nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #2193
View in linear mode

Subject: "ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF" Previous topic | Next topic
smogpart Gold Member  CONCORD, AU  Nikonian since 20th Dec 2007 Mon 03-May-10 04:32 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF"

I am new to NX2 and struggling with printing.
Equipment:
>Canon i9950 printer
>Canon Photo Pro 2 paper
>Nikon D90

When I have my RAW file looking the way I like, select(as per Jason O'Dells Guide recommendation), I select the Canon i9950 printer and paper profiles, turn on the soft proofing feature in NX2 and get a washed soft proof that lacks punch and has a faint gray cast vel over the entire photo - especially evident in the blacks.

I then struggle to delete this veil and basically screw everything never again matching the original post procressed image.

Can any one assist? - al thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated

Josef Smogurzewski
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF sevtcard Silver Member
05th May 2010
Reply message RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF rbaskin Silver Member
05th May 2010
     Reply message RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF smogpart Gold Member
19th May 2010
          Reply message RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF Robp Gold Member
20th May 2010
               Reply message RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF smogpart Gold Member
21st May 2010

sevtcard Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009 Wed 05-May-10 03:49 AM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF"
In response to Reply # 0

this is a problem...i've mostly learned to ignore the 'veil.' the idea is to give a general concept of the icc profile and to how the image will look as a final product (never as good as on the monitor)...it's only an approximation of what you might expect on the printed medium...i send all of my printing out and find that the soft proofing is marginally/not helpful. i've got a good concept as to how things will look through my local (approximately 1,000 miles away ) printer when i view my images in CNX2. consequently, I don't generally go to soft-proofing. i'm sure there are others who would (perhaps violently) disagree...
Yours in good imaging
Mark
I'ts all in the eye, after all.......

rbaskin Silver Member  Ridgefield, US  Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007 Wed 05-May-10 09:08 PM
362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF"
In response to Reply # 1

I find softproofing to be most helpful when printing to matte, particularly fine art, papers. I don't use it for gloss and semi/soft gloss - doesn't help me near as much as with matte.

Ralph in Ct

smogpart Gold Member  CONCORD, AU  Nikonian since 20th Dec 2007 Wed 19-May-10 10:39 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the responses - greatly appreciated.
Josef Smogurzewski
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

Robp Gold Member  Gainesville, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009 Thu 20-May-10 01:48 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF"
In response to Reply # 3

Josef,

As others noted, softproofing is an approximation of the results to be expected from your printer/ink/paper selection and the "veil" is an attempt to indicate the dulling effect of using a light-absorbing medium (paper) versus your light-emitting display monitor.

Paper selection does greatly affect this dulling effect and this is where I find softproofing to be valuable, e.g., comparison will show you that Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper dulls your image much less than Epson Photo Quality Inkjet Paper.

In general, softproofing reminds me to use Adjust and increase the Brightness and Contrast a little to compensate for the Paper-effect. Of course, you may adjust anything but, as you said, it gets complicated so I tend to keep final adjustment simple. This is where use of View>Compare Images>Compare With Original is useful.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

smogpart Gold Member  CONCORD, AU  Nikonian since 20th Dec 2007 Fri 21-May-10 08:51 AM
#5. "RE: ISSUES WITH NX2 AND SOFT PROOF"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks Rob,

Your response makes a lot of sense - I will go back to the contrast/ brightness and adjust as you note.

Josef Smogurzewski
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #2193 Previous topic | Next topic