Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1934
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3" Previous topic | Next topic
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Sat 03-Apr-10 06:14 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3"

US

I shot a wedding a couple weeks ago, my first one, and I survived the event w/ only a few hiccups. However I found my images were less than stellar and I will have a lot of work to do on a lot of photos.

I had in the past used ACR to process all my RAW images. But I wanted to see if any of the other RAW processing applications would do a better job than Photoshop ACR. I started out w/ Lightroom 2 and that did about the same job, though w/ more efficiency than ACR.

I had read that Nikon's proprietary software could/would do a better job so I downloaded that and began playing with it. I really do not like the interface, it takes four clicks just to White Balance, and the two control Red/Blue controls are hard to get an accurate color quickly. Then there is Picture Control settings which takes another couple clicks to activate.

But what I have found is that Capture NX2 just does a better job. I just downloaded Lightroom 3 on the advice from a member here that Lightroom's new engine would handle RAW images better. Lightroom 3 is a nice interface but still does not render as good as an image as what I can get out of NX Capture Pro 2. I wish it did though... but it just doesn't.

I hope either Nikon will make its program easier to use and more efficient or Lightroom 3 has a few more tweaks before it releases in June to compete w/ Nikon.

I am about to test Capture One, 5.1 and see how it fares. I will report back.

If anyone has anything to add or would like to discuss how to improve the results from LR please feel free to post here.

Doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3
pdekman Gold Member
04th Apr 2010
robsb Platinum Member
04th Apr 2010
ylwdog
04th Apr 2010
robsb Platinum Member
04th Apr 2010
ylwdog
04th Apr 2010
bakka303
04th Apr 2010
robsb Platinum Member
05th Apr 2010
ylwdog
05th Apr 2010

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sun 04-Apr-10 12:29 AM
1027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Doug -

You'll have to be more specific about what image characteristics you wish to improve on. If overall color rendering is not what you prefer, are you utilizing the camera profiles (Camera Standard, Landscape, etc) or using Adobe Standard? I find this will establish a favorite starting point and then you can tweak from there. Also, are you using D-Lighting in camera?

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 04-Apr-10 01:35 AM
12572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Doug are you using the latest version of Capture NX2 which is 2.2.4? I am puzzled by your WB comments. Are you in the Camera Settings Panel? The WB as you set it in the camera is displayed. If you want to change it you just need to click open the list, and select any other WB mode or method. You then based upon your choice can cool or warm the color, pick a K Temp, and or correct tint? I think it is quite easy. If you are trying to do all this with Picture Controls, that is not really the best way to do it. Picture Controls are what a JPEG shooter would use in camera, and you can use them in Capture NX2, for a quick adjust ment and you can also make custome ones to apply.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Sun 04-Apr-10 02:34 AM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Bob-
I am using 2.2.4. What I am referring to is using the eye dropper method to find a neutral point in the image. What I have found is that this method gives me greater control over WB. In the other RAW processors I have used, LR or ACR, it is a simple one step process. In LR a really nice feature is when panning over the image, there is a live preview window which displays the color shift which aids in seeing a quick preview. In NX2, it is a several click process, and it is very inefficient the way the program requires the user to activate it.

I was referring to Picture Control b/c to activate sharpening, that requires switching from the default setting to a different setting just to activate the sharpening control.

Thoughts?

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 04-Apr-10 07:17 AM
12572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Now that I know what you are trying to do, here are my comments. The neutral dropper only takes one click to neutralize color cast. You drop it on a point in the image that should be neutral and you are done. If you are trying to set B & W points than you use the Dual Threshold method on the histogram and when you find the B&W points in the image you click on them witht the respective B&W droppers. Otherwise as I said befor you use the camera settings panel to select the WB you want. Now as far asusing Picture controls to sharpen, most of us create custom Picture controls that we can apply. I have a set of all the picture controls with nosharpening applied so I can then use the sharpening tools in the edit list. Picture controls are Global and edit steps can be selective so you can do selective sharpening. If you have not yet visited Nikons site and seen their videos or bought a book on NX2 like Dr J's Book, you should. NX2 is not like any other Post Processor and it is loaded witheasy ways to do stuff, but it may not be obvious if you are used to Photoshop or LR.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Sun 04-Apr-10 12:05 PM
#5. "RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hey Bob-
Thanks for the additional thoughts. After working w/ the program more this morning I am starting to feel more comfortable w/ it. Your point of how NX2 works differently is quite accurately poignant- I am looking to achieve results in NX2 with the way I am used to in other editors.

You wrote about creating Custom Picture Controls... can you elaborate on this? How are you doing this specifically? I would like to see how this works...

Thanks,

doug

bakka303 Registered since 10th Nov 2009Sun 04-Apr-10 07:31 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

To OP-Have you seen this:http://ishootshows.com/2010/01/22/lightroom-3-vs-nikon-capture-nx-2/

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 05-Apr-10 04:34 AM
#7. "RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

When you open a picture Control right next to the reset button is a box with a gear at the lower right hand corner. If you click on the down arrow right next to it, you will see three choices:

Save as a New Picture Control
Load Custom Picture Control Settings
Launch Picture Contol Utility

If you start with an existing Picture Control, you can change the sliders, for example set Sharpening to zero and then select Save as a new Picture Control, and give it a name.

If you want to make a custom control completely from scratch you select the Utility. When you want to apply a custom control you made or got from someplace else, then you use the load selection.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Mon 05-Apr-10 12:45 PM
#8. "RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Awesome Bob- thanks for walking me through all this. I am really starting to like using the program... still would like more ease of use, but the quality is awesome.

Thanks-

Doug

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1934 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.