Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #292
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 with Lightroom/Photoshop" Previous topic | Next topic
ahubba Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Apr 2009Fri 01-Jan-10 02:36 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 with Lightroom/Photoshop"

North Kingstown, US

I'm a software newbie - but feel somewhat comfortable with NX2 and just slightly familiar with Photoshop. I have read on the forum that the best and most accurate NEF processing is with Nikon software - but it sounds like edits I do in NX2 are not seen by LR/Photoshop. So how does one use the three tools? Do you have to do work in NX2 - and then save it as a TIFF before using Lightroom or Photoshop? Am I correct that NX2 edits are lost if you save them as a NEF file?

Thanks for your help
Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 with Lightroom/Photoshop
TiggerGTO Silver Member
01st Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
02nd Jan 2010
pdekman Gold Member
02nd Jan 2010
ahubba Silver Member
03rd Jan 2010
pdekman Gold Member
03rd Jan 2010

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 01-Jan-10 02:55 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 with Lightroom/Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

Your understanding is correct, but I would not say that the NX2 edits are lost. It's just that if you make changes and save them to the nef, only NX2 can see those changes. To get the modified image into Lightroom or Photoshop, you have to use "save as" or "open with" from NX2 to create a tif.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 02-Jan-10 05:29 AM
12592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 with Lightroom/Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Alan there are many differences between Photoshop and NX2. NX2 saves all edits right to the NEf file as anon distructive list that can be revisited and changed at any time in the future. Photshop cannot read NX2 edits,just like NX2 cannot read Photoshop edits to the NEF file. The edits are still there, but photoshopalso saves their edits in a sidecar not the NEF. You also know I am sure that Photohsop and lightroom cannot read any of the Nikon camera settings and therefore cannot change them in post, like NX2 can. So if for some reason you want to perform some edits in Lightroom or Photoshop after editing the NEF in NX2 you must pass a 16 bit TIF to those products by clicking on open with in NX2. It will then send a 16 bit TIF version of your NEF to the Program you chose

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 02-Jan-10 10:02 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 with Lightroom/Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Alan -

As a self-proclaimed 'software newbie', are you looking for a non-destructive, raw image editor in particular or would a pixel-based editor suffice? Or, are you attempting to put together a complete workflow solution from image capture, to storage, to printing? Anything you can share regarding your existing workflow and desired solutions would help.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

ahubba Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Apr 2009Sun 03-Jan-10 03:52 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 with Lightroom/Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 3

North Kingstown, US

I'm looking for a workflow solution that's easy to learn and use. I have some experience with NX2 and like it - and a little less with Photoshop (definitely struggling to learn). I was actually wondering what Lightroom brings to the table for someone in my position - 'newbie amateur' with aspirations to improve

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sun 03-Jan-10 04:59 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 with Lightroom/Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 4

Swisher, US

The 'easiest' workflow solution is probably shooting .jpg in sRGB colorspace and doing simple adjustments afterward. You'll have a file that contains the viewable image, is easily shared and looks pretty much like what you see on the back of the camera. A large host of software will handle these files such as PS-Elements, Picasa, etc. Not a lot different than using a P&S camera.

Many of us choose to shoot in raw format though to obtain the advantages of greater bit-depth and much more latitude in post-processing than a directly rendered JPEG or TIFF allows. As you are using NX2, I assume you're shooting raw? Getting a grasp on the fundamentals of raw sensor data (.NEF) + rendering recipe (all those sliders) = viewable output file (.jpg/.tif)?

Lightroom was designed to be a photographic-centric environment that includes a raw image editor, image management tools, multi-image printing layout, as well as web-hosting and slideshow viewing. Some folks like to minimize the number of apps needed in their workflow so LR accomodates this pretty well, others like to choose specific "best-in-class" apps for each step and build their own workflow environment. These choices are highly individualized which makes it difficult to recommend a specific solution - and is why most sw vendors offer 30-day trials of their apps.

I won't try and summarize the nuances of the which sw is better debate - search the threads for some insight there and give them a try. I will say that making an informed choice - AND REALLY LEARNING - the software you choose will go a long way to having a productive workflow.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #292 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.