Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #19
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8" Previous topic | Next topic
D90nikon Registered since 08th Aug 2009Fri 22-Jan-10 04:18 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"

US

I am using Elements 5 and looking to upgrade to either Elements 8 or Capture NX2. I just purchaced a D90 and would like to know if Capture NX2 would be a better fit. Would it be worth the effort to learn new photo editing software? What are the main differences between the two programs? What are the advantages / dis-advantages of NX2?

Thanks for your time,

Barry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8
jeffmeyers Silver Member
22nd Jan 2010
D90nikon
22nd Jan 2010
wmarkle Silver Member
22nd Jan 2010
wblink
24th Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
25th Jan 2010
TCMilner
26th Jan 2010
D90nikon
27th Jan 2010
Doug M
29th Jan 2010
JES44
29th Jan 2010
klafollette Silver Member
29th Jan 2010
wesmannmsu Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
cej_in_nc Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
d3100user Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
               Reply message RE: Capture NX2
gaston Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
                    Reply message RE: Capture NX2
mholka
29th Mar 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
30th Mar 2011

jeffmeyers Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 25th Aug 2006Fri 22-Jan-10 05:03 PM
623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 0

Crestwood, US

Why not download a trial of NX2 and see if you like it. Find a couple of tutorials online and work through them for a few hours. If you shoot RAW, I would think you'd be thrilled with NX2. I never use PS anymore except when I have to do pixel level editing.

Jeff Meyers
Lumos Galleries

D90nikon Registered since 08th Aug 2009Fri 22-Jan-10 05:17 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Yes, I normally shoot in RAW. I am going to download NX2 trial to see how intuitive the software feels. Are there any features that you would like to see in NX2?

wmarkle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Fri 22-Jan-10 09:55 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 2

King City ON, CA

I am pleased with the performance and results using PSE8 for both cataloguing and editing. NX2 is easily incorporated into PSE8 as a raw editor for Nikon's NEF files.

Wils

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Sun 24-Jan-10 03:36 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 3

Gendt, NL

>I am pleased with the performance and results using PSE8 for
>both cataloguing and editing. NX2 is easily incorporated into
>PSE8 as a raw editor for Nikon's NEF files.
>
>Wils

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand you.
How do I install CNX2 as (external?)RAW editor in PSE8?
I suppose I have to return a TIFF manually to PSE8 after editing?

Willem

Sony Nex-7

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 25-Jan-10 06:06 AM
12704 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

When you set up NX2 you can pick any other editor you may like to open a TIF conversion of your processed NEF file for further processing. The only requirementis that SW has to be able to process a 16 bit TIF. Once you set this up in NX2 then all you have to do is open your NEF and then in file drop down click on "Open with" NX2 will then automatically create a 16 bit TIF and export into your chosen program like PSE8. I am an advanced user of Photoshop, but it is rare that I do any processing in CS4 extended anymore, as I can usually do all I need in NX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

TCMilner Registered since 30th Jan 2008Tue 26-Jan-10 02:02 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 0

The Woodlands, US

I started with a D50 and upgraded to a D90 within the last year. If you plan to shoot RAW, I think there is no better software for you than NX2. This software was designed to work seamlessly with your D90. Picture Controls, D-Lighting, Distortion and so many other controls speak the same language as your camera. And if you decide to add Color Efex 3.0 down the line, you will be amazed at the artistic possibilities available to you.

Elements was designed for a much more generic application, from pocket cameras to DSLRs. But relatively few advanced photographers utilize this long term.

The only significant complaints I hear about NX is speed, which is primarily noted as a problem with batch processing.

If you find you need a good cataloging program to keep track of your growing number of NEFs and JPEGs, then I recommend IDImager. The new version 5 works seamlessly with NX and is an excellent performer.

Good luck, and enjoy post processing.

D90nikon Registered since 08th Aug 2009Wed 27-Jan-10 10:54 AM
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks for all of your responses. I have been slowly adjusting to the trial version of NX2 and need to spend more time learning how to use the controls properly.

Barry

Doug M Registered since 26th Jan 2009Fri 29-Jan-10 02:11 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I have both PSE8 and NX2.I use both but after using NX2 for 2 weeks.
I find I prefer using NX2.I love the flow of NX transfer/Nx View/NX Capture2.Having All the internal camera settings to work with in Raw is also really nice in Capture nx2. Doug M

JES44 Registered since 19th Feb 2007Fri 29-Jan-10 02:54 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

I shoot RAW with my D90 and use both NX2 and PSE 8. NX2 is the program that I always use to open the image and in about 80% of the time that's all I use. NX2 is the perfect tool for Nikon RAW images. Sometimes, though, I need the features of Elements such as layers, magic extractor, recompose photo tool, photomerge, etc. Then I click "open with" in NX2 and it opens the image in Elements. The one downside is that, while Elements can open 12 bit (and 16 bit) images, to actually do anything, they must be converted to 8 bit. I have not found the 8 bit image to be an issue.

As a user of Elements, you will probably find NX2 a bit confusing. I certainly did. At the end of my 30 day trial, I still wasn't sure I wanted to buy it. I did buy it though and I've been very happy I did. It jut takes a while. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. Also, buy Jason Odell's book.

klafollette Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009Fri 29-Jan-10 10:33 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 0

Carol Stream, US

I have a D80, shoot RAW and started out with Elements v7. I hated that I had to convert to 8-bit to make changes, but I liked the cataloging of PSE. After looking at options of Lightroom, full Photoshop, I didn't like the options. I tried Capture NX2 and loved the non-distructive edit list concept, and really really loved the Nik color-point/adjustment-point tools, not to mention I think the RAW conversion looks better in NX2. To get the same color-point tools in PSP or Lightroom would require the Nik Viveza plug-in for $200, but still not be non-destructive like it is in NX2.

The downside of switching from Elements to NX2, was losing all the cataloging database functions. After much more research, I found IDimager fit the bill, and more. So, that's now my suite. I do all the image ingestion, tagging, and work-flow in IDimager Pro, and do editing in NX2. They work very seamlessly together.

Visit my SmugMug gallery.

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011Tue 29-Mar-11 02:56 PM
302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Can anyone point to some excellent tutorials of CNX2?

Thanks

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

cej_in_nc Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009Tue 29-Mar-11 06:33 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 11

Waynesville, US

The following is a non-exclusive list of some information/tutorials for CNX2:

Nikon's main Capture NX2 site: http://www.capturenx.com/en/index.html
Nikon's user manual available here:
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/related/1#Anchor-2

online short lessons by Nikon:
http://www.capturenx.com/en/lessons/lessons/index.html

How to articles:
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14234

additional material
http://dptnt.com/2008/11/capture-nx2-videos-by-moose-peterson/
http://www.youtube.com/user/drjay32#p/u
(see list on the right -- some are relevant for NX2)
http://www.nx101.com

Useful books for learning (and recommended for purchasing):
1) ebook by Jason Odell: http://www.luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.html
2) Book by Mike Hagen: "Nikon Capture NX 2 After the Shoot" available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Capture-NX-After-Shoot/dp/0470409266/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1298216492&sr=8-4

d3100user Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2011Tue 29-Mar-11 08:18 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 12

US

The more I read and the more I play around in CNX2 the more I am really starting to like it.

gaston Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2006Tue 29-Mar-11 08:28 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 13

Vancouver Island, CA

I really began to enjoy Capture NX2 after I built a fast PC. Its a resource-heavy application.

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Tue 29-Mar-11 09:44 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 14

Brownstown Twp, US

You definitely need a robust PC. And it still has a few little bugs like it will not allow you to save a particular file once in a while. If you go and do something else or edit another file and then go back to it usually you can then save it.

Elements allows you to do more with the final image - photobooks, special treatments, matte's etc.

I have not found a way to do the matte's or digital frames for the images with CNX2. I wish there was the ability to use a plug-in from someone else to do that kind of stuff.

The lessons on the CNX2 site are pretty good. Quick and they get you going pretty fast.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 30-Mar-11 07:00 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Capture NX2 or Photoshop Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

One disadvantage is Elements does not incorporate curves - which for many medium and most advanced user makes it useless as an "only" editing package.
I do not think there is a single package that does everything - which is why most use more than 1 package.
What NX2 does well (which is a lot) it tends to to better, quicker and more intuitively than anything else - what it does not do it does not do.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #19 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.