nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ylwdog

US
146 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009
Sat 03-Apr-10 06:14 PM

I shot a wedding a couple weeks ago, my first one, and I survived the event w/ only a few hiccups. However I found my images were less than stellar and I will have a lot of work to do on a lot of photos.

I had in the past used ACR to process all my RAW images. But I wanted to see if any of the other RAW processing applications would do a better job than Photoshop ACR. I started out w/ Lightroom 2 and that did about the same job, though w/ more efficiency than ACR.

I had read that Nikon's proprietary software could/would do a better job so I downloaded that and began playing with it. I really do not like the interface, it takes four clicks just to White Balance, and the two control Red/Blue controls are hard to get an accurate color quickly. Then there is Picture Control settings which takes another couple clicks to activate.

But what I have found is that Capture NX2 just does a better job. I just downloaded Lightroom 3 on the advice from a member here that Lightroom's new engine would handle RAW images better. Lightroom 3 is a nice interface but still does not render as good as an image as what I can get out of NX Capture Pro 2. I wish it did though... but it just doesn't.

I hope either Nikon will make its program easier to use and more efficient or Lightroom 3 has a few more tweaks before it releases in June to compete w/ Nikon.

I am about to test Capture One, 5.1 and see how it fares. I will report back.

If anyone has anything to add or would like to discuss how to improve the results from LR please feel free to post here.

Doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: NX Capture Pro 2 vs. Lightroom 2 or 3