nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #12040
View in linear mode

Subject: "Update of View NX2 available" Previous topic | Next topic
fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Tue 15-Apr-14 06:29 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Update of View NX2 available"

Oakland, US

Hello Nikonians.

Nikon has updated View NX2.

The following text is from the Nikon USA web site and I've included the link at the bottom of this message.

ViewNX 2 is an all-in-one application for image transfer*, browsing, sorting, and quick editing for both still images and movie files. It is a fun and easy-to-use application offering enhanced operation and is useful for all Nikon digital camera owners.
Nikon Transfer 2 is included in the application to provide easy file transfer from your Nikon camera* or Memory card reader to a Primary and Backup destination folder. View all images before transfer and select only those you want to keep, rename them, add copyright or other XMP/IPTC information, or Protect your image files from deletion.
New editing functions enable cropping and image straightening for RAW-, TIFF- and JPEG- format images, and adjustment of White Balance and Exposure Compensation for NEF/ NRW RAW images captured with Nikon digital cameras. The Picture Control Utility is also included to allow quick modifications of Picture Controls for NEF/ NRW RAW files.
View NX 2 will batch convert and/or resize NEF/ NRW RAW files to TIFF(16- or 8-bit) or JPEG quickly and easily.
Other editing options include Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness, Highlight and Shadow Protection, D-Lighting, Color Boost, Auto Red Eye Reduction, and Axial Color and Lateral Color Aberration filtering.
If more editing is needed, open with Nikon Capture NX 2 with one click on the toolbar.
ViewNX 2 is also equipped with new Movie Editor that allows users to trim existing movie files to remove unwanted portions and then compile clips into a single movie with added music and different segment transitions.
View NX 2 offers smooth collaboration and easy upload with Nikon Image Space, Nikon's image storage and sharing service.
Geo Tag option is fun to add GPS coordinates to your image files and place them on a world map or use the Log Matching function to match image date/time information with GPS log data, then write GPS data to images.
*Please note that the transfer function will not transfer images from serial connected cameras. Use of a memory card reader is recommended. This option allows images shot with much older Nikon digital cameras to be used with the latest Nikon software.

The link: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18916/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzk3NTM5NTIwL3NpZC9tUDFOM1FSbA%3D%3D

Hope this helps.

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, just let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Update of View NX2 available
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Apr 2014
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Apr 2014
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
16th Apr 2014
donaldjledet Silver Member
16th Apr 2014
Reply message View NX 2 10.2
Javier Arguello
03rd Nov 2014
Reply message RE: View NX 2 10.2
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
03rd Nov 2014
SRFast Silver Member
05th Nov 2014
Javier Arguello
05th Nov 2014
Javier Arguello
05th Nov 2014
Javier Arguello
18th Nov 2014

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 15-Apr-14 01:40 PM
15007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Update of View NX2 available"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Here is what changed in this update:

Updates that apply to both the Windows and Macintosh versions:

Support for the Nikon 1 V3 and COOLPIX S810C has been added.

Additional changes to the Windows version :

Support for Windows XP has been eliminated.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 15-Apr-14 11:33 PM
13498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Update of View NX2 available"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

The same changes have been made in updates to Control Pro 2 and Capture NX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 16-Apr-14 04:25 AM
9918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Update of View NX2 available"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

Thanks Bob for the update info.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

donaldjledet Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Aug 2013Wed 16-Apr-14 11:10 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Update of View NX2 available"
In response to Reply # 3

Gretna, US

Thanks for the heads up on update for View NX2.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Javier Arguello Registered since 01st Nov 2014Mon 03-Nov-14 10:27 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "View NX 2 10.2"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 03-Nov-14 10:28 AM by Javier Arguello

AU

Hello:

I have been using VNX2 on Windows since my first nikon. I have the v9. I generate JPEGs from the NEF files.

The JPEGs that I load into internet I use to modify them in GIMP just to add a water mark.

When I installed the VNX2 v10.2 that supports the sidecar files generated in CNXD, the VNX2 showed the following error on the JPEGs that were modified in GIMP.

Unsupported File

I found here "nikonians" site a similar issue in 2012 with the VNX2 for Mac. VNX2 didn't display JPEGs that were generated by programs/cameras that are not Nikon.

I contacted Nikon, they replay back but without solution to the JPEGs that can not be displayed in VNX2 10.2

Because I use VNX2 as browser for my photos, I needed to re-install the v9 and I am able to see again all my JPEGs files.

It is a shame that Nikon set the limitation if you are just browsing JPEGs. Anyway, I am using VNX2 (v9), CNXD (v1.0.3), and GIMP to add watermark to JPEGs.

Does any one know how to display ALL JPEGs in VNX2 v10.2?

Thank you.
Javier

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 03-Nov-14 01:18 PM
3538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: View NX 2 10.2"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Javier,

I have been using View NX2 10.2 lately because when CNX2 no longer supports a new camera I might buy I won't have to use NX-D which I don't like. I generally only shoot raw but because of your post I tried a few jpg's from different sources.

I find I can view jpg files from a Canon camera, jpg's from a scanner, Nikon files modified by PS CS6 and jpg's modified by Photomatix. I'm running VNX2 10.2 on a 27" iMac.

I have a feeling that your GIMP program is modifying some parameter in the jpg file that 10.2 doesn't like. I don't have GIMP so I can't test it. If you post one of your GIMP modified JPG's to your gallery I can download it and see how it loads on my copy of 10.2.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Wed 05-Nov-14 01:19 AM
1474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: View NX 2 10.2"
In response to Reply # 6

New York City, US

I use NVNX2 for the majority of my post processing and I have never had a problem opening JPEG files from any source. If you are only having issues with edited images, than that's the source of your problem.

Regards...JL

Javier Arguello Registered since 01st Nov 2014Wed 05-Nov-14 01:36 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: View NX 2 10.2"
In response to Reply # 6

AU

Thank you Len.
I will upload them tonight.

JL:
I have JPEGs generated in FujiFilm FinePix camera, but didn't browse them. Anyway, I had already some JPEGs with the problem.

After installing VNX2 10.2 I didn't process any JPEG, I just open it and went to a folder where I have some JPEGs. Only those saved in GIMP were showing the message if I try to see it in full screen, but still the small view was displayed.

This is one I added water mark and loaded into flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arguelloflores/15428725140/

Then, after installing again the VNX2 9 I went to the same folder and all were displayed as usual.

Javier Arguello Registered since 01st Nov 2014Wed 05-Nov-14 11:24 AM
#9. "RE: View NX 2 10.2"
In response to Reply # 6

AU

Hello Len:

I uploaded 2 photographs into my gallery. You can find them in the "Monochrome" album.

Sunny at Kamba Park
Flower spin

JPEG was generated one from View NX2, the black & white from Capture NXD. I added the water mark in GIMP and save.

I could see the small view in VNX2 v10.2 but not large view of them. The large view showed the "unsupported file" message.
Then re-installing v9 I am able to see them.
Let me know if you are able to see them.

Thank you.

Javier Arguello Registered since 01st Nov 2014Tue 18-Nov-14 12:33 AM
#10. "RE: View NX 2 10.2"
In response to Reply # 9

AU

Hello:

I have bad news, and good news.

My existing JPEGs will not be able to be modified by CNXD 103 or VNX2 102 because those JPEGs were saved using in GIMP using the following option:

Save XMP data

The good news:
If I disable this option when saving JPEGs in GIMP then JPEG will be compatible with CNXD and VNX2.

I still wonder why VNX2 v9 is able to open the JPEGs without any issue.

Well, at least the small option allows me to use GIMP for my water marks.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #12040 Previous topic | Next topic