Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #25
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory" Previous topic | Next topic
sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Tue 19-Jan-10 12:54 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
Tue 19-Jan-10 01:06 AM by sevtcard

Brattleboro, US

since we have no specific nx2 forum(viz:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=196&topic_id=61235&mesg_id=61235&page=)
 i thought that i'd address this generally...i updated to nx2
2.2.4 as soon as it was released. recently i began developing
what i believe, in my general ignorance, to be a memory leak. 
files won't save for lack of memory...and if i open the task
manager and watch the performance, i watch nx2 quickly gobble
up memory up until about 1.4 gigs at which point it seems
sated and no longer willing to do any work.  i contacted Nikon
and sent them a copy of a system snapshot which suggested that
my version had not updated completely (but that i had adequate
resources [Pentium duo 2.2Ghz 4 GB ram).  so, i ultimately did
a complete uninstall and then clean reinstall with the same
error message (though the program does have some different
operational features now) - that is 'out of memory' for a file
with more than 4 or 5 steps in it.  needless to say this is
very frustrating and i was just wondering if anybody else has
had this experience.  i notice that similar experiences seem
to have occurred with earlier versions, as well
thanks
Mark

R Mark Burke
www.broadwallphotography.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory
robsb Platinum Member
19th Jan 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
20th Jan 2010
swyost Silver Member
20th Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
21st Jan 2010
swyost Silver Member
21st Jan 2010
JazzDoc Gold Member
19th Jan 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
20th Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
20th Jan 2010
F1 Fan
21st Jan 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
24th Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
24th Jan 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
29th Jan 2010
1APhoto Silver Member
28th Jan 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
28th Jan 2010
mathjak107
30th Jan 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 19-Jan-10 04:01 AM
12825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I too believe there is a memory leak, but I have had way more steps than 5 before I could not save. It seems to be a random thing for me, as it does not happen every time I use the program. I am running Win 7 64 bit with 4 GB RAM. I now close the program from time to time and that seems to help clear the problem, but I hope Nikon addresses this in the next update.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Tue 19-Jan-10 11:08 AM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 19-Jan-10 11:08 AM by TiggerGTO

Apex, US

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?

I have been experiencing this problem for a long time. Originally it occurred when I was running NX2 on my desktop running 64-bit Vista Ultimate. When I reported the problem to Nikon, they said that 64-bit Windows was not supported. Now that I am running it on 64-bit Windows 7, I am still experiencing this problem, and like Bob I try to remember to close NX2 after working on 5 or more images. My leak does not seem to be related to the number of steps, but rather the number of files I edit sequentially not simultaneously.

I find this problem very frustrating and combined with a NX2 specific video problem I am having on my laptop, I am very discouraged by the poor service from Nikontech support. My video problem has been opened for a month, and as far as I can tell, it has not made it past the initial representative. I have provided lots of extra information and have stated that I will work with a programmer or customer rep to provide any additional debug information they would need. But as far as I can tell, it is not being looked at.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Tue 19-Jan-10 01:53 PM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 2

Brattleboro, US

Bob and Danny -

thanks for the feedback. i am using 32 bit win 7, though have been contemplating an upgrade to 64 bit, but have been daunted by the amount of work it will entail in terms of reinstalling all of my software. for nx2, i have also used the rather crude work-around of closing the program periodically and clearing the cache, which does seem to help a little.

the memory problem came to the fore for me with one particular picture, which, in this case, does have about 8 steps. i need to resize it for printing, but cannot, no matter how hard i try, as it won't save after that step is put in.

Danny, i had missed your post on the video issue. i recently sent some photos to WHCC for printing. this service is excellent and has always produced nearly perfect reproduction of what i see on my monitor - to the point that i don't bother softproofing. however, i sent my first batch of photos in after upgrading to nx2 2.2.4 and the difference was striking (and expensive) - almost to the point that the photos looked black. i went around with WHCC about it, but wondered in the back of my mind if this was really an NX issue. i will need to look at the issues you raise in that post more closely when i get back to my monitor (which i keep calibrated with Spyder3 Pro).

all in all, a very frustrating experience with little help (and perhaps only hindrance) from Nikontech. makes me think very hard about switching to another product.

Mark

R Mark Burke

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 20-Jan-10 02:32 AM
12825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Mark you only have to reinstall if you are moving from XP to Win 7 64 bit. Moving from Win 7 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit is an automatic event, but you will want to reinstall any program that has a 64 bit version like CS4 to take full advantage of Win 7 64 bit. The only programs that I could not get to run were Visual Studio 6 and Visual Studio. net (old versions), but they are running in XP Mode which is the new Win 7 virtual PC mode. Also, no DOS or Win 95 programs will run, but they didn't run on XP either. I am very happy with Win 7 64 bit except for the fact that I had to buy a new scanner and monitor calibrator, but they were long overdue.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

swyost Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Wed 20-Jan-10 02:43 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 9

US

No it is not automatic. To go from the 32 bit version of Windows 7 to the 64 bit version (or vice versa) requires a custom/clean install, with subsequent reinstallation of all apps....

Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 21-Jan-10 03:56 AM
#11. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

I was not aware of that because I thought it was the same as moving from Vista and I did a fresh install because I moved from XPPro 32 bit to Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

swyost Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Thu 21-Jan-10 08:56 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Pretty straightforward - 32 bit to 32 bit or 64 bit to 64 bit allow upgrade, while 32 bit to 64 bit (or vice versa) require a custom/clean install. The official statement is here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions.

Stephen

JazzDoc Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Tue 19-Jan-10 07:42 PM
399 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

I'm in the same boat with this odd problem. I use a Dell T5400, Win7-64bit, with 8GB RAM and 2 discs (2nd for cache....)--no shortage of space, processing power, etc., and yet still have these same memory errors that kill saving ongoing work.
I did notice recently a potential common element to several of these glitches. In each, at least one step entailed a pen-designated selection within an edit step or two (e.g. selective sharpening or noise reduction and the like). After removing those steps and replacing them with generic versions of the same I had no problem saving. A second thought is that the current NX2 version might handle such selections (and perhaps other aspects of edit steps) differently than earlier versions. Perhaps it is reopening older files for new ideas regarding processing and then saving them constitutes the fatal flaw. Thoughts from others on this?
Gary

Gary Paige

my gallery

www.frontpaige-photography.com

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Tue 19-Jan-10 11:48 PM
#5. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 4

Brattleboro, US

i have noted this as well, it does seem to depend upon the complexity of the task asked of the program....having been a programmer in a very distant, former life, i can imagine that trying to do fine detailing with the plus or minus selection brush would require much more processing power and memory...nevertheless, Nikon's approach to this seems to be 'let them eat cake' (i have read that marie antoinette probably did not really say this of the poor, but it has a nice rhythm to it, nevertheless, and it seems apropos...)

mark

R Mark Burke

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Tue 19-Jan-10 11:52 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 19-Jan-10 11:53 PM by TiggerGTO

Apex, US

That doesn't match with my experiences. I can hit the problem after working on 5-10 brand new images in a row. I usually start by applying a settings file that removes the in camera sharpening and applies the D700 capture sharpening recommended by Jason in his eBook. Next I'll use the quick fix to pull in the white and black levels a bit and maybe tweak the curve. Crop and straighten if necessary. Sometimes apply one to several local adjustments via control points, and sometimes experiment with a Color Efex Pro (CEP) filter or two. When I'm doing a batch of files, I usually skip CEP. Usually I can only do 5-10 pictures like this before NX2 complains about being out of memory.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Wed 20-Jan-10 12:04 AM
#7. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 20-Jan-10 12:05 AM by sevtcard

Brattleboro, US

i have looked at this specifically (that is how many files
must i manipulate before a problem occurs)... i have found
that it can be very picture specific.  if i've closed things
down completely and later restarted the computer, then load
this one d*mn picture and attempt to resize it, i'm repeatedly
booted out...it's beyond frustrating...i've got to get these
photos printed for a show and i'm worried about sending more
in for processing, only to have a very expensive package of
schlock deliverd by UPS....(i guess i have PTNXS: [post
traumatic NX syndrome])

R Mark Burke

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 20-Jan-10 02:24 AM
#8. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

Danny my experience is similar to yours. We seem to use a similar work flow and I use Nik Colorefex Pro etensively. I usually only work on a single image at a time, but do many in a row. That is why I have gone to closing the program after doing a number of images and then reopening it. I had the same problem with XP 32 bit, so I do not think it is a Windows problem as much as a NX2 problem.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

F1 Fan Registered since 12th Jan 2007Thu 21-Jan-10 12:03 PM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 8

St. Louis, US

I have only seen a similar problem with 2.1.x something. Not sure which one it was anymore but it was about 1.5 years ago.

Anyway, clearing the cache seemed to fix it for a while then it would act up again. I then set the cache size to 15-20g. That just slowed things down a lot. I eventually removed and reloaded NX to the earlier version.

With version 2.2.2, I have not had any problems. I am on a Mac by the way.

Not sure this will help, but thought I would offer it up.

Good luck. I sure do wish they would get these issues addressed.

Mark,
www.MarkHornePhotography.com

Life is short. Live it as an Exclamation, not an Explanation.

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Sun 24-Jan-10 02:04 PM
#14. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 0

Brattleboro, US

as an update, i have been reviewing the issue with nikon, but haven't gotten very far except that i'm getting the impression from them that there are some problems with 2.2.4 and how it installs.

since they haven't been particularly helpful to date, i worked out my own simplistic test and solution. i uninstalled 2.2.4 and reinstalled 2.2.0 through to 2.2.3 and the memory issue resolved. i then reinstalled 2.2.4 and the issue returned. uninstalled that went back through 2.2.0 to 2.2.3 and things are running just fine again - so i'm sticking with 2.2.3 until i hear further from Nikon.

Mark
PS it's nice to have an NX forum

R Mark Burke

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 24-Jan-10 11:50 PM
#15. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 14

San Jose, US

Mark thanks for the heads up.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Fri 29-Jan-10 08:12 PM
#18. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 14

Brattleboro, US

update - this has been bumped up to nikon japan...so there is a problem, though they still are not telling me what they are thinking, despite, or perhaps because of, my continued prodding.
Mark

R Mark Burke

1APhoto Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2006Thu 28-Jan-10 07:45 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 0

IE

Hi Mark

I have experienced this behaviour for a couple of years. What I do now is before starting a new job I go into the preferences and clear the browsing cache and the editing cache.
Since doing this I seem to have less problems in this area.

I hope this may turn out to be useful.

Henry

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Thu 28-Jan-10 12:00 PM
#17. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu 28-Jan-10 01:38 PM by sevtcard

Brattleboro, US

Thanks Henry -

i have also found that clearing the cache helps a little, though i've never been completely convinced that this wasn't just a placebo effect.

the 'out of memory' problem went up by an order of magnitude when i switched from 2.2.3 to 2.2.4. though i said in my previous post that the memory issue resolved, i should have written more accurately that it improved to tolerable levels. there is almost certainly an installation error as part of the problem. whether that is specific to my machine or not, i'm not clear - since nikontech has not answered my questions for a while, i have a strong suspicion that there is a larger issue going on. Danny, in his posts, has noticed a video problem as well, which nikon has been reluctant to deal with. one can only infer from their silence that they've got bigger problems they are not acknowledging.

thanks for the input.

Mark

R Mark Burke

mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006Sat 30-Jan-10 08:55 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: NX2 2.2.4 engine error - out of memory"
In response to Reply # 17

bayside queens, US

happened to me today for the first time... was editing a tiff i created from moving objects around in elements and then brought into nx2 for editing... the 67 meg tiff and its edit steps were to much i guess for nx2

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #25 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.