nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #1682
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 Memory Leak" Previous topic | Next topic
Robp Gold Member  Gainesville, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009 Sat 13-Mar-10 03:47 PM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 Memory Leak"

Many Nikonians have stated that Capture NX2 has a memory leak. What is the evidence that specifically indicates a memory leak as opposed to any other problem?

In general, I have been very pleased with the performance of NX 2.2.4 on my iMac with Snow Leopard but I have a couple of minor issues I'm trying to resolve. I have an Incident Report open with Nikon Support and I observe that they respond positively to substantiated information when I can supply it.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Mar 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak sevtcard Silver Member
15th Mar 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak Robp Gold Member
15th Mar 2010
     Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak Len Shepherd Gold Member
15th Mar 2010
     Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak Freewheeler10
15th Mar 2010
     Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak MstrBones Silver Member
16th Mar 2010
     Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak sidewinder Silver Member
16th Mar 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak jayhem
16th Mar 2010
16th Mar 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
17th Mar 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak Baaker Silver Member
17th Mar 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak sevtcard Silver Member
17th Mar 2010
17th Mar 2010
17th Mar 2010
18th Mar 2010
19th Mar 2010
19th Mar 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak jayhem
17th Mar 2010
17th Mar 2010
     Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak RufusB43
19th Mar 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak TiggerGTO Silver Member
19th Mar 2010
19th Mar 2010
Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak sidewinder Silver Member
19th Mar 2010
20th Mar 2010
     Reply message RE: NX2 Memory Leak TiggerGTO Silver Member
21st Mar 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Sun 14-Mar-10 03:05 AM
13620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 0

Rob I think you are correct in that we have called the issue a memory leak because it acts like one, but don't for certain that it is one. I have not done anything to prove it is a leak one way or another. Perhaps someone else has done more investigation as to the cause. What we do know are the symptoms. The program usually fails to complete a save action or puts up an error message that says there is not enough memory to complete a task. You usually have to close the program to clear the fault.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

sevtcard Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009 Mon 15-Mar-10 03:19 AM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 0

in windows, you can turn on task manager while 2.2.4 is running and watch it gobble up memory while you are doing nothing...when it reaches a certain point, the program will not work...Nikon has acknowledged this de facto from its behavior, but not through the fact of an admission...likely would create some bad press = in spite of the fact that we all know that there is some type of problem that involves the memory, however it is characterized....

R Mark Burke
www.broadwallphotography.com

Robp Gold Member  Gainesville, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009 Mon 15-Mar-10 07:58 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 2

Interesting observation. I cranked up the MAC version of Task Manager, Activity Monitor, and put NX2 through a nonsense exercise of using every editing tool I could easily find. As the edits mounted up I approached 2GB of memory consumption but memory use did not increase while doing nothing. When I closed the file, the memory use went back down to the original amount observed on opening NX2. Sequentially opening and closing several files had no different effect. Exiting NX2 released all memory.

I tentatively conclude that NX2 on Snow Leopard does not have a memory leak. I googled NX2 + Memory Leak and found that many people would disagree with my conclusion.

NX2 has crashed a couple of times when I was editing but I didn't really examine the error message to see if it's the same that Bob is seeing. I'll be more attentive next time.

Rob

Len Shepherd Gold Member  Yorkshire, UK  Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003 Mon 15-Mar-10 08:51 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 3

This type of issue can be very much reduced in NX2 properties cache settings etc by reducing cache settings.
To speed up opening files previously worked on NX recalls the full files of maybe 100 or 200 files (a lot of memory and sometimes more than on the system) - if you do not restrict it.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Freewheeler10   Englewood, US  Registered since 17th Apr 2008 Mon 15-Mar-10 01:50 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 3

>I tentatively conclude that NX2 on Snow Leopard does not have
>a memory leak. I googled NX2 + Memory Leak and found that
>many people would disagree with my conclusion.
>
>NX2 has crashed a couple of times when I was editing but I
>didn't really examine the error message to see if it's the
>same that Bob is seeing. I'll be more attentive next time.
>
>Rob

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

I tend to agree with you; I also have not been able to actually view memory usage
increasing while NX2 is idling in Snow Leopard. There is an issue with Cache settings
however. I turned off caching completely in NX2 and it became totally stable again.
I'm through messing with it now.

"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when
they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make
them come back again. "
__Henri Cartier-Bresson

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

MstrBones Silver Member  AW  Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005 Tue 16-Mar-10 01:56 AM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 16-Mar-10 02:54 AM by MstrBones

Actually, your experience is the exact same thing I see in XP with NX 2 version 2.2.4.

As I edit images, it page faults at a terrific rate to demand more memory, (page faulting is the standard way that any application in Unix, Windows, and other modern operating systems request more memory to accomodate the application's memory resource needs (for anybody interested ) ).

Since XP does not have a max working set of memory assigned to this app, it keeps handing over available memory, (some operating systems allow for only handing over so much physical memory to an application. Once that quota is exhausted, the application then begins disk page swapping, a bad thing that impacts performance because it has to literally begin taking pages of memory and swapping them to a pagefile on a disk, which has a fraction the speed of a swap to a pool of memory typically allocated for this purpose. Once that behavior begins, the whole system slows to the speed of the I/O rate of the disk drive).

Anyway, once I close the image in question, (leaving NX 2 running), the application releases the memory back to the XP.

I think NX 2 is more of a resource hog than a true memory leak, though it seems someone at Nikon could give more thought to its utilization of memory.

""

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Tue 16-Mar-10 02:48 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 3

>I tentatively conclude that NX2 on Snow Leopard does not have a memory leak. I googled NX2 + Memory Leak and found that
>many people would disagree with my conclusion.

Funny. I did the same test and got the same results you did.

I had some issues with when I upgraded to 2.2.4 but once I reinstalled the complete 2.2.4 version, all my problem disappeared. I have experienced a few crashes, but nothing consistent and certainly not constant.

Scott

jayhem     Registered since 29th Dec 2007 Tue 16-Mar-10 06:43 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 0

Rob,

I'm surprised you're so pleased with NX2 2.2.4 on Snow Leopard. How did you get it to work?

I've opened a ticket with Nikon Europe support 6 weeks ago and tried everything they suggested, and also every possible trick suggested in forums, but I simply can't stop it from crashing. Now they've ran out of canned responses and stopped replying, won't provide a patch and can't even tell me if/when the next release will be shipped, so I don't expect any fix from Nikon anytime soon.

I really love the possibilities of NX2, it would be by far the best image processing software for advanced NEF processing... if it worked. When I'm very careful and make sure all other apps are closed when running NX2, using the 'keep all steps active' setting and cache disabled, I sometimes manage to work for 15 minutes without crashing, but usually it seems to just crash at random times (mostly when I have some nice work ready to be saved).
Btw I'm running on latest model 17'' macbookpro/4GB ram/128GB SSD/OS X 10.6.2, editing D200 NEFs (compressed). Haven't used it with my D700 NEF's yet, but I don't think it will make a difference.

Regards,
Jean-Marc

Robp Gold Member  Gainesville, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009 Tue 16-Mar-10 11:22 PM
#9. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 16-Mar-10 11:58 PM by Robp

Jean-Marc,

I haven't had as many problems nor have they been as serious as many I read about. I think this is because I reacted early to their warnings.

Here are some things I have done. I did them as information became available at random times. Some are redundant and some may have had no effect, but I haven't been able to qualify them, so I suggest you just do them in the following order.

I make no guarantees regarding safety, performance, satisfaction or whatever; proceed at your own risk. I hope this helps though.

1. Invoke "Disk Utility" from your Applications/Utilities folder and select "Verify Disk Permissions"; it will probably report a lot of "Differences". If you have no issues reported, skip this next instruction. Upon completion, select "Repair Disk Permissions"; this will probably report a lot of "Repairs" plus the following statement:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Per Apple Support, you can safely ignore this warning. I have a list of other warnings that can be ignored; let me know if you see any others and I'll check the list.

Run "Verify Disk Permissions" again to confirm that everything else has been repaired (only because the list could be so long that you might not see another warning).

2. Delete these 3 preference files if you have still have Capture NX2 issues:

Macintosh HD\Library\Preferences\Capture NX 2.plist
Macintosh HD\Users\User Name\Library\Preferences\com.nikon.CaptureNX2.plist
Macintosh HD\Users\User Name\Library\Preferences\Nikon_Shared.xml

You will have to redo your preferences when you next invoke NX2. This was suggested by "Jeff" at Nikon Support.

3. Remove all duplicate fonts on your system. I think this is important. It was reported by NIK software at:

www.niksoftware.com/downloads/pdf/usa_faqs/Snow%20Leopard%20Duplicate%20Fonts.pdf

They suggest specifically removing duplicate Ariel fonts, but I went through the whole list and removed MANY duplicates.

When you finish removing the duplicate fonts, look for damaged fonts.

Invoke "Font Book" from your "Applications" folder. Click on "All Fonts" under "Collection", then click on any font under "Font". Under "Edit" in the bar at the top of the screen, choose "Select All", then choose "Validate Fonts" under "File". Any font files with a problem will be flagged with a yellow warning symbol. Click on the problem fonts to select them only and "Disable" them under "File".

4. If you still have problems, blow the whole thing out of the water and start over. Be sure that you have your license key before deleting NX2.

Open the "Application/Nikon Software" folder and every subfolder in there (could be "Capture NX 2", "Nikon Message Center 2", "Nikon Transfer" and "ViewNX". These programs share some files, so uninstall every one.

Open "Finder" and traverse the directory tree under your Username (and others if present) and also under the "Macintosh HD" (system directory). Delete any left over files or folders associated with any of the Nikon products you just removed; there will be a lot of them because Uninstall doesn't work very well. Be careful to remove only the items I've noted. Don't remove any ICC/ICM profiles because they get shared with other applications. If you are not reasonably sure that a file has been associated with the products, leave it. If you are sure about the folder it's in, delete the folder and its files.

Download and re-install any of the Nikon products you want. Get "Message Center 2" even if you only want NX2.

I've developed some of this. The rest was contributed by others whose names I did not record but I thank them.

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Wed 17-Mar-10 12:34 AM
13620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 9

WOW that is some list! Makes me kind of glad I am running Win 7 64 bit on a PC. It is too bad that you have to be put through the ringer to get NX2 to work in your OS. Hope you both get it going well for you. We can only hope that some of the glitches we see in NX2 will be gone in NX3.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Baaker Silver Member  Dumbarton, UK  Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009 Wed 17-Mar-10 09:06 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 10

For windows users. I made the switch and it does increase the virtual memory. Please read carefully and ensure that all the conditions apply to you. It is simple to do if done correctly and will make a difference?

http://www.maxi-pedia.com/3GB+switch+Windows+boot.ini+3+GB

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

sevtcard Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009 Wed 17-Mar-10 01:42 PM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed 17-Mar-10 01:44 PM by sevtcard

"For windows users. I made the switch and it does increase the virtual memory. Please read carefully and ensure that all the conditions apply to you. It is simple to do if done correctly and will make a difference?"

tried this - didn't work for windows 7 using 2.2.4. i have a 'test' file that reproducibly blows up with 2.2.4 but works with 2.2.3. memory is the issue and nikon has been silent now for about 3 months (to be fair, they originally at least asked for some supporting info, including a copy of my test file), but they haven't shown any evidence that they intend on (or will be) solving the problem - beyond requesting the data, there's been no followup. as others have suggested, this is, at a minimum, very poor customer service - and possibly represents something worse.

R Mark Burke
www.broadwallphotography.com

Freewheeler10   Englewood, US  Registered since 17th Apr 2008 Wed 17-Mar-10 01:19 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 10

>WOW that is some list! Makes me kind of glad I am running Win
>7 64 bit on a PC. It is too bad that you have to be put
>through the ringer to get NX2 to work in your OS.

I am on the other end of the spectrum. Running Snow Leopard since the second
day it was available. I installed NX2 once, turned off the caching back in September,
it runs like a dream and has never crashed since. I use it daily and I feel sorry for
the windows 64 bit folks who keep reporting problems. I modified the Boot.plist
here so the iMac always boots in 64-bit mode, but whether the OS is in 64-bit or
32-bit mode, NX2 just runs the way it's supposed to.

In fact, the only thing I own, hard-or soft-ware wise that doesn't like Snow
Leopard in 64-bit mode is a little USB fax modem that I may have used half a
dozen times in 3 years.

them come back again. "
__Henri Cartier-Bresson

Robp Gold Member  Gainesville, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009 Wed 17-Mar-10 02:49 PM
#16. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 13

Aha... one of the reasons I post to the forums; it generates new items of interest!

Freewheeler, what benefits accrue after booting in 64-bit mode? I had happily assumed my iMac i7 2.8 GHz 8GB RAM speed demon was in 64-bit mode, but you've called that into question.

My experience is similar to yours except for some initial problems probably generated because I didn't wait for the NX 2.2.4 release. I think the left-over trash from the 2.2.2 then 2.2.3 installs interfered with 2.2.4. Everything is running perfectly now that I've swept out the leftovers.

I also have an HP laptop running Vista with NX 2.2.4 installed. Everything set up right, color profiled and probably not a bad rig, but not even in the same ballpark as the iMac.

Paul Takeuchi has developed an NX2 speed processing test that he has posted at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=32800226

I ran the test a couple of months ago and my iMac completed them in 41 seconds, which, at the time, was the fastest performer out of about 50 respondents. My HP took several minutes to complete the test. A Windows 7 Intel e8400 3.6 GHz machine took 75 seconds.

I guess I'm getting off the memory leak track here, but the bottom line is that we all want NX2 to run well.

Rob

MstrBones Silver Member  AW  Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005 Thu 18-Mar-10 11:19 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu 18-Mar-10 11:21 PM by MstrBones

Rob,

You said,

>I ran the test a couple of months ago and my iMac completed them in 41 seconds, which, at the time, was the fastest performer out of about 50 respondents. My HP took several minutes to complete the test. A Windows 7 Intel e8400 3.6 GHz machine took 75 seconds.

So, to make and apples to apples comparison, (no pun intended), what were the exact configs of the two computers?

1. CPU/Cores
2. Total memory in gigabytes
3. Disk type/RPM/capacity

To be honest, the main thing that impacts the performance of applications executing on different operating systems these days, (provided the software is written to an equivalent level for each platform), is the amount of memory and the speed of I/O of a given configuration.

Apple is working hard to get developers to optimize their code for the newer multi-core chips that will continue to proliferate and in fact are pushing themselves to have the OS kernel itself to assign more of the computing workload distribution than depending on the application developers to provide that functionality. That means a lot o integration taking place between the OS and the language compilers being provided to, say, the Nikon developers of NX 2.

The following link is a tad technical, but go to slide 117 where the presentation starts to talk about the future.

http://www.usenix.org/event/lisa08/tech/hubbard_talk.pdf

""

Robp Gold Member  Gainesville, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009 Fri 19-Mar-10 03:50 AM
#18. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 17

MstrBones, in response to your question...

"So, to make and apples to apples comparison, (no pun intended), what were the exact configs of the two computers?

1. CPU/Cores
2. Total memory in gigabytes
3. Disk type/RPM/capacity"

My iMac: 2.8 GHz Intel/Quad Core I7, 8 GB RAM, One SATA/7200/1 TB
My HP: 2.0 GHz Intel/Dual Core T7250, 4 GB RAM, One SATA/5400/160 GB

Your comment about application performance is true. CPU chores are orders of magnitude faster than read/writes to RAM; read/writes to disk are orders of magnitude slower than that and external I/O is really miserable. That's why real-time programmers and other serious professionals liberally incorporate Asynchronous System Traps (AST's) in their code to enable a process to continue operations without having to wait for completion of some tasks. Written this way, applications run much faster.

The NX2 speed test used batch processing to edit several different images. Sufficient RAM would obviate I/O slowdowns due to paging but minimal disk I/O would occur with image call-up and save operations. Others have suggested that sufficient memory is critical to NX2 performance and I would guess that they are correct.

My plate is pretty full right now; maybe someone else can use Apple's Activity Monitor or Windows' Task Manager to compare NX2's disk I/O with large and small amounts RAM. I'll bet paging goes way up with less than 4 to 6 GB. Vista and XP 32-bit systems can't use that much memory so they are going to suffer with a lot of paging.

Let me know if I would win my bet!

Rob

Freewheeler10   Englewood, US  Registered since 17th Apr 2008 Fri 19-Mar-10 01:22 PM
#20. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 16

>Freewheeler, what benefits accrue after booting in 64-bit
>mode? I had happily assumed my iMac i7 2.8 GHz 8GB RAM speed
>demon was in 64-bit mode, but you've called that into
>question.

Last time I checked, the only macs that boot by default into 64bit mode are
the G5 quadcore or eight-core servers.

Your iMac will, by default, boot into 32bit mode. You can force it to boot into
64bit in a couple (at least) ways: Edit the file
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
and add a line that says: arch=x86_64 into the Kernel Flags field, or
open a Terminal window and type
sudo nvram boot-args="arch=x86_64
These two methods are permanent until you change the Boot.plist back to the original
or reset the PRam (command-option-p-r while booting). A temporary trial can be
accomplished by holding down 6 and 4 while booting. Lasts until the next boot. Check
"About This Mac/More Info/Software" section to see what mode you're in

As usual, I take absolutely no responsibility for what happens when you tinker with
your system software.

This iMac runs about 30% faster during some file operations in 64bit, most apps
are about the same. Aperture 3 is definitely faster in 64bit.

them come back again. "
__Henri Cartier-Bresson

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jayhem     Registered since 29th Dec 2007 Wed 17-Mar-10 01:58 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 9

Rob,

Thanks for all the info, very useful for anyone trying to get NX2 to work on a Mac.

I've gone trough most of these steps before (several times), as they were suggested by Nikon support, but I didn't know about Message Center 2, so I restarted once more from scratch, found some duplicate fonts that made it back into my system, and amazingly it seems more stable now... that's almost a miracle. If it keeps working, I will finally be able to use NX2 in my workflow... nice! Now I wonder if adding the Nik plugins will impact stability.

Thanks again, you're a life saver!
Jean-Marc

Freewheeler10   Englewood, US  Registered since 17th Apr 2008 Wed 17-Mar-10 01:05 PM
#12. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 8

>Rob,
>
>I'm surprised you're so pleased with NX2 2.2.4 on Snow
>Leopard. How did you get it to work?

I have not had many issues here, either. iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo with
4Gb ram. I did turn off the caching, but I leave all edit steps open, works
like a charm. Editing NEFs from my D300; 12-bit, 14-bit, uncompressed,
compressed, makes no difference, it just does what it's supposed to do.

Hasn't had an issue since I turned off the caching, which was back in
September.

them come back again. "
__Henri Cartier-Bresson

RufusB43   Hagerstown, US  Registered since 20th Jan 2009 Fri 19-Mar-10 11:21 AM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 12

I am surely going to try these fixes when time permits, as my NX2 crashes on my IMac frequently. So much so that I have resorted to reloading the thing at least 6 times! I have the latest version and run Snow Leopard as well. It is good to know others are having this problem too, as I feared it may be my machine (new by the way). It seems to crash less often on my Mac laptop, which I do not understand. Someone said they had not tried NX2 with their D700 NEF files. That's all I run on the program and it seems there are no problems, other than these frequent crashes. Thanks, guys.
Ron

TiggerGTO Silver Member  Apex, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006 Fri 19-Mar-10 02:30 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 0

Interesting how these NX2 threads keep getting repurposed. This memory leak thread has turned mainly into a Snow Leopard thread while the Nikon Software Service thread turned into a color space discussion.

Anyways, I have never done an explicit test to look for memory leaks in NX2; however, my typical usage seems to indicate that there is one. I usually edit files serially and rarely have more than one or two open at a time. After a number of images, I eventually get to the point where I can either not open a new image or can not save an edited image with an error message from NX2 indicating that it out of memory. I have noticed that I hit the problem much less frequently since upgrading my laptop to Windows 7 and/or installing the latest NX2 update. I definitely do still hit the problem though.

I don't always do so, but the times I remember looking at Task Manager, it didn't appear that the memory usage for the NX2 process was significantly out of line. My impression is that there is some sort of problem with the way NX2 manages its resources. But, I am just guessing since I have no internal knowledge of their code. For all we know they could be having a problem with file handles and their code is generalizing that to "out of memory".

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Robp Gold Member  Gainesville, US  Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009 Fri 19-Mar-10 03:26 PM
#22. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 21

Danny,

"Interesting how these NX2 threads keep getting repurposed."

I apologize for the digression from a pure memory leak issue, but I think this occurs because we are chasing the elusive and more generalized "Problem-free Operation" without having, as you noted, "knowledge of their code".

In the past, I have had problems with NX2 including crashing but did not notice the "out of memory" error message. I might have missed it. Except for a minor color rendition issue I have no problems with NX2 now. Maybe the "out of memory" problem is specific to Microsoft or, as you pointed out in another thread, maybe it's even more specific to a certain hardware configuration.

Again, as you have pointed out, Nikon is not providing a lot of support and that is prompting some people to give up on NX2. I think that's a shame since NX2 handles RAW files better than anything else, in my opinion. Since my installation works well, I'd like to encourage its acceptance and I think that is advanced by contributions of "fixes" from the user community.

But... you are right about the repurposing (I like that word) so I'll try to start a new thread when I start to digress too much.

Rob

sidewinder Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010 Fri 19-Mar-10 04:42 PM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"

>Interesting how these NX2 threads keep getting repurposed. This memory leak thread has turned mainly into a Snow Leopard
>thread while the Nikon Software Service thread turned into a color space discussion.

Danny,

That's just how conversation works. Somebody says something interesting or controversial and someone else in the conversation picks up on it. You can't tell us you have not seen this before or done it yourself. It's the nature of the medium.

Scott

MstrBones Silver Member  AW  Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005 Sat 20-Mar-10 09:04 PM
#24. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"

Danny,

Do you have a screenshot of the out of memory message box. I have not had such messages though I have had NX either slow down or just hang and it does seem a bit better behaved with version 2.2.4 than it was in the past.

""

TiggerGTO Silver Member  Apex, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006 Sun 21-Mar-10 04:20 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: NX2 Memory Leak"
In response to Reply # 24

Unfortunately, I've haven't been doing much photo editing lately. I'll try to remember to grab a screenshot of the message when/if I hit it again.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #1682 Previous topic | Next topic