 update (manually). This file is dated 4/16/2007 2:41pm (EST) on my computer and has a file size of 176 kb.

The one I replaced it with, that works, was from before this upgrades and is dated 10/19/2006 12:02 pm and is 1,268 kb.

I'll try to share this info with Nikon Tech Support next week, but I think there is a bug in the newer NkMC.exe file with Win 7 64-bit. Although I have not done any detailed diagnostics, I do think my NX2 starts up faster and runs better now that my Message Center is working properly.

Thanks for sharing,
Alex

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #298 Previous topic | Next topic