nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #233
View in linear mode

Subject: "Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64" Previous topic | Next topic
Exi Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2003Thu 17-Dec-09 02:44 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"

Stuttgart, DE

Hello all Nikonians,

yesterday, 2009-12-16, Nikon Europe published Capture NX 2.2.4 for download. This version was build to address Windows 7 x64 compatibility.

Installing older version (up to 2.2.3) may result in problems with Nikons Message Center. To solve this problem, all previous versions of Nikon Transfer, Nikon View NX and Nikon Capture NX2 have to be uninstalled from your x64 Windows system. Be sure to uninstall all separate software parts from Nikon to like File Uploader, Nikon Message Center etc. too.

Then install Capture NX2 v2.2.4 first. The downloaded file can be installed on a fresh system, even if you only have an Upgrade Serial number. I my case, I was not asked for the older serial number like in previous updates.

From my experience, I recommend to install Nikon Transfer 1.5.1 after Capture NX2 v2.2.4. If you want to have Nikon View NX 1.5.0 also on your Windows 7 x64 system, this should be installed after Nikon transfer.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays

Greetings from Germany

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Exler
Nikonian in Stuttgart, Germany

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
17th Dec 2009
Tony_Jeffree
21st Dec 2009
boycotts6 Silver Member
21st Dec 2009
Tony_Jeffree
21st Dec 2009
greyface Gold Member
23rd Dec 2009
critidoc Silver Member
24th Dec 2009
TiggerGTO Silver Member
24th Dec 2009
Exi Gold Member
07th Jan 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
08th Jan 2010
Reply message RE: How to use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x 64
jlrsn
28th Dec 2009
Reply message RE: How to use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x 64
ACon
29th Dec 2009
canepazzo
09th Jan 2010
anabasis Silver Member
10th Jan 2010
ACon
11th Jan 2010
bigeasytx
13th Jul 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 17-Dec-09 08:32 PM
13279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Wolfgang I installed CNX2 2.2.4 right over 2.2.3 without problem. I had alsoalready installed Transfer 1.5.1 beforehand. I see no problems withthe install in win 7 64 bit.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004Mon 21-Dec-09 12:53 PM
2016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, UK

I can't see v2.2.4 on the UK site - can you post a link please?

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

boycotts6 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2009Mon 21-Dec-09 03:01 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 2

UK

Try this:-
http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45512/c/649/r_id/127673
Regards David

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Tony_Jeffree Registered since 13th Oct 2004Mon 21-Dec-09 03:55 PM
2016 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 3

Manchester, UK

Great - thanks!

Regards,
Tony

My Nikonians Gallery

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008Wed 23-Dec-09 09:45 PM
1588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 0

Acushnet, US

I am wondering why the update is not available on the Nikon USA site.
When I use the Check for Updates link in NX2, it tells me no update is available.

-------------------
"On no account allow a Vogon to read poetry at you." - The Hitchhikers Guide

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007Thu 24-Dec-09 11:04 AM
218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 5

Kingsville, US

but it still works as a 32 bit application.
They need to really update it to work as a 64 nit application.

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 24-Dec-09 04:21 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

Is anybody who is running NX2 on a system upgraded to Windows 7 running into any color management problems like I describe in this thread?

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Exi Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2003Thu 07-Jan-10 12:44 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 7

Stuttgart, DE

Hi Danny,

I'm not sure, but I believe your settings are not correct.
I'm wondering about you explanation that viewing pictures with FastStone looks correct. I'm not a regular user of FastStone. When I checked FastSton Image View, I found that the do NOT use embedded profiles and therefor CAN NOT use colormanagement. So I assume that your reference display with FastStone is not correct.

Please download the attached file and view it with your application.
This JPG has an embeded ICC profile. If the colors displayed match the text (rot=red, gelb=yellow, grün=green, cyan=cyan, blau=blue, purpur=magenta) then your applicaion is capable of using embedded colormanagement profiles. If the match failed, you don't have reliable colors displayed.

Hopefully this helps to check your settings

--
Wolfgang Exler
http://www.exler.de

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 08-Jan-10 02:17 AM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 10

Apex, US

You are right... I misspoke about FastStone Image Viewer. I tried downloading your image and viewing it with FastStone and the colors did not match the labels.

However, I did figure out what the problem is. My laptop has something called "switchable graphics". It is a Lenovo W500, and it has a high performance ATI graphics subsystem and the Intel chipset on the motherboard. The high performance graphics provide nearly the same performance as a desktop. The Intel graphics consume far less power. I specifically bought the model I did for the switchable graphics.

In the other thread I started (see my first post to this thread for a link), guystooges asked about the switchable graphics which prompted me to verify which mode I was using. I noticed that in low power mode, NX2 renders the colors correctly, and in high performance mode it does not. This appears to be isolated to NX2 because all other color managed applications I tried work correctly in both modes. I'm waiting for a response from Nikon support. I'm not holding my breath, but at least I have a work around.

Thanks for the helpful jpg though. I think I'll save a copy of that one. Looking at the profile information with PhotoME, this must be some sort of custom profile that drastically rotates the colors to make the incorrect colors extremely obvious. Ingenious.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

jlrsn Registered since 16th Jan 2008Mon 28-Dec-09 07:36 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How to use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x 64"
In response to Reply # 0

Up at 8,000' in the Rockies, US

After going through all the original problems of CNX2 from when I upgraded to CNX2 I finally had a good working copy using WXP Pro SP3.

On my newest Laptop running W7 64 bit I initially had CNX2 2.2.3 working with minor crashes but then it started to hang on the Splash Screen during start-up. I just downloaded and installed CNX2 2.2.4 and have the same problem of Splash Screen hang.

From past experiences most of the problems were simple technical problems that really turned me off regarding the programing skills of Nikon Imaging but I worked around it. I can't get into CNX 2.2.4 to check and change settings. I rebooted with no other program loaded and the same problem. I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4 GB of Memory, a WD 500 GB HDD, and presently W7 64 Bit Home Premium. As in the past all other programs including CS3 run without problems. Any suggestions?
Jim

ACon Registered since 25th Dec 2009Tue 29-Dec-09 02:02 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How to use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x 64"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I am having similar issues as Jim and others. In most aspects, the software works well with Win 7 64-bit. Before Win 7, I was using Capture NX2 (upgrade from NX) on my Win XP SP3 desktop (Intel Quad Core processor and 4 GB RAM) with NO issues. I could load up to 20 images (jpg and NEF), edit and save with no crashes. Nikon Updates worked very fast.

Last week I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on the same system (Quad Core and 4GB RAM). Computer runs great in every aspect with every other program. I have 3 small issues with Capture NX2 (ver 2.2.4). For now, I will just live with these issues, knowing the limitations.

1) cannot use Nikon Updates on NX2 or Nikon Transfer (1.5). It (Nikon Message Center??) will not connect to the Nikon Server.

2) Sometimes I cannot open more than 5 NEFs at once. The program locks up. I can, however, open multiple jpgs.

3) At least once when 8-12 jpgs were opened, the system locked up.

Nikon Tech Support has not been able to help (4 different phone calls). One of them told me their server was down and would be up the next day, but that was 6 days ago. I tried Wolfgang's instructions at the begining of this thread (removed all Nikon software and reinstall with NX2 ver 2.2.4 first). Yet, I still have the same problem. I did search my registry and try to delete all Nikon entries prior to re-installing with 2.2.4.

And yes, my 4GB or RAM are recognized by the OS and I have about 70-80% available for use prior to launching Capture NX2.

Thanks,
Alex

canepazzo Registered since 21st Feb 2009Sat 09-Jan-10 05:16 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

System Intel 2.8ghz quad core, 4GB mem, Win 7 Pro x64 bit.

I recently upgraded Xfer, View, NX2 to the latest releases from the USA download site without any problems. I didn't install them in any particular order. Checking updates from message center returns none availabe which is probably correct given I have the latest available. I have not had any crashes or other obvious problems, but I don't perform any sophisticated workflow. I believe all of these programs run in x32 bit mode as that is the program folder which contains them. I did notice a blue hue when using View. It wasn't apparent in NX2, but since calibrating my monitor I can't reproduce that look.

“What one sees is highly dependent on where one stands.”

Cheers,
Canepazzo

anabasis Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2003Sun 10-Jan-10 05:38 AM
1824 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 0

Edwardsville, US

I can't get Capture NX2 V 2.2.4 to upgrade my Win XP Pro machine. It starts the process and hangs for an hour and never completes the installation. This is a first for me. I might have to forgo this upgrade until I get a new computer in the Summer.

JCA

Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37977699@N00/

Visit

ACon Registered since 25th Dec 2009Mon 11-Jan-10 04:15 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Nikon Tech Support told me there are now aware of this issue and are working on a fix. What I noticed is that after the ver 2.2.4 upgrade, everything works fined except the Nikon Message Center and its ability to check for updates. The Nikon Message Center folder has a file called NkMC.exe and there are multiple versions of this file. I had a backup folder with all my old Windows settings and files that was saved to another hard drive, prior to doing the Windows 7 64-bit upgrade. In that backup folder, within the Nikon Message Center folder, was a version of NkMC.exe that was larger than the NX2 version 2.2.4 NkMC updated file. I copied the older file into the folder with the newer file and everything worked well afterwards.

I still check manually each week for another NX2 update for Windows 7.

bigeasytx Registered since 03rd Apr 2009Tue 13-Jul-10 04:14 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Howto use Capture NX2 with Windows 7 x64"
In response to Reply # 14

SG

I came across this thread when I was searching for why the new Nikon Message Center 2.0 was refusing to connect to the server and give me updates with Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit. I tried everything from the programs trouble shooting Help page.. turning off my firewall, adding an exception to my network security, reinstalling Nikon Message Center 2.0, etc... nothing worked. I kept getting the program error “could not connect to server”...

By chance I ran the program “as Administrator” and it worked fine! And funny enough if seems to be working fine now, without having to run it as Administrator. I'm no network guru... but thought this might help anyone else who finds this thread while searching for info on the same issue.

Gene
www.GeneInman.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #233 Previous topic | Next topic