nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2102
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX (1) Dust Removal Doesn't Work? " Previous topic | Next topic
Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Thu 22-Apr-10 01:29 AM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX (1) Dust Removal Doesn't Work? "

Rocky Mount, US

I have dust on my D300 and the local camera shop could not get it off. I have sent it into Nikon for cleaning (the camera shop said Nikon would be able to get it clean). In the meantime, I have tried to use the Dust Ref Photo and Image Dust Off in Capture NX.

I took a Ref photo (creates a NDF file). and then opened NX (Ver 1). Camera shop had taken JPEG photos to make viewing easier but I had some files that were Raw (NEF). When I open NX, it doesn't find the dust off ref photo as it should. I direct it to the appropriate directory but the NEF and the NDF files are grayed out. I read somewhere that they have to be in the same directory so I wound up transferring both files (NDF and NEF) to the applications folder the NX is in. (so all three are in the same subdirectory). Still the same result. I can direct it to the directory but the files themselves are grayed out and it won't find the NDF file???

I have contacted Nikon Tech Support and they have had me submit a system something. Had to do it twice. Now have submitted the NDF and NEF files. They haven't figured it out yet.

I am using an 2003 Apple Powerbook with NX 1. NX seems to work fine otherwise.

Any clues what could be the problem?

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX (1) Dust Removal Doesn't Work?
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Apr 2010
Sportymonk
22nd Apr 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Apr 2010
Sportymonk
23rd Apr 2010
23rd Apr 2010
Sportymonk
23rd Apr 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 22-Apr-10 08:13 AM
13501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: NX (1) Dust Removal Doesn't Work? "
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Dust Off NDF files only work with RAW files not JPEG. Make sure you have enabled Dust off in NX. I also suggest you upgrade to NX 2.2.4 which is the latest version.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Thu 22-Apr-10 12:43 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX (1) Dust Removal Doesn't Work? "
In response to Reply # 1

Rocky Mount, US

YEs, all the files I worked with were RAW. The only JPEGs were what the camera shop used. Initially I tried the jpegs but found out only Raws work.

Not sure how you "enable" Dust off. I load the Raw file, go to the Base adjustments, open Raw adjustments, click on the Dust Off triangle, and when the window opens, I direct it to the directory with both photos in it. Both NEF and NDF are grayed out. NX cannot find the NDF file.

Upgrading to 2.2.4 isn't an option as my money tree is too bare. NX 1 ought to be able to do it as it was designed to. Nikon Tech is at a loss so far.

>Dust Off NDF files only work with RAW files not JPEG. Make
>sure you have enabled Dust off in NX. I also suggest you
>upgrade to NX 2.2.4 which is the latest version.

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 23-Apr-10 01:11 AM
13501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: NX (1) Dust Removal Doesn't Work? "
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

If you are following the directions on page 51 od the NX manual, it should work. What camera are you using? Can you see your images without using Dust Off? If NX is not finding the NDF file, it has most likely not been created correctly. Go to your camera manual and follow the instructions exactly e.g focusing on a white object 10 inches from it, etc. If you get a successful file, it will tell you so.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Fri 23-Apr-10 04:16 AM
#4. "RE: NX (1) Dust Removal Doesn't Work? "
In response to Reply # 3

Rocky Mount, US

I am using a D300. I can see the NEF image normally. I followed the instructions precisely. It indicated everything was ok. Like I said, even Nikon is stumped. I was hoping some of you good folks had run into this.

>If you are following the directions on page 51 od the NX
>manual, it should work. What camera are you using? Can you see
>your images without using Dust Off? If NX is not finding the
>NDF file, it has most likely not been created correctly. Go to
>your camera manual and follow the instructions exactly e.g
>focusing on a white object 10 inches from it, etc. If you get
>a successful file, it will tell you so.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 23-Apr-10 07:06 AM
#5. "RE: NX (1) Dust Removal Doesn't Work? "
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

Like Nikon, I am stumped too. I have had situations where the NDF file was not right and therefore would not work, but it sounds like you made a good file. The reason I asked about your camera and if you could see the NEF images, was to check if you had the latest updates for NX. It has been a long time since I used NX, and I didn't remember if it would open D300 or later images. Sorry I have been of no help.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Fri 23-Apr-10 12:13 PM
#6. "RE: NX (1) Dust Removal Doesn't Work? "
In response to Reply # 5

Rocky Mount, US

Hey, thanks for trying. Nikon had me update NX from 1.3 (?) to 1.5 (?) whatever but it still didn't work. Still haven't heard back. Thanks for trying. It will probably be something simple that will be a "duh" moment. Whenever I get the answer I will be sure to post it.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2102 Previous topic | Next topic