nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #1347
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX changing File names.." Previous topic | Next topic
Jayto   HK  Registered since 16th Oct 2009 Tue 16-Feb-10 04:08 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX changing File names.."
Tue 16-Feb-10 04:19 AM by Jayto

Hello,

I am using a Mac and I have al my .NEF files in one single sub folder under the my pictures folder.
I have been taking photos on my D90 and have the number sequence function turned on.
All the photos in the subfolder are numbered as expected.
I used view NX to look at the photos and found that some photos were not where I expected them to be. For example a photo taken days before was sitting in the middle of another set.
I checked the file name again in the sub folder and found that View NX was displaying a different photo to the one in the photo sub folder.
I have removed View NX and re installed but the problem is still there.
I have used nikon Transfer for some time to transfer photos from my camera to my computer.
I have heard that there may be a problem with nikon transfer changing details of photos.
I have used NX2 to check the photos and they are shown correctly, it seems the problem is only associated with View NX
Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Tue 16-Feb-10 08:14 AM
13670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: View NX changing File names.."
In response to Reply # 0

Idon't have aMAC but herearesomecomments anyway.

First try clearing the cache in View NX. The fact that you can see the files in NX2 OK means that the files are OK. Sometimes the cache gets corrupted and you will see the kinds of stuff you are seeing. When you reinstalled your old cache files were probably still there.

Nikon Transfer only changes things if you ask it to. For example if you tell it to rename the files it will add that data tothe file and write itto the location you requested. I have never had any problems ever with Nikon Transfer.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Joseph D   Vancouver, CA  Registered since 28th Jul 2009 Tue 16-Feb-10 03:24 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX changing File names.."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 16-Feb-10 03:24 PM by Joseph D

Dumb question but since it happened to me as a fairly new Nikon software user myself, I thought I'd mention it.

Have you tried to change the sort order? I mean, I don't know why but for some reason, my ViewNX was set to Date Modified.... once I selected Date Shot, all was well again... and it seems to have sticked as well.

Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Joseph

You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.
-Mark Twain

Jayto   HK  Registered since 16th Oct 2009 Wed 17-Feb-10 02:52 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX changing File names.."
In response to Reply # 2

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

Yesterday I was reorganising my photos and in the process renamed the folder holding all my raw files, I may have also cleared the cache but I cant be sure as I tried a lot of things.
Any way this morning View NX seems to be working fine again and has the photos where they should be
Thanks a lot for the suggestions it is most appreciated

Regards

Jayto

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #1347 Previous topic | Next topic