nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1615
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 metadata" Previous topic | Next topic
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 09-Mar-10 02:17 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 metadata"

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Hello,
Anyone help me please - is it possible to delete my own created Keywords form NX2 (latest version)?
I have tried deleting the tags from my images but does not help.

path is - NX2- Metadata-Tags-label-Rating-Keywords.

My list is too long and now confusing how do I start again from scratch?
Thanks for looking.

Nikon D200
Nikon Capture NX2 v 2.2.4
Win 7 64 bit

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 metadata
rbaskin Silver Member
09th Mar 2010
expat Silver Member
09th Mar 2010
CMawby
09th Mar 2010
rbaskin Silver Member
10th Mar 2010
expat Silver Member
10th Mar 2010
expat Silver Member
11th Mar 2010
expat Silver Member
25th Oct 2010

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Tue 09-Mar-10 09:08 PM
358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 metadata"
In response to Reply # 0

Ridgefield, US

I don't think you can do this from within NX2. I've wanted to organize/alphabetize my keywords and the response from Nikon is that the capability is being considered in a later release.

You can get to the list itself in the Registry. You could edit the list there, but make sure you back it up before you procede. I'll try and find the exact registry area and post it. I've been meaning to go in and organize but haven't gotten to it yet.

If anyone knows an easier way, I haven't seen it posted yet.

Hope this helps.

Ralph in CT

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 09-Mar-10 11:06 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 metadata"
In response to Reply # 1

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Many thanks for your reply.

CMawby Registered since 01st Jun 2009Tue 09-Mar-10 11:34 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 metadata"
In response to Reply # 2

Sammamish, US

Just to add to Ralph's note, I believe under Windows 7 that the keywords are saved in the Nikon Capture NX 2 user-specific 'application.cfg' file. For me, the path+filename looks like:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Nikon\Capture NX 2\application.cfg

As with all configuration files, you should (A) exit Capture NX 2 before editing, and (B) make a backup copy -- the keyword list is essentially XML-based and located upder:

<key name="IPTC">
<key name="Keywords">
<value>Keyword 1
Keyword 2
Keyword 3
</value>
</key>

I edit mine with a text editor to sort/order as I prefer to see the keyword list, and will occasionally remove keywords I no longer use. I don't recall exactly where the config file was stored under XP (but it was part of the roaming profile) and have no experience with this on a Mac.

Charles

Attachment #1, ( file)

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Wed 10-Mar-10 02:19 AM
358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 metadata"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 10-Mar-10 02:53 AM by rbaskin

Ridgefield, US

I tried working with application.cfg file and found that it didn't have all my keywords in it. I don't know if it anything to do with my starting with NX and upgrading to NX2 and also using ViewNX where I do my keywording.

If the cfg file has all the keywords that would definately be the easiest solution.

In my registry, the keywords are located under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Nikon
NkFramework
ViewNX
Mainframe
IPTCView
History
Keywords

You could also search the registry for one of your distinct keywords and that should get you there.

Ralph in CT

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Wed 10-Mar-10 08:16 AM
#5. "RE: NX2 metadata"
In response to Reply # 4

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thanks for excellent replies, will try them out later.
I eventually received a reply from Nikon Europe to the question.
They agree that there is no delete facility but they will consider it for future versions.
Dave

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Thu 11-Mar-10 11:16 AM
#6. "RE: NX2 metadata"
In response to Reply # 5

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

All sorted thanks, opened the config & used wordpad to edit. Fortunately I have just started a big sort out session and there are not too many images in my new start catalogue and so I deleted all keywords from the images themselves and can now add them as I go along. Nice new, clean keyword list & a way to do it.
Dave

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 25-Oct-10 04:46 PM
#7. "RE: NX2 metadata"
In response to Reply # 6

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Charles, way back in March you posted in reply to my query about deleting keywords, if you are watching could you please give more help please?

I used your path "C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\Nikon\Capture NX 2\application.cfg' and have been deleting keywords from there using wordpad but I now find that the original list is remaining in Capture NX 2. ie .cfg presently shows the 26 keywords I want but the keyword arrow in NX2 still shows 37 words as they were before deletion.

I open the .cfg side by side with NX2 and that is what I see.
I notice that some of the words in NX2 are in fact duplicates.
So to me it seems that NX2 has stored my original list irrespective of what "C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\Nikon\Capture NX 2\application.cfg' says.

Hope you can see what I am trying to say.

Thanks,
Dave

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1615 Previous topic | Next topic