Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1979
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problems with NX2 since moving to Windows 7" Previous topic | Next topic
timtrunnell Registered since 08th Jan 2008Fri 09-Apr-10 05:18 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problems with NX2 since moving to Windows 7"

Colorado Springs, US

I've been having problems getting Capture NX2 to work correctly since I upgraded to a new computer with Windows 7. It will just become unresponsive and shut itself down or last night it wouldn't let me open certain images at all. Then when I tried to reopen the program nothing would happen at all. I had to reboot and it still barely worked after that. I have used it quite a bit with this computer without too much trouble until the last few days. I have the latest version available on Nikon's download site. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there anything I can do make it work better? I also haven't been able to get Nikon's NEF Codec viewer to work on Windows 7 either. Bummer! Thanks for any help you all may have!

Tim

"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

H.I. McDunnough

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problems with NX2 since moving to Windows 7
guystooges Silver Member
09th Apr 2010
robsb Platinum Member
10th Apr 2010
TundraNut Silver Member
10th Apr 2010
robsb Platinum Member
11th Apr 2010
timtrunnell
15th Apr 2010
WarrenW
28th Apr 2010

guystooges Silver Member Nikonian since 28th May 2009Fri 09-Apr-10 09:40 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problems with NX2 since moving to Windows 7"
In response to Reply # 0

Fortuna, US

Hi Tim

Has your computer had any updates from Microsoft during the time of your NX2 problems? I believe NX2 needs Microsoft's .NET features to operate and perhaps there was a .NET update that caused an issue. I once had a problem similar to what you are describing that came clear after uninstalling all .NET and reinstalling it.

Have you installed any other software during this period what may be causing a problem?

You might consider using Window's built in System Restore feature and choosing a restore point created at a time before the trouble began.

Also look into clearing NX2's cache. Go to Edit/Preferences/Cache Settings and click on the two Clear Cache buttons there and shutdown/restart NX2 and see what happens.

guystooges

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 10-Apr-10 01:21 AM
12730 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Problems with NX2 since moving to Windows 7"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

If you are running 64 bit Win 7 the Nikon Codec will not work as it is not 64 bit compatible. Install Fast Pictue Viewer, it is free and will solve the Codec problem.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

TundraNut Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2009Sat 10-Apr-10 03:37 PM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problems with NX2 since moving to Windows 7"
In response to Reply # 2

Albuquerque, US

Interesting...so after the trial of FPV Pro, the basic version still includes the necessary codecs? I see where the standalone codec pack is $6 and was wondering if that's the route I needed to go.

Thanks,

Dave

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 11-Apr-10 01:00 AM
12730 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Problems with NX2 since moving to Windows 7"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

It is begging ware. i.e. if you like it you send the author a small donation. I did because it is such a nice program, and you need it if you want to run Annotate and work on NEF's. But it also solves the problem of not being able to open your NEF's in some programs.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

timtrunnell Registered since 08th Jan 2008Thu 15-Apr-10 06:56 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Problems with NX2 since moving to Windows 7"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the great ideas! I tried a few things, but what seemed to do the trick was to go into compatibility mode (right click on icon > properties > compatibility tab) and then switched to Windows Vista service pack 2 and it seems to have solved the problem. I also cleared both caches in NX2 for good measure. I have only had one night so far to put it through it's paces but had no problems. Thanks again!

Tim

"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

H.I. McDunnough

WarrenW Registered since 13th May 2007Wed 28-Apr-10 09:31 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Problems with NX2 since moving to Windows 7"
In response to Reply # 5

London, GB

I had a problems with NX2 2.2.1 but downloaded 2.2.4 update from the nikon site which solved the problem

warren

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1979 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.