Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2239
View in linear mode

Subject: "CLONE TOOL" Previous topic | Next topic
tinglis Registered since 18th Jan 2009Sat 08-May-10 02:07 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CLONE TOOL"

US

is there a clone tool in nikon capture nx?
thanks for any help tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CLONE TOOL
PAStime Silver Member
08th May 2010
robsb Platinum Member
09th May 2010
tinglis
10th May 2010
Ciderfish Silver Member
10th May 2010
robsb Platinum Member
10th May 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
10th May 2010
Ciderfish Silver Member
11th May 2010
hrbaan
13th May 2010
sevtcard Silver Member
13th May 2010
BR Silver Member
13th May 2010

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 08-May-10 11:56 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>is there a clone tool in nikon capture nx?
> thanks for any help tom

No, sorry, there isn't. I use NX2 for most of my post processing and fire up Corel Paint Shop Pro when needed to clone, paint, watermark, frame, etc. Cheers, Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 09-May-10 01:56 AM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

While NX2 does not have a Clone Tool, it does have a context aware Auto Retouch Brush. Here is the Nikon definition of the tool:

"The auto retouch brush enables you to automatically repair unwanted details found within the image. Use this tool to remove dust spots, blemishes, or distracting objects, with a unique blending algorithm that matches the surrounding structure, color, and tonality."

Because it is context aware, it does a very good job of removing small objects and replaceing it with the background color and texture. I have successfully removed large objects with it. I think it does a better job than the Adobe healing brush, except maybe for the CS5 version since it is now contect aware like the NX2 tool.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

tinglis Registered since 18th Jan 2009Mon 10-May-10 12:23 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 2

US

thanks for your replies,got it figured out. thanks tom

Ciderfish Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Mon 10-May-10 05:44 PM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

'I have successfully removed large objects with it'

Hi Bob,

I routinely use the auto retouch tool on small stuff like dust specks, but struggle to to make it work for anything big.

Any tips or examples of approach would be much appreciated.

Kevin
A Nikonian in the West Country

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 10-May-10 06:39 PM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

What I do is set the brush to about 1/3 of the size range. You may have to adjust the size as you go. I then start my stroke from the outside of the area and brush into the area I want to replace. Lots of small strokes work better than fewer big ones. Sometimes it doesn't work, but most of the time it does.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Mon 10-May-10 10:05 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 10-May-10 10:06 PM by sevtcard

Brattleboro, US

i have tried the same technique with more failures than successes (i probably need more practice/patience) - one thing i have noticed is that doing the touch up early in the process is better than later (when i later realize that i really didn't want that truck in the background of my pristine field, for example), as things like sharpening and adding some filters sometimes make it quite obvious that something unnatural has been done to the photo...
Mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

Ciderfish Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Tue 11-May-10 07:56 AM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Thanks Bob and Mark for your guidance.

I'll experiment some more and see what I can achieve.

Kevin
A Nikonian in the West Country

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 13-May-10 12:39 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 6

Kockengen, NL

Strangely I found out the opposite: if you perform your retouching after capture sharpening, not only does it a MUCH better job, it is much less noticeable (i.e., not at all) too! This is especially true when you try to remove specks or other spots in more complex areas.

Experiment and you'll find what works best for you.

BTW: my approach to removing big stuff is to start out with a huge brush and if that doesn't work, move in with smaller brush sizes. If this still doesn't give me agreeable results after a short time, I'll move over to Photoshop and fix it there (only in very rare cases).

Cheers,

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
Web: http://www.hayobaan.nl

sevtcard Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Thu 13-May-10 01:10 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 8

Brattleboro, US

this may have more to do with how i develop my photos - i don't make the usual type of image - mine often look a bit more like paintings...i add many of my own filters, often go through 2 or 3 separate sharpening steps using usm and hi pass, occasionally really bump up contrast and so on - some of the filters seem to make obvious any subsequent touch up that i might do...
Mark
www.broadwallphotography.com

BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Thu 13-May-10 09:38 PM
538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: CLONE TOOL"
In response to Reply # 0

Glen Mills, US

There is no clone tool but they can't be too far from being able to implement it - sometimes when I use the auto retouch tool it brings in objects from elsewhere in the image, so it is doing some kind of cloning operation already.

Cloning is one of the few reasons left for me to use Photoshop or Gimp for routine processing of photos.

Barry

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2239 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.