nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2741
View in linear mode

Subject: "W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optio..." Previous topic | Next topic
Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 02-Jul-10 10:29 AM
1842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"

West of Santa Monica, US

Pinching myself so far...I bought the W7 Pro upgrade and somehow, the beast is running at light speed and...drum roll please, so far no hung screens or stopped edits but it's too early to tell, I've got to get some sleep.

I did a complete C drive repartition by mistake but perhaps that is what was needed.

I know some of all y'all have no issues with NX2 but Moi, not so much, as many folks here are waiting for Nik and the NDA genie to sprinkle pixie dust on Nikon with an NX3 and yadda, Yoda, yadda...

In reviewing the Nikon downloads, what is this for?

http://www.nikonimglib.com/opc/landscape/index.html.en

Thanks,

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is O...
TiggerGTO Silver Member
02nd Jul 2010
Robman3
02nd Jul 2010
Robman3
02nd Jul 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Jul 2010
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
05th Jul 2010
Robman3
06th Jul 2010
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Jul 2010
Robman3
07th Jul 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th Jul 2010
Robman3
07th Jul 2010
07th Jul 2010
Robman3
08th Jul 2010
08th Jul 2010
Robman3
10th Jul 2010
11th Jul 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
12th Jul 2010
Robman3
12th Jul 2010
12th Jul 2010
Robman3
12th Jul 2010

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 02-Jul-10 01:49 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

The Picture Control software allows you to work with custom picture controls in NX2. If you use a custom picture control in the camera, you have to also load it into NX2 so that it can render the images correctly. I don't know if it still true, but when the portrait and landscape picture controls were first introduced you needed to load them into NX2 with the picture control software. It may be that the NX2 installer was updated to automatically include those picture controls.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 02-Jul-10 05:20 PM
1842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 1

West of Santa Monica, US

Thanks Danny,

I'll take a look at some threads about it.

Much obliged,

Rob

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 02-Jul-10 09:52 PM
#3. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

The software did crash once after I moved the temp files from the C drive over to the eSATA drive (Preferences) where the working storage data files are located (Hitachi 2TB, 7200 RPM, back up on a Seagate USB drive)

I went back into preferences and reset the temp file to the C drive and could not force a crash under sever fader wiggle. The cache files are also on the eSATA drive.

I hope this is it for a while.

I do appreciate LR3's functions for noise and sharpening however, other aspects make NX2 a better choice for NEF edits, IMHO.

Thanks,

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 04-Jul-10 03:22 AM
13476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

What does LR noise and sharpening functions do that NX2 does not? I have no problems using the noise reduction and sharpening tools in NX2, especially since I can do sharpening locally.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 05-Jul-10 08:06 PM
6306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

I don't find CNX 2's noise reduction to be as effective as Noiseware or Dfine, although these two require application to a JPG after saving from CNX2.

If Nik would please make a Dfine plug in for CNX, I'd have almost no reason to use Photohop.

The only other PS plug in I use regularly is Genuine Fractals.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Tue 06-Jul-10 09:27 PM
#6. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 4

West of Santa Monica, US

I suspect my level of understanding is behind the curve on this. I'll re-read my two books this afternoon and see what I am missing in NX2.

Also the controls in LR3 seem very intuitive and I started using LR because of infernally incessant crashes in NX2 but I prefer NX2 as a platform because it's native to NEF.

I'll get back to you and thanks for the reply.

Rob

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 06-Jul-10 10:48 PM
6306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 07-Jul-10 02:33 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

I find CNX 2 to be very stable in a Win Vista 64 bit environment. Also reasonably fast (Quad Core processor and 8GB RAM). As yet, I haven't come up with enough of a reason to go to Win7 since my system is working so well. I may have 1 session in 30 or 40 when CNX 2 screws up. I have worse problems with Photoshop freezing or not loading plug-in's properly.

One of the reasons that I went with CNX is that I thought the interface was so much easier to learn than PS and much more intuitive. Only later did I fully appreciate the apps power and advantages in handling NEFs.

I guess it just depends on how you like to work and how you think.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 07-Jul-10 02:11 AM
#8. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 7

West of Santa Monica, US

Mick,

I'll just have to wait for the CNX 3 like the other forward one step, two step back folks here.

I'm having less an issue than before I upgraded to W7P and repartitioned the HD.

Perhaps I'm over saturating my i7 chip set and need to click and fader with more patience.

I did re-read both tech books on CNX this afternoon and after a year now, the whole NIK color point and NWB point tool also made a whole lot of sense, also the noise, general edit settings were much easier to understand.

So I'll take the keys and try not to crash the car.

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 07-Jul-10 06:31 AM
13476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

Rob it is not your chip set, I am only running a Core 2 Dou chip. How much memory are you using? The moe the better. If you are running Win 7 64 bit try it least 4- 8 GB of RAM for better performance

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 07-Jul-10 08:04 AM
#10. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 9

West of Santa Monica, US

Bob, I maxed the ram memory a while back at 8GB.

I have the swap files and the main library set to the external eSATA, the cache on a USB drive and the program on C.

Trying to noodle it, very frustrating.

Thanks, again,

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 07-Jul-10 09:50 PM
#11. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

External Drives will be really slow. I use internal drives for my cache which are separate from my boot drive. External drives are good for storage of photos, but I would never use one for operations, your transfer rate would be extremely slow compared to an internal connection, even with eSATA. Not sure what you mean by swap files. are you talking about RAM page files? I keep mine also on a separate internal drive. If you are talking about storage of images you are working on, my set up is I use a large internal drive for my main storage. I keep another drive which I call "scratch" for use by programs like NX2 and Adobe to use at temporary files when you are woking on an image. I have an external drive to store a copy of original NEFs when first loaded onto my computer and I also use an external NAS to make a backup of my main internal photo storage drive on a automatic regular basis.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Thu 08-Jul-10 08:13 AM
#12. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 08-Jul-10 09:22 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Bob,

Thanks for the help and interest.

I have an older Hyper-threading P3 machine with separate internal 10,000 rpm drives for digital recording but my main photo beast is a late model Toshiba Laptop.

I'll study your method and perhaps alter the scheme and see what occurs.

Yes paging files are also swap files in another friend's lexicon.

While we are at it, because I'm not using a stand alone tower should I:

Uncheck the keep edits active button on preferences?

Place the paging activity to the C drive, or the eSATA drive (7,200 RPM 2TB)?

Also, there are text files appearing as usr_report, most at the NEF 14 bit uncompressed NEF size (25,000KB) and I remove them as they begin to bloat the C drive, which I wish were larger even at 500GB.

Anything else you can suggest is of course appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 08-Jul-10 04:35 PM
#13. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 12

San Jose, US

I'll give it a shot:

Since you said you have an i7 chip and 8 GB of RAM do not uncheck the box on edits active. You are most likly woking completely in RAM. my box is checked with a less powerful processor and I see no problems.

Paiing files are a bit more tricky. With 8 GB of RAM you will generally use page files less, but I would think you are better off keeping the page files on C drive in your case rather than on the eSATA, but why not try it both ways and see if you see any performance hit. The whole idea of a separate page file disk is to free of the drive from trying to do both tasks and the eSATA might be fast enough.

I am unfamiliar with the user_reports. I keep most of my programs on a separate drive from my boot drive which mostly has Win 7 and a few utilities on it. My programs are on a RAID 1 drive for redundancy, but that is most likely not the fastest way to configure. Most experts would tell you to use your fastest drive to boot and 500 GB should be enough for WIN 7 and your most disk intensive programs. You can then put less disk intensive programs on another drive. This is especially good advice if you use an SDD drive.

Hope that helps

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sat 10-Jul-10 08:55 AM
#14. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 13
Sat 10-Jul-10 08:57 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Bob,

I followed some advice from all y'all, and found my inner pilot error map was upside down.

As mentioned, after a year of using NX in crash mode, which is the only reason I bought LR to begin with, this makes a whole lot more sense.

I did use the High Pass and Noise sharpening tools to render a beta shot of a building in NYC with a lot of appeal in it's tower for detail using the CNX Noise and Sharpening controls anew (after reading both of my books)and your admonitions about they being commensurate to anything in LR3, I may agree.

As for the $%*^$%^$^* crashes, I made a few changes, put the swap back on C and took it out of the eSATA external, left the all steps activated and reduced the Cache from unlimited to about half of the maximum preset.

Soooooo, after an hour of tweaking and saving, so far, no freeze-up and I've been deep into edit faders which has been the bane since 2.2.1 (sliders to folks who are not from the recording world).

Knocking on wood, and thankful for the advice from everyone here and a few other threads.

Thanks,

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 11-Jul-10 06:01 AM
#15. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 14

San Jose, US

Rob glad it is working for you. I think you will find that many who complain about NX2 performance ot other things have never bothered to read the manual ar are thrown because it doesn't look like photoshop. If you don't have it invest in Dr J's book on CNX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Mon 12-Jul-10 12:43 AM
330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

"...found my inner pilot error map was upside down...As for the $%*^$%^$^* crashes, I made a few changes, put the swap back on C and took it out of the eSATA external, left the all steps activated and reduced the Cache from unlimited to about half of the maximum preset."

Rob - agree with the change you've made as outlined by Bob B...i went from a very primitive system to a very advanced system where i could maximally deploy the changes you describe...the crash difference was like night and day - but the $%*^$%^$^* thing still does crash and still has some very annoying memory issues which make highly detailed work (which, unfortunately is my sine qua non) impossible...

good luck and fly right....

mark

www.broadwallphotography.com

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Mon 12-Jul-10 02:08 AM
#17. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 16

West of Santa Monica, US

Mark (and) Bob,

The system seems to run a lot better now but there have been some freezes still, so I'm thinking of getting a registry clean up program, feeling that may be causing the occasional issue now. Do you have any suggestions?

I run a defrag/optimize once or twice every week, and like so many others await the NIK fairy dust to be delivered to Nikon for the CNX (version) that addresses 64 bit architecture buggy's.

Thanks,

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 12-Jul-10 06:41 AM
#18. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 17

San Jose, US

Rob I use Norton and Norton Utilities. They keep my system running fine. Also try lowering your cache some more.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Mon 12-Jul-10 06:33 PM
#19. "RE: W7 Pro upgrade and NX2 seems stable, also What is Optional Picture Control Software?"
In response to Reply # 18

West of Santa Monica, US

Bob,

Much appreciated!!!

Rob

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2741 Previous topic | Next topic