Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #248
View in linear mode

Subject: "Reset in Capture NX2 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
LucN Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2008Thu 07-Jan-10 01:07 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Reset in Capture NX2 ?"

Landen, BE

Hello,

After switching from film to digital photography, for some time I used Capture NX2 for post-processing but later switched to Adobe Lightroom 2 (which I like better, even though I don't seem to share that preference with most Nikonians according to a poll posted on this site somewhere).

Anyway, I was wondering if Capture NX2 (which I have uninstalled now) has a "reset" button with which all edits and changes can be undone. LR has, but I cannot remember NX2 having one. Now that I have some more experience with image-editing software, there are a few images that I would like to redo from scratch. If NX2 has a reset button that takes me back to the original NEF file, I'll reinstall NX2 just to do that. If it doesn't, is there any other way to get back to the original (other than making additional, backward changes)?

Thanks.

Luc

Luc

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?
Tongariro
07th Jan 2010
LucN Gold Member
07th Jan 2010
russg Silver Member
08th Jan 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
08th Jan 2010
LucN Gold Member
07th Jan 2010
LucN Gold Member
07th Jan 2010
Freewheeler10
08th Jan 2010
Freewheeler10
08th Jan 2010
LucN Gold Member
10th Jan 2010

Tongariro Registered since 14th Jul 2007Thu 07-Jan-10 01:29 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

Hi

it is easy to get back to your original file, so long as you have saved the file as a NEF. If you have converted it to any other format, this is not possible. To get back to the original file, click the box at the top of the edit list, which probably shows 'last saved', if you altered the file and saved it, and select original from the drop down menu.

Alternatively you can uncheck the boxes in the edit list for individual edit steps and/or revisit them by double clicking and alter them.

Hope this helps.

Bridget

LucN Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2008Thu 07-Jan-10 02:30 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Landen, BE

Hi Bridget,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll reinstall NX2 and follow your instructions.

Regards.

Luc

Luc

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Fri 08-Jan-10 12:08 AM
1287 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

>I'll reinstall NX2 and follow your instructions.
>

That may not be necessary. If I followed your question correctly, I beleive you'd like to re-edit photos that were originally edited in NX2, but you would like to start over from scratch with those photos in Lightroom. If that is the case, and you saved the original edits to a NEF file from NX2, that same NEF file can be opened in Lightroom and the NX2 edits will not be recognized. In other words, your're essentially dealing with the original raw file. The reason for this is the way NX2 saves edits to a NEF file. The RAW data is untouched, only a set of instructions (edit steps) on how to manipulate the RAW data is saved . These instructions contained in the NEF file saved by NX2 are not recognized in other editing software, such as Lightroom. Lightroom will open the NEF file just as if it was "reset". If you saved the edits to something other than a NEF file, all bets are off.

Russ

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 08-Jan-10 12:37 AM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 5

Apex, US

Yes, Russ is right. If you started directly with the NEF file in Lightroom, then you were essentially starting from scratch because Lightroom does not see the edit steps that NX2 saves in the NEF. So, there is no need to reinstall NX2 just to revert to the original images.

Now on the other hand, if you saved your NEF files as TIF files after editing them in NX2 and then started with the TIF files in Lightroom, then you did in fact start with an image that included your NX2 changes. However, you could simply discard the TIF files and start from the beginning directly with the NEF files.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

LucN Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2008Thu 07-Jan-10 02:31 PM
#3. "RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Landen, BE

Hi Bridget,

Regards.

Luc

Luc

LucN Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2008Thu 07-Jan-10 02:31 PM
#4. "RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Landen, BE

Hi Bridget,

Regards.

Luc

Luc

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Fri 08-Jan-10 12:50 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Englewood, US

>Hi
>
>it is easy to get back to your original file, so long as you
>have saved the file as a NEF. If you have converted it to any
>other format, this is not possible.

But, the NEF files are still there, regardless of what you save as. It
is not possible to over-write the NEF with a tiff or jpeg, NX2
changes the file extension so there will be two files, xxx123.NEF
and xxx123.TIF for instance.

Photographers' Tea: Earl 18% Grey

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Fri 08-Jan-10 12:21 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

>Anyway, I was wondering if Capture NX2 (which I have
>uninstalled now) has a "reset" button with which all
>edits and changes can be undone. LR has, but I cannot remember
>NX2 having one.

Upper right hand corner, under the birds-eye view, above the develop
section, is the version pulldown. Select "Original Version." I also like
to do a couple of "New Version" saves, after cropping or major filter
applications. But you can _always_ go back to the original.

Photographers' Tea: Earl 18% Grey

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

LucN Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2008Sun 10-Jan-10 03:37 PM
#9. "RE: Reset in Capture NX2 ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Landen, BE

Hi, thank you all for your valuable and valued feedback.

Regards.

Luc

Luc

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #248 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.