Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1914
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 Capture Pro 2 Questions: Crop and Using Color Contr..." Previous topic | Next topic
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Thu 01-Apr-10 01:40 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 Capture Pro 2 Questions: Crop and Using Color Control Points"

US

Sorry for the vague title- but my second question requires some explanation-

Question 1-
When I set up a custom crop of 12x8 and select the area to crop, the actual cropping crops down further than the guides, why? And, is there a setting to instruct the program to follow the crop guideline box?

Question 2-
Editing an image using a Control Point: I will set White Balance then do a few more editing features. After that I will set a Color Control Point to fine tune an image, if after that I attempt to make another edit back in one of the edit panels the changes I have performed w/ the Color Control Point are removed. It appears that I have to start over from scratch. What is going on here, is there an issue, is my workflow flawed, is there a setting I need to select to render a different view?

Question 3-
This program crashes a lot- what is Nikon's commitment to improving this problem and improving the program?

Thanks,

Doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 Capture Pro 2 Questions: Crop and Using Color C...
ericbowles Moderator
01st Apr 2010
martinc
03rd Apr 2010
ylwdog
03rd Apr 2010
Freewheeler10
04th Apr 2010
ylwdog
04th Apr 2010

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 01-Apr-10 06:48 PM
8738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 Capture Pro 2 Questions: Crop and Using Color Control Points"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

<Editing an image using a Control Point>
There are a couple of things that may be happening. It depends on exactly what editing steps you are taking. I normally adjust white Balance in the Develop Section. Then I use the Control Points in the Edit Section. Control points can impact different amounts of your selection depending on the size of the control point, the proximity of another control point, and the simlarity of color and texture in the image. I use extra control points to neutralize adjacent colors that I am not trying to edit.

With a small number of functions, the Adjust step overrides the control points. I found that the Filter / B&W Conversion works that way, but the Adjust, B&W Conversion does not.

Depending on workflow, it is possible to have edits on topp of edits, and one change involves returning a previous change to neutral. The best solution is to reorder your steps from most global, to area, to local.

<This program crashes a lot>
There are several issues here depending on your hardware and operating system. To minimize crashes limit yourself to editing one image at a time, save periodically is you have a large number of steps, and be sure you have enough RAM. I have had some crashes with 2GB of RAM and a Vista OS. With 4GB of RAM, the number of crashes is very rare and usually related to a background scan or download. Windows 7 and 64 bit OS are still problematic - you can see other threads with good discussions of the issues and possible work arounds.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

martinc Registered since 15th Dec 2005Sat 03-Apr-10 04:55 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 Capture Pro 2 Questions: Crop and Using Color Control Points"
In response to Reply # 0

Stockport, GB

As regards Question 1, I am not sure what you mean by "crops down further than the guides". IF you mean that the result of the crop is something other than 12 inches by 8 inches, the explanation is that Capture NX2's crop tool sets the relative dimensions of the image, rather than the absolute dimensions. As a second stage, you need to set the latter be going to Size / Resolution in the Edit menu.

As regards Question 2, I suggest that you go to Edit / Preferences / General and, if it is not already activated, tick 'Keep all steps active in Edit List'. I hope that helps.

Martin

Photography Books

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Sat 03-Apr-10 09:55 AM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 Capture Pro 2 Questions: Crop and Using Color Control Points"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks Eric and Martin.
I have been working w/ the settings and trying to figure out the cause of some of the issues. I spoke w/ Nikon Tech Support directly yesterday- though not a lot of help- a nice guy...

Eric- I figured out the crashing problem. When upgrading or reinstalling on a Mac there are more steps than what is the normal process. Mac procedure is to drag program to trash can. I found that Capture has an Uninstaller program and after completing this, Nikon recommends rebooting before installing or upgrading. This fixed that issue. Thanks for the suggestions.

Martin- You nailed the "keeping control points active" issue- thanks. That was a royal pain.... thanks! Nikon Tech support failed to point that out. But on the flip side- it caused me to do a reinstall based on their recommendations which fixed the crashing problem. And possibly the crop problem, b/c now that behavior that I described is now non-existent. Thanks for the great tip.

Cheers,

doug

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Sun 04-Apr-10 11:56 AM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 Capture Pro 2 Questions: Crop and Using Color Control Points"
In response to Reply # 3

Englewood, US

>Eric- I figured out the crashing problem. When upgrading or
>reinstalling on a Mac there are more steps than what is the
>normal process. Mac procedure is to drag program to trash can.
>I found that Capture has an Uninstaller program and after
>completing this, Nikon recommends rebooting before installing
>or upgrading. This fixed that issue. Thanks for the
>suggestions.

Ever since OS X came out, I have been suspicious of the "just drag it to the
trash" uninstall approach. For apps that do not come with an uninstaller, I
recommend AppCleaner, I think the latest version is 1.2.2. Works well at
finding more of the "bits and pieces" that are part of an install that you don't
normally look for.

Where there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us
nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in
which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see.
____Dorothea Lange

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Sun 04-Apr-10 12:09 PM
#5. "RE: NX2 Capture Pro 2 Questions: Crop and Using Color Control Points"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks Freewheeler:
Migrating from PC environment it felt weird, but all the Mac cs agents told me that was all that was needed. I just did a search and found the app and downloaded it. Appreciate the tip...

doug

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1914 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.