Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2147
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 and Photoshop" Previous topic | Next topic
wapiti Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2002Wed 28-Apr-10 07:24 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Capture NX2 and Photoshop"

austin, US

Do any of you find the need to use both NX2 and Photoshop? I'm upgrading to CS5, but was wondering if NX2 would offer any additional benefits.

Bill in Austin, TX
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/useralbums.php

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop
robsb Platinum Member
28th Apr 2010
bob1217 Silver Member
29th Apr 2010
b2martin_a
29th Apr 2010
bob1217 Silver Member
29th Apr 2010
robsb Platinum Member
30th Apr 2010
cogrady Silver Member
27th May 2010
robsb Platinum Member
27th May 2010
Robp Gold Member
29th Apr 2010
bobr Silver Member
29th Apr 2010
martinc
30th Apr 2010
wapiti Silver Member
01st May 2010
MstrBones Silver Member
01st May 2010
b2martin_a
02nd May 2010
hrbaan
02nd May 2010
Skytalker Silver Member
17th May 2010
bobtail Silver Member
24th May 2010
Scott A
26th May 2010
robsb Platinum Member
26th May 2010
Scott A
26th May 2010
robsb Platinum Member
27th May 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 28-Apr-10 11:32 PM
12972 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Bill you don't say how you use your SW, so it is hard to give advice. This is my story:

I started with PS CS, and then moved to CS2, CS3, CS4 Extended in the Production Premium Suite and just ordered Suite 5. Around the time I had CS3, I purchased Capture NX and was using it just to process my RAW files, and then finished them in CS3. When NX2 came out, it was so much better, that I found I could do just about everything in NX2 and get better, quicker results than I could in CS3 and CS4. I consider myself an advanced user of Photoshop and am comfortable with the majority of the tools, and I understand how to use esoteric tools and LAB in my work flow, but NX2 colors right out of the box matched what I saw on my camera viewer screen, and it was so easy to create complex masks and do other things that while I could do them in Photoshop, they took a whole lot more effort. So now NX2 is my main processor. I use CS4 if I want to do composites, pano's, stacking and HDR work. I also add copyrights and things like frames, etc. i.e. the things I can't do in NX2. If you don't do these type of things, there is no reason to own Photoshop. I personally believe it is good to own both, but in general I don't think you NEED Photoshop for general photo processing.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

bob1217 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2009Thu 29-Apr-10 12:06 AM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

Monroe, US

I use both CS4 and NX2, often on the same image. For the most part, I use CS4 as my primary processing tool, but it took me a long time to build up my comfort level to get to that point. I've taken several courses in CS4 and feel very comfortable using even the more advanced features. But still, there are times when I just feel the need to bring it into NX2 for a quick fix, and there are certain selections that NX2 is just more efficient at handling. NX2's color and selection control points can be really great. I may be wrong, but in tricky detailed areas where I need to use the spot healing brush to clean up, I think the NX brush does a more seamless job sometimes than CS4's brush.

Fairly often I run across an NEF file whose colors are just horribly off when they are opened in CS4's Camera Raw (even when selecting the Camera profile). So in situations like that, I open the NEF in NX2, convert it to a 16-bit TIFF, and open the TIFF in Camera Raw for initial tweaking before bringing it into CS4.

You'll still want to use CS4/5 for images where you want to do layering, blending, perspective cropping, content-aware scaling (and now fill!), numeric color evaluation, high-pass filtering, etc.

So bottom line, the two programs are very complementary. I can't imagine being without NX2, even after I get CS5.

Please visit my Nikonians gallery

b2martin_a Registered since 10th Jan 2007Thu 29-Apr-10 12:38 PM
475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I have Photoshop CS4 and Nikon Capture NX2, but do all my NEF processing using CS4 RAW converter. I have consider several times switching to NX2 for NEF processing, but I find it just too slow compared to Photoshop CS4 RAW converter. I thought this was due to my old computer, but I now have a new computer with AMD Quad Core Processor running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and still have the speed issue. When I make a change in NX2 (like white balance) it takes 5 to 10 seconds to see the results, but in Photoshop it's instant. I see sililar speed problem with other operations.

I have not found a good work flow for NX2 when processing large numbers of images. In Photoshop ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) I select a folder of images (50 to 200), open all in ACR and work on them one at a time and then click the "Done" button when complete. In NX2 you need to work on one at a time, you can paste to other images, but you have to save a new NEF files to keep the adjustments - long save times. Maybe I just don't understand how to use the software.

I recommend you download and try the software out before you make a decision and purchase.

bob1217 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2009Thu 29-Apr-10 08:12 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 3

Monroe, US

I agree with the slowness of NX2, although it's not as bad as the original version. After upgrading to a Dell 630i with quad processor, 2.83 GHz, and 3 GB of RAM, I've had no problems with NX2's speed or memory management.

Back when I did have trouble, I found that I could solve the problem by increasing the priority level of the NX2 process setting. On Windows, open Task Manager, open the Processes tab, right click on the CaptureNX2.exe process, click Set Priority, and select High. This worked well, although as I recall the priority level had to be reset every time NX2 was opened. It may be worth a try if anyone out there is having similar speed/memory management issues with NX2.

Please visit my Nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 30-Apr-10 02:55 AM
12972 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

If it is taking you 5 to 10 seconds to see a WB change, there is something wrong with your NX2 installation. I too am using Win 7 Pro 64 bit with 4 GB RAM and an old Intel Core 2 Duo. WB changes are almost instantaneous. Check to see if you have the usual Visual C++ redistributals installed. You need the 64 bit versions. Also make sure you have installed Microsoft NET. Without these NX2 will be slow.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Thu 27-May-10 04:32 PM
571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 7

Salt Lake City, US

Bob, can you walk us neophytes through the process of checking to see if we have Visual C++ redistributals and Microsoft NET?

I use NX2 as my main editor, and move over to CS4 for edits that I can't do in NX2. Occasionally when I've made a change in a tif file in CS4, save, and then attempt to open/edit the file again in NX2, I get a message telling me there isn't enough memory. I have 4 GB RAM, Win 7 64 bit. This really should be adequate to handle the file. I'm not sure what's going on but I'd like to try your suggestions, if you can explain a bit further.

Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 27-May-10 05:28 PM
#20. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 19
Thu 27-May-10 05:34 PM by robsb

San Jose, US

Claudia:

Go to Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features.

You should see the following files in the enclosed jpeg listed:

If any are missing Go to the Microsoft Website and search for updates and download and install them. BTW NET Framework 3.5 is installed by Win 7, but it does not show up on the list, but it is there. While in the Programs and Features Panel, click on "Turn Windows Features On and Off" and make sure the box next to Windows .NET Framework 3.5.1 is checked in the window that opens up.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Thu 29-Apr-10 03:39 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 2

Gainesville, US

I also have both NX2 and CS4 and, as a general practice, have done almost all processing in NX2 unless pushed into CS4 by the need for something NX2 couldn't do. NX2 always displayed colors better and was easier to use, in part due to Jason Odell's Guide.

That may be changing (some, NX2 is still easier to use) for me now because Adobe's Eric Chan has developed some new Nikon D3 and D700 camera profiles for ACR (Adobe Camera Raw, CS4's raw image preprocessor). I think that they are VERY close to the NX2 representations of Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Vivid, etc. They seem to nail the White Balance correctly and have a very subtle difference in sharpness which I like. I find that I can often open the ACR image in CS4 with little or no change.

They are called the beta v2 profiles and are available for download at:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/602274

I'd like to hear the opinions of these profiles from others who are bouncing between NX2 and CS4.

Rob

bobr Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jun 2004Thu 29-Apr-10 03:06 PM
343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

pitman, US

Hi Bill,

I think this is very much an individual thing depending on what you feel comfortable with. I started out with PS and got NX as a freebie when I purchased my D300. It has become my primary editing tool. I still
use PS for certain things, like copyright, framing, and especially for resizing which is simpler than in NX2, (pretty much what Bob has already
said).But,I find that it suits my work flow better, and is faster for me to use than PS, and fewer steps to achieve the desired result. PS also has a lot of features that I will simply never use.
All that aside, NX2 has some annoying glitches, like the memory leak, and the infamous and as yet unexplained "Capture NX2 has stopped
working" error. The glitches don't occur all the time, but it's pain when they do occur. Best advice is to opt for the free trial period and see if it fits.

Bob

martinc Registered since 15th Dec 2005Fri 30-Apr-10 07:11 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

Stockport, GB

I currently have Capture NX2, Photoshop CS2 and Photoshop Elements 8. I always shoot NEFs, use NX2 for initial post processing and, only where necessary, export Tiffs to CS2 or to PE8. NX2’s rendition of NEFs and its control points have made it indispensible for me, easily outweighing NX2's somewhat irritating features.

However, like you, I have CS5 on order. I plan to experiment seriously with Adobe Camera Raw. It is even possible that I will end up doing most of my post-processing in CS5 and only sometimes exporting Tiffs to NX2 (say, to use my Nik Color Efex Pro 3 for NX2).

I have two suggestions for you, Bill. First, think very carefully before actually buying Capture NX2 since NX3 should surely be released in the next couple of months. Second, if funds permit, you might consider (as a possible alternative to Capture NX3) trying Nik’s Viveza (which enables you to use control points in Photoshop).

Martin

Photography Books

wapiti Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2002Sat 01-May-10 01:52 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 8

austin, US

Thanks guys, for taking the time to respond. I think that I will sit on CS5 for a while. I have been using Viveza with CS3 for some time now.

Bill in Austin, TX
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/useralbums.php

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sat 01-May-10 07:04 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 01-May-10 07:04 PM by MstrBones

AW

>Do any of you find the need to use both NX2 and Photoshop?

I do. I typically perform all my primary image work in NX 2, then create a TIFF that I open in Photoshop for any special work or for resizing and printing operations. I am way back on CS2 as this still suits my workflow just fine.

""

b2martin_a Registered since 10th Jan 2007Sun 02-May-10 12:42 PM
475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 10

US

David, if you ever plan on updating Photoshop you might consider doing it now since CS2 is the oldest version you can have and upgrade to CS5.

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 02-May-10 12:40 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

Kockengen, NL

>Do any of you find the need to use both NX2 and Photoshop?
>I'm upgrading to CS5, but was wondering if NX2 would offer any
>additional benefits.

I use both NX2 and CS4. Both are used for what they excel in:
NX2 for the majority of edits (which covers >95% of the cases)
CS4 for when I need to perform edits I can not perform in NX2 (e.g., combining multiple images, etc.)

I know how to use ACR pretty well (and use it when I have to edit images not taken with my Nikon cameras), but hugely prefer the way NX2 works. YMMV in this case of course

Cheers,

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
Web: http://www.hayobaan.nl

Skytalker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2008Mon 17-May-10 09:43 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 11

Bereldange, LU

I use both CNX2 and CS4.
CNX2 always to process the raw file and convert it to jpeg/TIF.
CS4 when I am supposed to do advanced editing.

Jan (a Nikonian in Luxembourg)
---------------------------------------

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. Albert Einstein.

Visit:
My Portfolio|| My Nikonians Gallery|| My Fickr Gallery|| My Blog|| My Facebook||

bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Mon 24-May-10 05:37 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 13

Axminster, GB

It is worth pointing out that Photoshop is not the only option to work with NX2
My workflow is Transfer, ViewNX,NX2, then only when needed, into Corel Paintshop Pro X2.
PSPX2 is a remarkably capable programme, very customisable and with an extensive tool set that should cover all we need. It seems to fit between the full photoshop and Elements, making a good partner with NX2. It is also a real bargain ! I actually prefer the X2 version to the new X3 one. I use it mainly for layers (occasionally),borders, and cloning. Also for converting to greyscale as part of a B/W workflow with QTR black only printing.
I wish NX2 would create and read greyscale images
Chris
UK

Scott A Registered since 26th May 2010Wed 26-May-10 08:00 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I use both CS4 and Capture.  I Always prefer capture for the
quality of the image and color rendering to match what I shot.
 Capture renders the settings you programmed in the camera. 
My biggest complaint with Capture is that you can't make
changes to multiple images simultaneously as you can in PS. 
The ability to highlight dozens of images and apply the same
white balance is something that is irreplaceable to me.  The
sliders on PS also work much better and generate results
instantly where there's a delay in capture.  Once Nikon
figures out how to manipulate several images at once, PS will
not be needed for me.  It's worth noting that you can do it in
ViewNX, but not CaptureNX.  

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 26-May-10 09:42 PM
#16. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 15

San Jose, US

You do know that you can batch multiple changes to a set of images right? It is quite easy, but it is not as fast as Photoshop, but it is working directly with the NEF. You can for example fix one image and then save the changes as a set and apply that set to a group of images in a folder.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Scott A Registered since 26th May 2010Wed 26-May-10 10:41 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Yes, I know that, but that's very different than just highlighting them and then applying it and seeing immediately as you change it. Especially when I shoot indoor/outdoor different lighting. I like to be able to set wb in groups and then being able to tweak individually if need be. To save a set of changes and then batch process a group, then save another set of changes, batch another group is far less efficient than say ACR or lightroom. As I said, i find it interesting that you can do white balance and d-lighting on several images in ViewNX though and see the results immediately. Thanks for the reply.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 27-May-10 05:46 AM
#18. "RE: Capture NX2 and Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 17

San Jose, US

OK I see what you are looking for, and i agree that if they can do it in View NX it should be a part of Capture NX, maybe in NX3?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2147 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.