nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2028
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mike Hagen - After the Shoot" Previous topic | Next topic
WarrenW Registered since 13th May 2007Sat 17-Apr-10 12:33 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mike Hagen - After the Shoot"

London, UK

Hi Everyone

I am new to NX2 and would like some advice on what adjustments to my RAW images are easier to make in "DEVELOP" pane and what must/should be done in "ADJUST" pane. Have read Mike Hagens book but am a bit confused as he states in Chapter 4, page 86 paragraph 3 that some things must be done in ADJUST pane, such as White Balance and Highlight Protection but on the following page recommends a workflow in which WB & HP should be done in the DEVELOP pane.

Maybe I am having a senior moment!!

Very grateful for your advice.

thanks

Warren

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mike Hagen - After the Shoot
cej_in_nc Silver Member
17th Apr 2010
WarrenW
23rd Apr 2010
PAStime Silver Member
24th Apr 2010
rbsandor Gold Member
24th Apr 2010
JensF Silver Member
26th Apr 2010
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
27th Apr 2010

cej_in_nc Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009Sat 17-Apr-10 02:01 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mike Hagen - After the Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

US

After reading the first two sentences of this paragraph on page 86, I decided that the "Adjust" in the first sentence should be "Develop" while "Develop" in the second sentence should be "Adjust". Otherwise, I am also puzzled.

WarrenW Registered since 13th May 2007Fri 23-Apr-10 09:27 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mike Hagen - After the Shoot"
In response to Reply # 1

London, UK

>After reading the first two sentences of this paragraph on
>page 86, I decided that the "Adjust" in the first
>sentence should be "Develop" while
>"Develop" in the second sentence should be
>"Adjust". Otherwise, I am also puzzled.

I referred my question to Mike Hagen who replied as follows:
Hi Warren -

Sorry for the short delay. I've been on the road running workshops.

You are correct. This is the major error in the book on p86. It was messed up during the editing process.

The approach is to do as little as possible in the Develop Pane and then jump down to the Adjust Pane for all your other settings.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Mike Hagen

>

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 24-Apr-10 12:49 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mike Hagen - After the Shoot"
In response to Reply # 2

Kingston, CA

>I referred my question to Mike Hagen who replied as follows:
>Hi Warren -

Interesting. I have this part of page 86 circled as it didn't make sense to me. Thanks for sharing your findings with us. Peter

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Sat 24-Apr-10 04:16 PM
1545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mike Hagen - After the Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Warren: Here are some guidelines that have been developed by Jason Odell. Be aware that any change made in the Develop section is global and cannot be modified by use of the brush or selection control point. Following Jason's suggestions, I use the Develop section when necessary to change white balance, modify exposure or to correct clipped shadows/highlights. Anything you do in the Adjust pane though, is modifiable.

JensF Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2009Mon 26-Apr-10 01:02 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mike Hagen - After the Shoot"
In response to Reply # 4

Snekkersten, DK

That's right.

I have work with NX2 for a very long time and to me the major difference between 'develop' and adjust' are 'global' and 'partly'.
or the ability with adjust, to work on separate parts of the image.
There are no rules except for that.
Work with i it, read the 'manual' only if needed.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 27-Apr-10 09:46 AM
2560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Mike Hagen - After the Shoot"
In response to Reply # 5

Vantaa, FI

“to me the major difference between 'develop' and adjust' are 'global' and 'partly'.”

I have only used NX2 since January, so I may be totally mistaken, but I think a big difference between develop and adjust settings is that changes in the develop pane regenerate the image data from the raw data, which is a slow process but ensures a smooth (non-combed) histogram. Changes in the adjust pane operate on the pre-generated image data and may cause combed histograms. I try to split the operations between the develop and adjust pane so that I will not have to increase contrast or saturation in smooth areas (skin, sky, snow, sea) via the adjust pane, because that might cause visible banding. Even more so if I have to finish the image with Photoshop Elements, which is restricted to 8-bit images for many useful operations.

Please let me know if I am hopelessly off the track.

Best regards
Antero

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #2028 Previous topic | Next topic