Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #275
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do you copy Recorede Value White Balance with NX2?" Previous topic | Next topic
b2martin_a Registered since 10th Jan 2007Mon 04-Jan-10 01:13 PM
475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do you copy Recorede Value White Balance with NX2?"

US

If you have a "Recorded Value" white balance in one image that you would like to use for other images, how do you copy this to the other images?

If you copy the "Recorded Value" white balance and paste it to other images, you get the "Recorded Value" for the other images, not the white balance you would like to copy from the first image. If you do the same in Photoshop RAW converter, try to synchronize the "As Shot" white balance to other images, you get the "As Shot" white balance for the other images - just like NX2. In Photoshop you can change the "As Shot" white balance tag to "Custom" without changing the white balance values and then synchronize this to other images - I have not found a way to do this in NX2 without changing the actual white balance value in the first image. Does anyone have a way to accomplish this?

If I change the white balance in NX2 to "Set Gray Point" and make a small change (change the 1 to 1.01) for one on the two curves, then I can copy this new value to other images. This is almost the same white balance value, but not exactly the same. Does anyone have a better method?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do you copy Recorede Value White Balance with N...
beentherdunit
04th Jan 2010
b2martin_a
04th Jan 2010
nightcat
05th Jan 2010
beentherdunit
05th Jan 2010
b2martin_a
05th Jan 2010
hrbaan
05th Jan 2010

beentherdunit Registered since 30th Dec 2009Mon 04-Jan-10 06:59 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How do you copy Recorede Value White Balance with NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

"Recorded Value" could be Daylight or Flash or a K value.

If it was one of these you can do it.

If it was originally AUTO then you are stuck.

I mostly use a K value (for instance 5560K) and adjust as necessary in NX2 - this can then be batched.

DG

b2martin_a Registered since 10th Jan 2007Mon 04-Jan-10 08:21 PM
475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How do you copy Recorede Value White Balance with NX2?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I have copied the slightly adjusted "Recorded Value" using the method I described to an entire folder of images and batch processed them. The white balance appears to be modified to the correct value - each image was modified by a different amount since they had different "Recorded Values" from the camera.

I have tried this method using images where the "Recorded Value" was with the camera using both custom white balance and Auto. It does not appear to matter if the "Recorded Value" from the camera was due to using Auto, Custom, Preset, or K values.

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Tue 05-Jan-10 02:47 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How do you copy Recorede Value White Balance with NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

Hi,

Just change "Recorded Value" to "Use Gray Point". No other changes are needed. Just Copy and Paste the Camera Settings.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

beentherdunit Registered since 30th Dec 2009Tue 05-Jan-10 03:15 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How do you copy Recorede Value White Balance with NX2?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Well done Kraig - good tip!

BTD

b2martin_a Registered since 10th Jan 2007Tue 05-Jan-10 05:53 PM
#5. "RE: How do you copy Recorede Value White Balance with NX2?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks Kraig. That is the one combination I had not tried, this appears to be the equivalent of changing the "As Shot" to "Custom" in Adobe Camera RAW which then allows you to paste or as Adobe says synchronize white balance in any other images.

I have seen this question ask several times on this forum and the response has always been that you can't do it in NX.

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 05-Jan-10 08:35 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How do you copy Recorede Value White Balance with NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kockengen, NL

>If I change the white balance in NX2 to "Set Gray
>Point" and make a small change (change the 1 to 1.01) for
>one on the two curves, then I can copy this new value to other
>images. This is almost the same white balance value, but not
>exactly the same. Does anyone have a better method?

Actually I found that "changing" it to 1.0 would work too, but you had to really have "changed it" for the copy to work and not stick to "Recorded Value".

But the tip to use "Use Gray Point" is even better of course, and something I hadn't though of myself either

Cheers,

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
Web: http://www.hayobaan.nl

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #275 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.