Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1216
View in linear mode

Subject: "Versioning" Previous topic | Next topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 08-Feb-10 02:12 PM
5590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Versioning"
Tue 09-Feb-10 01:10 AM by esantos

Tacoma, US

When using versions in NX2 to save different settings for an image, How do you change an existing version.

For example:
I have save a Version 1 and a Version 2
I make additional changes to Version 2
I want to save the new Version 2

It seems to me that you can only save teh "new" Version 2 as an new version, say Version 3, then go back and delete the "original" Version 2 and rename Version 3 to Version 2.

Is that correct?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)
DrJay32 Gold Member
08th Feb 2010
FrankSRGB Silver Member
08th Feb 2010
wesmontgomery
09th Feb 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
09th Feb 2010
mklass Platinum Member
09th Feb 2010
FrankSRGB Silver Member
09th Feb 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
09th Feb 2010
mklass Platinum Member
09th Feb 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
09th Feb 2010
mklass Platinum Member
09th Feb 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
09th Feb 2010
mklass Platinum Member
10th Feb 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
10th Feb 2010
Reply message Versions
James23p Moderator
10th Feb 2010
Reply message RE: Versions
sidewinder Silver Member
10th Feb 2010
James23p Moderator
10th Feb 2010
mklass Platinum Member
10th Feb 2010

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Mon 08-Feb-10 02:19 PM
3323 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Mick-

All you need to do is create the "Version 2" and overwrite the name. Once you save the file, that version is preserved. That should work.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide series of eBooks
Capture NX, Capture NX 2, and now Nik Silver Efex Pro

www.luminescentphoto.com

Read my blog

Listen to The Image Doctors

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Mon 08-Feb-10 08:32 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 1

US

My experience matches that of the OP. When creating a new version and changing the name to one that already exists, NX offers no option to overwrite. Instead it pops up a message saying that name already exists, dismissing the message simply returns me to New Version dialog where presumably it wants a new name entered.

wesmontgomery Registered since 01st Feb 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 10:06 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 09-Feb-10 05:06 PM by wesmontgomery

GB

It seems that the best way to update a version is to go to Edit Version and delete the version you are updating - then you can save as that version name/number.

There is, apparently, no way of overwriting a version.

Wes

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 10:12 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I rather like this behavior. Capture NX2 is protecting the version so you don't write over it. If you don't like it, you can manually delete it.

This is standard behavior in many document control environments. It is sometimes called "version protection".

Scott

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 09-Feb-10 01:41 PM
5590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

I think a simple "Do you want to overwrite?" confirmation would be a better approach, rather than forcing the extra steps. And you can still revert by not saving the file.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Tue 09-Feb-10 05:22 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Mick, that would be a big improvement.

While we're on the topic of extra steps, I'd still find it aggravating to type in the name of a version I just opened or created. A new dropdown menu option for Update_Existing_Version would be nice, especially if it expands to reveal a list of your named versions. Icing on the cake would be if NX remembered the most recently opened version (in the current NX session) and pre-selected that name in the list.

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 05:51 PM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Guys,

Welcome to the world of document control. This is reasonable behavior for a professional product that manages different versions of the same file.

I, personally, would prefer them make it hard to overwrite an existing version versus making it easy to make a mistake and delete something I worked on for an hour.

Scott

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 09-Feb-10 06:15 PM
#8. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

Perhaps it should also prevent us from saving the file with the same name, so we need to delete the original then rename the new version. This can get pretty silly, and people will only make mistakes.

As they say: "We made our product Fool-Proof, unfortunately, our customers must be idiots, not fools."

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 08:04 PM
#9. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Mick,

I guess you have never used software that has version control built in. What Nikon is doing here is common in that world and is considered a best practice. They are protecting the versions inside the NEF file. You can do what you want to the NEF file. The intent is not to make it fool-proof or difficult.

Is it killing you guys to leave the intermediate versions in there?

But, if you makes you feel better to complain.....

Scott

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 09-Feb-10 08:55 PM
#10. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 9

Tacoma, US

Scott:

Yes I have used software with versioning capabilities, adn not all of tehm prevent uou from "updateing" a version or force you to create a new one just to update an existing one.

Cluttering up a file with unneeded versions is a waste, confusing, and potentially can cause other errors. I name my versions with something meaningful, so when I want to cahnge one, I don't necessarily want to rename it.

When determines what is a "best practice"? Seems to me the customers should.

As for your last comment, I would only say I think it is uncalled for.

I started this thread to ask how to do something and express my opinion about what might work better. Others have thought it worthwhile to comment as well. Whether Nik or Nikon want to do anything about that is up to them.

If the best practice police want to target me, be my guest. But it was also perhaps a best practice of Nikonians not to have a separate forum for Capture NX and Nikon software, yet that seems to have worked out OK once the customer's wishes were heard.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 11:44 PM
#11. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Mick,

A little touchy today, aren't we? Many version control software packages don't let you delete or directly change intermediate versions. At least not unless you are the person running the server that has the master program running on it. Even then it is an exception process.

This is quite normal in both document creation/editing and software development environments.

I guess I just don't see the big deal. I've been using Capture NX2 for a few weeks now and I didn't think twice about this particular behavior. Maybe I am just used to concept and appreciate the intent. There are plenty of things I don't like about how Capture NX2 does things, but I am learning more about how it works and don't find it to be a large enough bother to get excited about it. Pretty soon those things I don't like will be second nature and won't be an issue at all.

I've tried to explain why the software works the way it does and how it is a tried and true concept. I think it is a good idea and you hate it. It looks like our votes cancel each other out. Maybe you can figure out a way for it work for you too.

Scott

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 10-Feb-10 03:05 AM
#12. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 11

Tacoma, US

After you're used Capture NX for a few years, like I have, maybe you will appreciate the limitations and frustrations of dealing with it. Conventional ways of doing things don't mean anything, other than limiting thinking of the best way to do something.

As for "touchy", I think that is an entirely inappropriate comment.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Wed 10-Feb-10 03:46 AM
#13. "RE: Versioning (oops wrong forum)"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Mick,

Get a thicker skin. You are way too sensitive for the Internet.

So far I have read about the Capture NX 2 version control features in three respected books (I purchased all three) about the software. The three books speak highly of the feature and do not suggest there are any negatives to it. Yes, these are books about the software so I expect them to not be negative. But not every feature is praised either. The positives mentioned actually make sense.

I've seen a lot of complaints about various aspects of Capture NX 2 all over the Internet. It's astounding how many complaints there are! But this is the first time I have seen the version control feature dispraised like this.

"Best practices" don't get to be "best practices" because they don't work or are stupid. I understand you don't like the feature. "Best" here is relative. As I pointed out earlier, I think the feature is a positive and so do a lot of other people along with Nikon and probably Nik software. With a good naming convention I am sure you can work around this "feature".

Scott

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 10-Feb-10 04:07 AM
9155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "Versions"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 10-Feb-10 04:14 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

Well I use NX2 all the time but to be honest I have never used the version function and if I had I did by accident!

But lets stay on target here we all have functions we like and dislike. I love NX2 and it is my main RAW editor thus my embarresment for not knowing the version function. But we need to not make this personal. Personal attacks are against the ToU.

Now if someone can in a nutshell explain the version function and what it is used for. I just upload my images to ViewNX, open them in NX2 and edit them and convert to JPEG if needed and print or send to the photofinishers.

Jim

PS Is the version function the drop down menu that I use to revert to the original NEF and the various versions I saved or were working on?

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Wed 10-Feb-10 05:31 AM
#15. "RE: Versions"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>PS Is the version function the drop down menu that I use to revert to the original NEF and the various versions I saved or
>were working on?

Jim,

The version function is indeed the drop down menu you mention. It is a powerful feature when combined with the nondestructive editing of Capture NX 2.

As you have surmised, it lets you save multiple versions of a NEF file. You can revert to anyone one of them at any time or go back to the very beginning.

Scott

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 10-Feb-10 06:13 AM
9155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Versions"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed 10-Feb-10 06:14 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

Ah so I was using it! I guess for me an overwrite function is not a must since it seems to work for me even if unknowingly! I do shoot RAW so I do tend to work several versions for different purposes ie BW, Sepia etc.

Thanks Scott

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 10-Feb-10 06:14 AM
#17. "RE: Versions"
In response to Reply # 14

Tacoma, US

Jim:

With versioning, you can make a series of edits to the image, save it as a version in the file, and then make additional or completely different edits, and save them in the same file. You can then easily switch between versions without having to redo your work. You could, for instance, have and color and a B&W version of the same image, all saved in the same NEF file. I don't know what the limit is on the number of versions, but probably more that I'll ever use.

And yes, the version menu is at the top of the edit list.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1216 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.