Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2440
View in linear mode

Subject: "Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?" Previous topic | Next topic
Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Thu 03-Jun-10 06:07 PM
3286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
Thu 03-Jun-10 06:07 PM by Lunastar

Mankato, US

I've recently purchased NX2 and wonder what steps you folks take to make your downloaded 150K images look so darn nice on the Nikonians site?

Also, when re-sizing it seems to me that setting the long side to 900 doesn't always get the image down to 150K-it does on a few but not all.

Obviously, I'd like to retain as much viewer quality as I can after the re-size.

Thanks!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?
glxman Silver Member
04th Jun 2010
Lunastar Silver Member
04th Jun 2010
glxman Silver Member
04th Jun 2010
Lunastar Silver Member
04th Jun 2010
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
04th Jun 2010
Lunastar Silver Member
04th Jun 2010
Lunastar Silver Member
04th Jun 2010
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
04th Jun 2010
Robman3
05th Jun 2010
05th Jun 2010
04th Jun 2010
Lunastar Silver Member
04th Jun 2010
glxman Silver Member
05th Jun 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
05th Jun 2010
glxman Silver Member
05th Jun 2010
05th Jun 2010
PAStime Silver Member
05th Jun 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
06th Jun 2010
PAStime Silver Member
06th Jun 2010
Robp Gold Member
06th Jun 2010
07th Jun 2010
Robp Gold Member
07th Jun 2010
07th Jun 2010
Robp Gold Member
07th Jun 2010
07th Jun 2010
07th Jun 2010
Robp Gold Member
09th Jun 2010
10th Jun 2010
10th Jun 2010
PsychoBud Silver Member
10th Jun 2010
10th Jun 2010
Robp Gold Member
10th Jun 2010
                                        Reply message Further clarification of the inconsistent borwser behav...
10th Jun 2010
                                        Reply message RE: Further clarification of the inconsistent borwser b...
11th Jun 2010
Freewheeler10
11th Jun 2010
elec164 Silver Member
12th Jun 2010
Freewheeler10
10th Jun 2010
Robman3
09th Jun 2010
Robp Gold Member
09th Jun 2010
glxman Silver Member
05th Jun 2010

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 04-Jun-10 02:47 AM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Hi Mark,

I use NX2, only editing program I have actually!

After editing image do your desired result,

Open image in NX2
Select edit
Select size/resolution
Change longest side to 900
Close image

Select batch
Locate image in source, (browse)
Click advanced
Adjust quality
Click start and check result

This is a somewhat laborious way but works, other editing programs work faster but when that is all you have, it does a great job

You will have to gradually change the quality setting until you get close to 150 kb

Regards,
Gary

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 04-Jun-10 03:09 AM
3286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 1

Mankato, US

Thanks! That's basically how I'm doing it, too. Just seems that images that are tack sharp don't look as quality as others when re-sized. Perhaps I need to sharpen? And, if so how much?

Mark

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 04-Jun-10 05:23 AM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 04-Jun-10 05:26 AM by glxman

South Australia, AU

Hi Mark,

How much to sharpen? I just edit the image at the start and select the desired sharpening there, (looking closely at 100%)

The only time I have seen the quality degrade is when a friend of mine batched first then sized the longest side to 900 afterwards,

The only further advice would be to use the slider, (that is what I use), starting around 65%, this will depend on what detail is in the image, the quick selections do not appear to get a good result for me, just gradually move the percentage up or down until you get close to 150 KB
This method is slow and you end up with a lot of images to delete but it is the only way I know how with NX2

How sharp does this image look on your screen?
Not being pretentious here, just seeing if your screen is producing a sharp image, (trying to eliminate the variables)

Taken with the D700 and Ai 180mm
Nothing special, but re sized with NX2
If this looks sharp enough on your screen, you should be ok

I should add that I do all my editing with a raw image before I batch, not sure if this would be a factor although I am sure a few photogs here are shooting jpeg anyway

Regards,
Gary

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 04-Jun-10 01:20 PM
#4. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 3

Mankato, US

Those pads look nice and sharp to me. Thanks, I'll play with the sharpening and post a sample image.

Mark

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 04-Jun-10 05:11 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I do most of my resizing with Photomechanic, which has an Auto Sharpen option that seems to work well for me. This is just to say that sharpening after downsizing is so prevalent that they automated it, they being clever folks in the ways of simplifying workflow, and this is a biggie. Downsizing tends to lose edges, apparently in a very predictable way.

In NX2 I do the resize, as Gary suggested, and then add a very mild sharpening after the resize step, usually about 9/5/0 or so for starters, depending on the sharpness of the original image, but sharpen to taste. I've never made a science out of it, though.

You may be able to save the re-size and basic sharpening as a batch adjustment. You would probably need two, one for landscape and one for portrait mode. I just tried this and it seems to respect the value in the axis that you changed, and adjusts the other axis to whatever aspect ration you used. I think I'll keep that adjustment step for future use

my Nikonians gallery.

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 04-Jun-10 05:19 PM
#6. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 04-Jun-10 05:21 PM by Lunastar

Mankato, US

Thanks, Neil. I'll have to try sharpening after the re-size. Here's an image that's 25% sharpened w/no crop and 750 on the long side saved at 80% quality:

Mark

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 04-Jun-10 05:28 PM
#7. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 04-Jun-10 05:30 PM by Lunastar

Mankato, US

Mmmm, this image was sharpened at 10% AFTER re-size and to me, looks much nicer! Both images are from the same series and both equally tack sharp at full size-unprocessed. Thanks for the help!

Mark

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 04-Jun-10 05:43 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Yes, much better

my Nikonians gallery.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sat 05-Jun-10 08:53 AM
1826 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 05-Jun-10 09:08 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Neil,

I too am on the learning curve with regard to webness'.

This is a test drive shot from a very old 8 bit JPEG.

I just wanted to see if the setting works.

It took a while and I ended up downsizing in Windows viewer to keep perspective. I admit to owning the patent on Pilot Error.

Let's see what it looks like then?? (posted and removed)

Never mind, I removed it, between NX2 sizes and what the files amount as saved, it's two different metrics.

The image showed up too large and over 100% so it's grainy.
Once more before I sign off. (nope too large)

I'll try again later on, it's late here on the left coast.

To be continued...

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 05-Jun-10 10:52 AM
#14. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

- -

my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 04-Jun-10 05:29 PM
#8. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

You applied 25% sharpening BEFORE the resize?

my Nikonians gallery.

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 04-Jun-10 10:40 PM
#10. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 8

Mankato, US

Yep-I was playing with the unsharp and went ahead and re-sized. The image looked darn nice at full size, though.

Your tip may sound simple but, although I'm not a greenhorn photog I am when it comes to PP'g!

Mark

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 05-Jun-10 01:54 AM
#11. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Looks good Mark!

Unlike Neil, I do not sharpen after resizing, as I mentioned earlier, I'm no expert but get by with NX2

Might have a look at Neil's idea of sharpening after resizing, I did have trouble with one image that had a lot of detail, it was an Autumn image and did not like the resizing process, that's the advantage of being a Nikonian, always learning new tricks that others here are always willing to share,

Regards,
Gary

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 05-Jun-10 04:38 AM
13150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 11

San Jose, US

When you resize you should always do a resharpen. I use PS to make my jepegs to post on Nikonians and it does an auto sharpening when it resizes too. It does not ahve to be much since you sharpened in processing anyway.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 05-Jun-10 11:11 AM
#15. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Hi Bob,
This "re-sharpen" after resizing is something new to me, generally, I have been very happy with the result from the initial editing,

Is this "later" sharpening something similar to the process of extra sharpening prior to printing?

Regards,
Gary

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 05-Jun-10 11:36 AM
#16. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Gary,

I was surprised that you don't sharpen after downsizing, especially since your image above looks good. As far as I know, that sharpening step is universally recommended, as as mentioned here, often done automatically by the better work flow managers.

my Nikonians gallery.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 05-Jun-10 07:04 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>I've recently purchased NX2 and wonder what steps you folks
>take to make your downloaded 150K images look so darn nice on
>the Nikonians site?

Note that they don't have to be 150KB if you first place them in your gallery (800 pixels wide) and then put a link to the gallery in your forum posting. For example, this is a 541KB file I uploaded this morning for the autofocus lens forum.

What you see here is the original 541KB file, the same file I uploaded into my gallery. You can verify this by downloading it onto your computer.

Cheers,
Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 06-Jun-10 01:32 AM
13150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#19. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 17

San Jose, US

Peter:

The gallery is not restricted to 800 wide, as I remember it is something like 1800 x 1800 wide. I post all my images to the gallery but I do set them as long side 1000, with high quality, only not to make them too good. But you could post a really large file to your gallery within the 1800 x 1800 limits. Then you have two choices for automatically posting images to forums. One you could copy the link just below your image and past that into the forum, and it will post an image that meets forum size limits. Or if you really want traffic in your gallery, you can create a linked image in the forum so that if people click on it it will take them to the larger image in your gallery. The procedure can be found pined at the top of "A Picture I Took" where I inserted directions on how to do this. This way you really don't have to fool with resizing images for a forum as Nikonians has done it for you.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 06-Jun-10 03:19 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 19

Kingston, CA

>Or if you really want traffic in
>your gallery, you can create a linked image in the forum so
>that if people click on it it will take them to the larger
>image in your gallery.

A clickable image in a post is a good idea. I will have to try that one day. Peter

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sun 06-Jun-10 09:11 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 19
Mon 07-Jun-10 04:55 AM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Bob,

I wanted to try your suggestion so I backtracked to the "A Picture I Took" forum and found your reply * 5 under RickD's first post. I think the sentence stating "add the following right after "Nikonians" "-images"" should be changed to read "add the word "images" right before the word "Nikonians" in the second link you added".

Understand that I'm fully capable of misreading anything and probably did but here's an image produced by following your instructions modified as I construed the need.

Click image for a larger view in my gallery.

I'll appreciate constructive criticism. I blurred the background and used multi-stage sharpening on the dragonfly. I think its pretty sharp but it pales compared to the appeal of Peter's striking stork? image.

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 07-Jun-10 02:00 AM
#22. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 21
Mon 07-Jun-10 02:04 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

Rob I am sorry it is not clear. I had some problems with the text as sometimes it changed thus the quotes. In general what you are doing is this. there is a string that appears in both the large and small links and you have to change both. you add the "-images" after Nikonians, but as you see you already had an images term before Nikonians and that must be changes to "www". So the second string now reads "http//www.Nikonians-images". You also need to be sure to replace the first http entry with the "brackets link:" term for it all to work.

If it is not clearer now, just let me know. How I do it, is once I have copied and pasted the 2 links with the "|" separator, I start at the back and work forward adding the "-images" behind Nikonians, changing the "images" in front of Nikonians to "www", and then repeating for the first link and finally doing the link step.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Mon 07-Jun-10 05:08 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 22
Mon 07-Jun-10 02:45 PM by Robp

Gainesville, US

Bob, as you can see above, it's working fine for me now.  I
know what you mean about the quotes; I could not show an
example of the line of text in my post as I typed it because
our forum software interpreted parts of the line as a URL
regardless of quoting.  BUT WAIT…

I just noticed the checkbox at the top of the Message Panel
that says "Check here if you want to format your message
in plain test.  Use for posting code snippets".

Here's the URL SNIPPET per Bob's instructions:

[link://www.images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/251774/size/big/cat/|http://www.images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/15391/medium/DSC4653-copy.jpg]

I remember some of this nonsense from my early days of hand
coding HTML to make a text-only web page look decent on a
PDP-11 terminal but I've forgotten most of that.  Glad you
read the HTML Reference on the side of the Message Panel and
did the hard work for us - thanks.

Edit:  Bob pointed out, and I agree, that although the snippet
above works (I don't know why), the correct code format should
be:

[link://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/251774/size/big/cat/|http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/data/15391/medium/DSC4653-copy.jpg]

Rob[p]Visit
[link:images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=283729|my
Nikonians gallery].[/p]

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 07-Jun-10 06:41 AM
#24. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 23

San Jose, US

No the URL snippet is still wrong. In your snippet the first link before the "|" separater should say "...www.nikonians-images.org..." The second link after the "|" should say "...www.nikonians-images.org..."

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Mon 07-Jun-10 02:42 PM
#25. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 24

Gainesville, US

Interestingly, it actually works both ways. It was easy to verify, I just edited the message without changing the snippet, unchecked the Message Format box, and previewed the message. Then I changed the snippet to your configuration and previewed the message, with an identical result.

Your format looks more traditional to me and it more nearly agrees with your description in the "A Picture I Took" forum so I have edited my previous post to show your correct code format.

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 07-Jun-10 09:20 PM
#26. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 25
Wed 09-Jun-10 03:38 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

When I click on your image in reply 21 I get an error, but I guess you didn't fix that. I am surprised that it works both ways, but I think it was Bo who originally told me how to do this. It is true that if all you want to do is to link to the small image in the gallery, using the link below the image in the gallery will do that and you don't need all of this. The method I use puts the small image in the forum and gives you the click link to the larger image in the gallery. The benefit is you do not have to play with size before you post if you post to gallery first. But it looks like you found another way with less work.EDIT 6/9-Rob it is possible that the link address to the gallery has changed since I started using this script and they just keep both to make it work? Surely the addresses we pull from the gallery to create the dual link is exactly like what you did. As I remember when I first started using this last year, that did not work and Bo told me about the switching of the "image" terms which did work. In any case since not moving the image terms does not seem to matter, it is much easier to just do the link the way you did. I still can't get the link to work in your image in answer 21.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 07-Jun-10 09:25 PM
#27. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 26

US

Interesting... works for me (just checked it).

my Nikonians gallery.

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 09-Jun-10 11:30 PM
#29. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 26

Gainesville, US

Bob, I think we have a mystery here. I've clicked on the image in Reply 21 several times including just now (6:15 PM, 6-9-2010) and it goes right to the large image in my gallery. Neil (Reply 27) indicates that it works for him also.

Please try it again and let me know, and describe it, if you get an error. I think you've shown us a nice tool and I'd like to correct my description if need-be to get rid of any mis-information.

Of course, there could be another explanation; jealous code-writers for Nikonians could be blocking access to cool features by Platinum members!

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 10-Jun-10 06:14 AM
#31. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 29
Thu 10-Jun-10 06:16 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

OK I clicked on the image in reply 21 again and I still get an invalid address error.

"The address is not valid

Most likely causes:
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page. "

Strange that others don't get this but I do.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 10-Jun-10 11:20 AM
#32. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 31

US

Just to confirm that I can still click the image above and open the gallery page.

Here is a suggestion: right click the image in reply 21 and select "copy link location", then paste the link into a reply here, checking the "format in plain text" option. That would verify that your browser is trying to use the same URL my browser is using. You could also copy the address directly from the browser *if* your browser doesn't modify that address when it gets a page not found error (my browser often does that).

my Nikonians gallery.

PsychoBud Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Oct 2008Thu 10-Jun-10 01:35 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 32
Thu 10-Jun-10 01:38 PM by PsychoBud

Virum, DK

Hi,

I get the same error message as Bob, and can see that the link
contains 4 slashes after http:

http:////www.images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/251774/size/big/cat/

After removing 2 of the slashes the link works.
I use Microsoft Explorer, but maybe other browsers handle this
differently.

regards,

Allan

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 10-Jun-10 01:49 PM
#34. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 33

US

Now we are getting somewhere

I get the same error, with 4 slashes after http:, using Internet Explorer 8 on Win XP SP3.

It works correctly using Firefox 3.6.3

I'll report this to the admins, with a link to the thread.

my Nikonians gallery.

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Thu 10-Jun-10 02:41 PM
#35. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 33

Gainesville, US

Allan and Neil,

Thanks for digging into this. I use Safari so it was hiding the problem. I tried to edit reply 21 to correct my typing error but am informed that the edit period has expired. I hope the admins will set it straight or reopen/extend the edit period so that I can correct it. I'm flying out to Los Angeles this afternoon so probably won't get to revise anything until next week.

Rob

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 10-Jun-10 07:00 PM
#37. "Further clarification of the inconsistent borwser behavior.."
In response to Reply # 35
Thu 10-Jun-10 07:13 PM by nrothschild

US

For the benefit of all of us, and the admins that might look into this...

Here is Rob's current link in reply #21, which contains a link starting with "link://www.images...". This clicks into the gallery image with Firefox, but not IE.

Here is what I think it ought to be , eliminating the "//" between Link: and www, such that it looks like this: "link:www.images...". This works for me using Firefox and IE8 on Win XP SP3.

Apparently some browsers, such as Firefox, can deal with the 4 slashes that the forum software apparently parses together when reading Rob's current reply #21 format, but IE cannot. My understanding is that, in general, link URLs should start with "www", omitting "http" and the slashes. The link after the "|" separator, which is the image embeddedinline here, is an exception to that rule and should contain "http://" (http and the slashes). I hope this makes sense.

my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 11-Jun-10 09:11 AM
#38. "RE: Further clarification of the inconsistent borwser behavior.."
In response to Reply # 37

San Jose, US

Well it seems that my method is more bullet proof because it does use the "www". I have never had anyone complain that they could not click on my images and get to my callery, no matter what browser they used. I am using IE8 which explains why when Rob misunderstood my directions and changed the link code it worked for him, but not for me. Yet my code snippet worked for both of us.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Fri 11-Jun-10 02:06 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Further clarification of the inconsistent borwser behavior.."
In response to Reply # 37

Englewood, US

both links work fine with Safari and Opera

Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.- Ansel Adams

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 12-Jun-10 01:42 AM
2130 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Further clarification of the inconsistent borwser behavior.."
In response to Reply # 39

US

As an addition to this issue for the purpose of trouble shooting it:

Clicking on the image in post 21 while I'm using Mozilla Firefox (my preferred browser) brings you to the Galleries page and the larger image no problem.

When I try using Internet Explorer it does not. Actually when click on the topic in the main forum page and the thread page comes up, it is reported in Internet Explorer on the bottom bar as being with errors.

Pete

Pete

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Thu 10-Jun-10 04:03 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 29

Englewood, US

>Bob, I think we have a mystery here. I've clicked on the
>image in Reply 21 several times including just now (6:15 PM,
>6-9-2010) and it goes right to the large image in my gallery.
>Neil (Reply 27) indicates that it works for him also.

Working fine here as well. Seamless.

Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.- Ansel Adams

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 09-Jun-10 02:15 AM
1826 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 21

West of Santa Monica, US

Rob,

You are too modest, but that's a good thing.

The stork, has it all going on, back light, plumage akimbo, storkly motion and that is a brilliant capture but...drum-roll please...That Dragon Fly is a keeper.

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 09-Jun-10 11:32 PM
#30. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 28

Gainesville, US

Thank you!

Rob

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 05-Jun-10 11:30 PM
#18. "RE: Questions on NX2 resizing for Internet?"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Tks Neil/Peter,

In reality, I'm new to digital and processing, before I joined Nikonians, I was shooting an FE and trying to find out whether my old Ai lenses would work on a D700,

Steep learning curve for me, a 15 year or so break from photography did not help either,

If it was not for all the help here I would still be struggling,

Regards,
Gary

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2440 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.