Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #210
View in linear mode

Subject: "Refreshing folders view in Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 11-Jan-10 05:41 AM
809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Refreshing folders view in Capture NX2"

Westleigh, AU

I have installed version 2.2.4 of Capture NX2 on my computer running under Windows 7, 64 bit. On my backup expternal hard drive, which remains attached to the computer most of the time, I decided to rename some of the folders containing images. For example I renamed "My Pictures" to "Pictures" and "My NEFS" to "NEFS". (Don't ask me why - I just thought it was a good thing at the time). These folders reside immediately under the root directory of the drive.

But now, even after a several full reboots, NX2 is still showing "Pictures" as "My Pictures" in its folder view. Interestingly it has dropped the "My" out of the NEFS folder. Is Capture NX2 hardwired to only see a folder called "My Pictures"?
Is there any way to force NX2 to do a refresh on its folders? I couldn't see a menu option to force a refresh.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 11-Jan-10 10:56 AM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Refreshing folders view in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Hi

I’m not sure, but you may see Win7 in action, not NX2. Win7 differs from Vista, XP, etc. in the way the folder hierarchies for user documents and pictures are named. The old naming convention had “my pictures” under “my documents”, whereas in Win7 the “documents” and “pictures” (the “my” is missing) are at the same hierarchy level. In order to be compatible with software written for older versions of Windows, Win7 may comply with requests to old-style folders. So, if your folder is renamed from “my pictures” to “pictures”, your Capture NX2 may request the contents of the “my pictures” folder, and Win7 complies with that request, although the folder is actually renamed to “pictures”. This is why Capture NX2 does not know that the “my pictures” folder no longer exists. Another difference to previous versions is that in Win7 the “documents”, “pictures”, etc. are libraries, which may span several folder hierarchies on several physical disks.

This is just a wild guess, after quickly reading about the new naming conventions.

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 11-Jan-10 09:56 PM
809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Refreshing folders view in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Westleigh, AU

Antero,
I think what you are explaining is the only explanation I could think of. Its like NX2 doesn't know any way to ask for a folder other than the 'Windows way', especially for those folder types that are standard folders in any Windows set up.
Many thanks for your advice.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #210 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.