Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2873
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX and NEF files" Previous topic | Next topic
davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Mon 19-Jul-10 06:21 AM
424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX and NEF files"

Sydney, AU

Hi

does ViewNX display the RAW files, or does it just display the jpeg that is embedded in the RAW file? I know that ViewNX displays the changes when I edit a RAW file in Capture NX2, but is it actually displaying it from the RAW information, or from the jpeg?

I am considering using other organising/ display software, but was under the impression that only View NX could display NEF files with the edits from NX2 shown, but now I wonder if all viewing programs just display the jpeg, which NX2 has updated.

David

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bobr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jun 2004Mon 19-Jul-10 03:31 PM
343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX and NEF files"
In response to Reply # 0

pitman, US

Hi David,

In answer to your question, View NX does display the edited NEF image, with a small color control point icon to the right of the label under the image (the icon indicating it has been edited)and I believe in order
to have other vendor's software display the altered image, you'll have to save the changed image into another format (jpeg, tif).

Bob

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 20-Jul-10 06:48 AM
2493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX and NEF files"
In response to Reply # 1

Vantaa, FI

ViewNX indeed shows the edited NEF file, but apparently the embedded jpg image that reflects the edits. Otherwise I can't figure out how NX2 takes up to 20 seconds to re-create an edited image while ViewNX shows the edits instantaneously.

Best regards
Antero

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Tue 20-Jul-10 12:33 PM
992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX and NEF files"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 20-Jul-10 12:34 PM by cliddell

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Antero,

"ViewNX indeed shows the edited NEF file, but apparently the embedded jpg image that reflects the edits. Otherwise I can't figure out how NX2 takes up to 20 seconds to re-create an edited image while ViewNX shows the edits instantaneously."
===

Yes, I agree. However, when editing say for example WB and Shadow protection in ViewNX then it also takes several seconds to "appear" because it is updating the RAW file as well as the JPEG.

Later, the updated RAW file if opened in CaptureNX, will retain all the edits done in VNX.

So, to answer your query, all VNX has to do is open the file edited in CNX (both RAW and JPEG are updated when edited in CNX the same as when edited in VNX)...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Tue 20-Jul-10 10:12 PM
424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ViewNX and NEF files"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

Hi

thanks for the replies.

I have heard recently that ViewNX cannot display NEF files that have been edited in CNX directly from the RAW data, specially if using Color Efex Pro filters, so it just displays the embedded jpeg.

I tried last night using ViewNX and Photo Mechanic trial version, I edited a photo in CNX and applied some wild Color Efex filters, then saved the file.

Both Photo Mechanic and ViewNX displayed the files with the edits almost instantly, so it seems that both of them are actually displaying the embedded jpeg.

I have always thought I should use ViewNX as my viewing program because it is the only one that displays the RAW files with CNX edits, but it seems I was wrong, and any viewer will just display the embedded jpeg.

This leads me to a new question: Anyone who uses CNX2 for editing, and Photo Mechanic for viewing, what is the main advantage you have found from Photo Mechanic? I like the interface, but would like to know what else it does better than View NX for the $150.00?

David

My Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2873 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.