Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1924
View in linear mode

Subject: "Differences/Benefits of using NX Transfer or NX View if..." Previous topic | Next topic
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Fri 02-Apr-10 01:52 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Differences/Benefits of using NX Transfer or NX View if using NX Caputer Pro 2"

US

Is there any benefit to using Nikon's other software if I am using NX Capture Pro 2?
I use Photo Mechanic for photo transfers. I read that NX View will speed up workflow, just as description, nothing in depth.

thanks,

doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Differences/Benefits of using NX Transfer or NX Vie...
glxman Silver Member
02nd Apr 2010
ylwdog
02nd Apr 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
03rd Apr 2010
ylwdog
03rd Apr 2010
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
03rd Apr 2010
ylwdog
03rd Apr 2010

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 02-Apr-10 10:31 PM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Differences/Benefits of using NX Transfer or NX View if using NX Capture Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Hi Doug,

I'm no expert with software but this is why I like Nikon transfer for my work flow,

I upload images from card using Nikon Transfer, (automatically defaulted when I connect the card reader),

When Nikon Transfer has finished transferring images it closes and opens up in View NX,

I then trash the images that I feel are not good enough,

Then burn them to DVD, (even before editing, I like to keep a copy of unedited images as I only edit when I need them)

Regards,
Gary

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Fri 02-Apr-10 10:36 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Differences/Benefits of using NX Transfer or NX View if using NX Capture Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 1

US

That is a cool workflow- thanks for the tip Gary. I will have a go at that and see how it works. I am looking into their tethered software too, so it may be a really nice fit.

cheers and thanks again,

doug

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 03-Apr-10 03:15 AM
13145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Differences/Benefits of using NX Transfer or NX View if using NX Caputer Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Many people especially Danny swear by Photo Mechanic and it certainly is a good piece of SW. For those of us who have not sprung for PM, Nikon Transfer and Nikon View offer many advantages as free software. When I stck my CF card in my card reader, it opens Transfer and I copy all the files off the card and store the Raw images on two separate hard drives at the same time. I can define the locations and even assign new folders if I want and I can also have Transfer change the name of the files as they are imported and can even tell it which EXIF data I want transferred as well. Once that transfer is done, Transfer automatically closes, and Nikon View opens. I use View as I can easily get full screen previews where I can rank my images. When I am done I sort the images by rank and then pick an image and select open in Capture NX and the file opens Capture NX and I do my post processing and additions to EXIF data there. I save my processed file as a new file in a processed image folder on my hard drive. If I want to do anything further in Photoshop I click on open with, which has been set to automatically open Photoshop CS4 extended and Capture NX moves a 16 bit TIF there. So you get a very nice integrated flow.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Sat 03-Apr-10 11:00 AM
#4. "RE: Differences/Benefits of using NX Transfer or NX View if using NX Caputer Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Bob-
Thanks for the in depth explanation. You have been extremely helpful in your responses to my recent posts. That is really helpful in understanding how the different parts fit together.
The one thing related to the workflow process you do is, have you found a way to keep the browser panel open while opening an image and the panel remains docked? It is not a huge deal now that I found if I un-dock the panel, but would be nicer if that was avoidable.

Thanks again for help recently-

cheers,

doug

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 03-Apr-10 06:03 PM
13145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Differences/Benefits of using NX Transfer or NX View if using NX Caputer Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 03-Apr-10 06:05 PM by robsb

San Jose, US

Doug I normally open my images through View NX. When I do open an image in NX2 through its browser, I don't keep the panel open, so I have not observed your issue. Is there a reason that you want to keep it open in a docked position rather than floating? PS, in my post I had said I can select EXIF data to transfer, I meant XMP/ITPC data.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Sat 03-Apr-10 06:14 PM
#6. "RE: Differences/Benefits of using NX Transfer or NX View if using NX Caputer Pro 2"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the follow up. I only want to keep it docked to keep the desktop workspace as clean and orderly as possible. I am working w/ a single monitor so real estate is limited and a premium.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1924 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.