nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Win 7 64-bit

ACon

US
23 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ACon Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Dec 2009
Fri 01-Jan-10 09:48 PM

Not sure if anyone else has had a problem doing Nikon Updates (via Nikon Message Center) after upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit, but I did. I was not able to run updates from the "help" tab in NX2 and the program would hang for a several seconds at startup (with the blue circle cursor spinning in circles).

After not making progress on this issue with Nikon Tech Support, I did the following on my own it all is working now and NX2 starts up faster. For background, I use a PC with an Intel Quad Core processor (2.4Ghz), Win 7 64-bit, 6GB RAM, NVidia 9800GT 512MB card, and 3 HDs (1 for OS and 2 for photos)

After doing a manual upgrade to Capture NX2 v2.2.4, I checked the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon\Message Center and saw that there were only 2 files listed: NkMC.exe (176kb) and NkMCLang.dll (56kb). I then installed Nikon Transfer v1.5 and saw no change to this folder.

Prior to upgrading from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit, I used the Microsoft Easy Transfer Program to copy all my files and setting to one of my alternate hard drives. This transfer folder was called windows.old (created by the Easy Transfer program). So I decided to check what was in the Message Center folder in the Windows.old folder, since Message Center worked before I upgraded.

There were 8 files in that folder, including a large NkMC.exe (1,268kb) and the NkMCLang.dll. So I renamed the 2 files in my newer Message Center folder (I just put the workd "former" in front of the file name), and then copied the 8 files from the Message Center folder from Windows.old. I rebooted the system and all worked flawlessly.

***If anyone has read this far AND is using NX2 with Win 7 64-bit, can you tell me what files are in your <Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon\Message Center> folder?

Thanks,
Alex

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Solution for NX2 / Nikon Message Center issue in Wi...

G