nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #2532
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 - Camera?" Previous topic | Next topic
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Sun 13-Jun-10 12:48 PM
8372 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 - Camera?"
Sun 13-Jun-10 12:50 PM by ScottChapin

When I view this photo and a couple more like it, the thumbnail looks great in View NX. In NX2 and Lightroom it looks like below. What gives? I had an end of file error in LR in one other photo. The files are 14 bit compressed NEFs.

Photos before and after about 3 bad are OK.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 - Camera? bobr
13th Jun 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 - Camera? ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
13th Jun 2010
13th Jun 2010
          Reply message RE: NX2 - Camera? ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
13th Jun 2010
13th Jun 2010
13th Jun 2010
14th Jun 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 - Camera? PAStime Silver Member
14th Jun 2010
14th Jun 2010
     Reply message RE: NX2 - Camera? nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
14th Jun 2010
14th Jun 2010
          Reply message RE: NX2 - Camera? nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
14th Jun 2010
14th Jun 2010
14th Jun 2010
14th Jun 2010
14th Jun 2010
14th Jun 2010
14th Jun 2010
15th Jun 2010

bobr   pitman, US  Registered since 09th Jun 2004 Sun 13-Jun-10 02:36 PM
343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Scott,

I had something similar sometime back and it turned out out to be the CF card failing. Try another card and if you can't duplicate the the problem, it's a pretty good bet it's the card.

Bob

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Sun 13-Jun-10 04:10 PM
8372 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 1

I guess I was hoping it was that as opposed to something else. The card was new in October though. It's a Lexar 8GB-300x and have never had a problem with them. First time for everything.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

bobr   pitman, US  Registered since 09th Jun 2004 Sun 13-Jun-10 05:56 PM
343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 2

My card was a Sandisk 4GB Ultra 11, and about half of the images were like that. I was however, able to recover most of the images using their RescuePro software. I just bought that particular Lexar card because I wanted more space for shooting my grand children's sports - hope I don't have the same problem.

Bob

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Sun 13-Jun-10 07:18 PM
#4. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

I have (2) 4GB and an 8GB just like it. Today I took a few shots at chrurch and ran into the unexpected end of file in LR, but not NX2. All the images were useable, except I couldn't edit the ones with errors in LR.

I guess I'll call Lexar tomorrow.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Sun 13-Jun-10 07:59 PM
#5. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

Although check disc did not show any errors, another card ran through 40 photos without a hitch. The other card was failing with less than 30 shots. Guess I need to call Lexar.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

bobr   pitman, US  Registered since 09th Jun 2004 Sun 13-Jun-10 09:38 PM
#6. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi Scott,

As long as you have your receipt, you'll be in good shape. Sandisk honored their warranty with me and I had a new card in about a week. I've always stuck to those two manufacturers because they seem to be the most reliable and I'm always careful about handling the cards-but I suppose like anything manufactured by man, there's always a margin for error. Thankfully that's all it was.

Bob

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Mon 14-Jun-10 02:21 AM
#7. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks Bob,

I have my original invoice, the advantage of keeping things for tax purposes! Lexar says they guarantee the professional series for life to the original owner.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

PAStime Silver Member  Kingston, CA  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 14-Jun-10 02:48 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Scott. Are these by chance corrupted photo files that you are very interested in recovering? I just say that because perhaps the NEF is damaged but the embedded preview JPG is not and it might be possible to extract the JPG from the file. Peter

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Mon 14-Jun-10 10:20 AM
#9. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 14-Jun-10 01:50 PM by ScottChapin

Thank you Peter,

I would like to know how to recover the JPEG for future reasons. Fortunately, I had several other shots of the accordion player. They're rare and in demand you know. While having diner, the proprietor was feeling me out, when he found that I play the Zieharmonica!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Mon 14-Jun-10 12:54 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

I use PhotoMechanic to extract the embedded JPGs but that would be an expensive one time solution for you ($150). Great browser, though

There is at least one freeware app that does this but I forget the name.

I would be happy to extract the JPGs if you could make the files available.

If you can see full size images (not just tiny thumbnails) in ViewNX then the JPGs are intact. This assumes you've turned off the option to always render NEFs for display.

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Mon 14-Jun-10 01:56 PM
#12. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 10

Thanks for the offer Neil, but I trashed the files. I did have a lot of better shots that I was fortunate enough to have taken. I'll have to check the View NX settings, but it did open them up into full screen (I assume JPEG) images. NX2, of course, opened them in all their ugly glory without an unexpected end of file error.

Lexar has asked me to do a full FAT32 format prior to an in camera format. I'm hoping that I did not do something stupid like hot swapping the express card reader at the end of the transfer. I doubt it, since images after the bad ones downloaded fine, and the dialogue box showed all the files to have transferred.

I'm getting paranoid and might eject the reader just to be safe.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support   US  Registered since 25th Jul 2004 Mon 14-Jun-10 02:12 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 12

Their advice to do the full format is an attempt to get any bad sectors marked and removed from use. That should have nothing to do with "user error" that might have trashed the FAT. A quick format, as the camera does, would take care of that.

I always reformat the card in camera before use. Always. I never delete files on the cards via the computer.

Years ago I had problems with corrupted files when I went to 1GB cards from the now very old sub-gigabyte cards and never had a problem since. I believe my problem was related to deleting files on the card and then relying on XP's supposed quick removal/immediate write ability, which I no longer trust. I also had some peculiar issue preventing me from easily doing a safe removal, so I was just yanking the card after deleting the images.

Since doing in camera formats I have not had a bad image since (over 200K images later). Of course, a quick format would fix any problems related to writing to the card while connected to the PC but since I quick format there is no reason to do any updating or deleting.

Readers are cheap enough (for basic readers) that replacing the reader might be a good idea too. Or maybe just the cable if the reader has a removable standard USB cable attachment as mine does.

my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Mon 14-Jun-10 05:22 PM
#16. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 14

I have always formatted in camera too. That's sort of why I was surprised with this card going bad. My express card is a Delkin and is the newer model which, unfortunately, does not have an activity light like my old one. The old one finally had a pin pull loose.

Then too, I ran check disk and no errors were reported. That doesn't make sense to me, but maybe check disk was not rigorous enough.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

PAStime Silver Member  Kingston, CA  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 14-Jun-10 12:55 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

>I would like to know how to recover the JPEG for future
>reasons.

Hi. I didn't have any specific steps in mind to recover the jpeg other than to try and open the NEF using a variety of tools and utilities I have at my disposal including "Instand JPEG from Raw", a useful and free utility available on the net. Some image tools specifically work with the embedded JPEG and would perhaps be tolerant of a corrupted NEF image within the NEF file. Cheers, Peter

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Mon 14-Jun-10 01:58 PM
#13. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 11

I'll definitely be looking for "Instand JPEG from RAW"! I should have tried photo rescue too, but I was lucky to have enough good shots (actually better shots).

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

PAStime Silver Member  Kingston, CA  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 14-Jun-10 05:10 PM
#15. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 13

>I'll definitely be looking for "Instand JPEG from
>RAW"! I should have tried photo rescue too, but I was
>lucky to have enough good shots (actually better shots).

It is actually "Instant JPEG from Raw" (I had it wrong in my post) and available here:

http://www.rawworkflow.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw-utility/

Can you please try it on one of your corrupted NEFs? I'm just curious if the embedded JPEG is still intact and extractable.

Cheers,
Peter

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Mon 14-Jun-10 05:24 PM
#17. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 15

I was a brain dead copy cat. Yes, I know it was "Instant". I think I have some other files on the card which are trash, so I will try that tonight, hopefully.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Mon 14-Jun-10 11:10 PM
#18. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Jun-10 11:16 PM by ScottChapin

The plot thickens, but here is an example of "Instant JPEG from RAW" on a failed file:

It's only 1.444KB though.

Now for the strange part. I inserted the card with the express card reader and browsed it as NEFs in NX2....all perfectly. All the files were intact. Maybe I have an import issue.

Yesterday, I was using View NX as a browser and using cut and paste so I could see the thumbnails. OI*&Y&T^R&%R Nikon for not giving us a 64 bit codec...LOL.

Yesterday I "think" they appeared as JPEGs in View NX. That is why I thought I saw a good thumbnail and yet a bad NEF file. Today they browsed as NEFs in View NX. I have not made any changes in View NX.

In any event, I'm thinking it's an issue with View NX, or at least the way I used it.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

PAStime Silver Member  Kingston, CA  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Tue 15-Jun-10 01:18 AM
#19. "RE: NX2 - Camera?"
In response to Reply # 18

>In any event, I'm thinking it's an issue with View NX, or at
>least the way I used it.

Hmmm... strange indeed. Hopefully the problem won't appear again. Thanks for the update, Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #2532 Previous topic | Next topic