Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1268
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best way to use High Pass Filter?" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 11-Feb-10 11:27 AM
2815 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best way to use High Pass Filter?"

South Australia, AU

Hi Guys,

I've had NX2 for quite some time now and starting to get the swing of many options,

I use selective Unsharp Mask quite often and had a lot of success with it,

What I don't understand, is how and when to use the High Pass Filter,

I have played around with opacity and the radius and "appear" to get a result but I don't know the correct sequence for the work-flow,

Also, I have only been using the Blending Mode as Normal, don't have a clue when to use the other blending options,

Work-flow so far has been,
Open image,
Adjust opacity until I just see the image outline,
Adjust the radius until the image starts to "sharpen"

The above has been a wild guess, not sure of the routine or what I should be looking for,

Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?
ericbowles Moderator
11th Feb 2010
F1 Fan
11th Feb 2010
glxman Silver Member
11th Feb 2010
robsb Platinum Member
12th Feb 2010
ericbowles Moderator
12th Feb 2010
F1 Fan
12th Feb 2010
glxman Silver Member
12th Feb 2010
glxman Silver Member
12th Feb 2010
mpappa Silver Member
13th Feb 2010
glxman Silver Member
13th Feb 2010
ColColt Silver Member
17th Feb 2010
robsb Platinum Member
18th Feb 2010
flygirl1
06th Mar 2010

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 11-Feb-10 11:56 AM
8147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 11-Feb-10 12:08 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

I'm still learning to use High Pass as well.

The approach I am using is to use High Pass when you have reflective surfaces - such as for selective sharpening of eyes in a portrait. It also is good for subtle details. This approach and the settings were recommended by a Nikon School instructor. He did not claim this was the only approach.

As a starting point, set the Radius to the number of megapixels of your camera. With a D300 I set Radius to 12.

Open up Opacity and change the Blending Mode to Overlay.

Use the Opacity slider to set the amount of sharpening that you desire. I use 30% for a subtle impact.

The first image was resized and then had Unsharp Mask applied.

The second image had High Pass sharpening applied as described above and then was resized and had Unsharp Mask applied. The Unsharp Mask settings were the same for both images. Sharpening was applied globally rather than selectively for illustraiton of the impact.

It's probably hard to see the difference in this tiny JPEG. Note the increased definition of highlghts, and some of the subtle detial that shows in the wood with High Pass version - especially on the left edge of the violin

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

F1 Fan Registered since 12th Jan 2007Thu 11-Feb-10 12:17 PM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Louis, US

I have a different approach. I am not saying it is better than others, it just the way I use it.

For images with hard edges (Structures, cars/transportation,), I will view an area at 100% and set HP to 1 to 2 pixels and opacity between 50-80%. What I am looking for is the edges to become more defined without getting too jagged. Then I will add USM at a low setting, 30-5-4. If the edge looks well defined, I accept the changes and turn the step off. Then I zoom out to full size and toggle the step on and off to be sure it looks good to me. I use a USM "snapshot" setting of 50-5-4 without HP for images that are not that important to me.

I use this for portraits as well but only apply it to the eyes, lips, highlights in the hair and perhaps jewelry if everything is in focus.

I am going to try the method detailed above. Sounds interesting.

Mark,
www.MarkHornePhotography.com

Life is short. Live it as an Exclamation, not an Explanation.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 11-Feb-10 09:48 PM
2815 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Tks, Mark/Eric,

Will set radius to 12, (D700), and have a go,

I'm assuming that the approach to settings is dependent on the type of image, but I could be wrong,

Love your images Eric, your right, it is a bit hard to tell the difference on the small jpegs, especially to my "untrained eyes"

Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 12-Feb-10 01:40 AM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Gary also look at the other discussion here about Unsharp Mask as we discussed High Pass as well. The key is that High pass is usually for images with sharp edges and it has to be used sparingly. I don't use any preset, I just move the slider until I start to see the edges I want to sharpen. Then I adjust opacity to suit. I also often use two different forms of USM one with a high amount and low radius as is the normal use and another with a low amount and high radius. The second is generally for images that don't have sharp edges, like water, as it gives you a more molded 3d effect, the first for general use. In portraits it makes sense to apply all 3 as it will give you better portraits.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 12-Feb-10 12:15 PM
8147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

The images I posted are too small to really see the difference.

Here are 100% crops. Look at the detail in the grain and the edge reflections. The only difference in these two is the applicaiton of High Pass. Normally I would apply Unsharp mask after resizing, but do to the 100% crop I did not apply any edits after resizing.

Unsharp Mask only - 100% crop

Unsharp Mask and High Pass - 12 pixels and 30% opacity

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

F1 Fan Registered since 12th Jan 2007Fri 12-Feb-10 03:04 PM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 6

St. Louis, US

Looks much better to me. Thanks for posting the zooms.

I intend to give this a serious try.

Mark,
www.MarkHornePhotography.com

Life is short. Live it as an Exclamation, not an Explanation.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 12-Feb-10 02:41 AM
#5. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 12-Feb-10 03:07 AM by glxman

South Australia, AU

Tks Bob,

Much appreciated, will look at the USM thread,

Good point about using varying sharpening options on the same image, something I had not thought of,

Just had a look over on the USM thread, tks, even a few more options I must look at

Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 12-Feb-10 08:44 PM
#8. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Much appreciated Eric,

There is a huge difference, especially the grain on the outer edge,

I have been using the normal blending mode, will have to try the others now and see the effect,

Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

mpappa Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Sat 13-Feb-10 11:02 PM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 0

Doylestown, US

Gary,

This is a great article on Understanding Blending Modes in NX2 and another on High Pass Sharpening

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 13-Feb-10 11:41 PM
#10. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Much appreciated Mike,

Have slotted them in my favourites!

May save me a lot of time,

I have been trying all the options and blending modes on different images, appears some modes suit better than others,

Just love this NX2, if there ever comes an NX3 with a few other options like cloning etc, I would be a very happy Nikon software user,

Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

ColColt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Wed 17-Feb-10 03:36 PM
1071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 10

Knoxville, US

Just a generalized question but would the use of the High Pass filter work better for animals than USM?

My goal in life is to be the person my dog already thinks I am.

Children are for people who can't have dogs. ~Author Unknown

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 18-Feb-10 12:31 AM
12254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 11

San Jose, US

I think a combination would. The key to HiPass is using a very small amount, but I think it would do a good job on fur and if you shoot birds, feather detail. I would then overlay a small USM sharpening as well.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

flygirl1 Registered since 12th Jan 2007Sat 06-Mar-10 08:53 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Best way to use High Pass Filter?"
In response to Reply # 11

Orlando, US

>Just a generalized question but would the use of the High
>Pass filter work better for animals than USM?
>
>
>My goal in life is to be the person my dog already thinks I
>am.
>
>Children are for people who can't have dogs. ~Author Unknown

I use the ovelay mode with high pass sharpening selectively on most all my wildlife images. I use a small global sharpening, then the last step after cropping, if needed, I selectively use high pass on the eyes and the tips of the fur, feathers,etc. I rarely use it on the edges.

All the best
Nancy Elwood
www.naturesportal.net
www.quickactionharness.com
Home of The Quick Action Harness

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1268 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.