Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11990
View in linear mode

Subject: "Leraning New Software is the Easy Part" Previous topic | Next topic
pdavitt Gold Member Nikonian since 26th May 2013Tue 01-Apr-14 02:22 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Leraning New Software is the Easy Part"

Fort Davis, US

I was going to start this post during the recent "The Sky is Falling" reaction to the demise of CNX2.
However, I decided not to, did not want to add fuel to the fire. Now that the dust has settled, here goes.

Being relatively new to digital post processing, my experience has been that learning the
"How" (i.e. Software) is the easy part. The hard parts to learn are:

1. If and where to crop.
2. What adjustments to apply. (Curve Work, Contrast, Saturation, White Balance, etc.)
3. Intensity of the adjustment.
4. Why a particular adjustment will make the photo better.
5. Where to apply the adjustment. (Globally or Selectively)

In my opinion, I believe that most CNX2 users, that are switching to other applications,
will now agree with the above.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Pat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Leraning New Software is the Easy Part
RYnikon Silver Member
01st Apr 2014
pdavitt Gold Member
01st Apr 2014
PBlais Silver Member
02nd Apr 2014
robsb Platinum Member
02nd Apr 2014
Kidkett Silver Member
03rd Apr 2014
Reply message RE: Learning New Software is the Easy Part
glxman Silver Member
03rd Apr 2014
Reply message RE: Learning New Software is the Easy Part
William Rounds Gold Member
03rd Apr 2014

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Tue 01-Apr-14 04:15 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Leraning New Software is the Easy Part"
In response to Reply # 0

Pittsford, US

Pat,

I agree, no question.

The art of image processing lies in understanding what could be done to an image to develop it into the one you want to see. In order to do that, one has to, first, SEE the difference in one's mind and, two, realize what changes can lead to the result envisioned.

If that happens, the specific way to make those changes can be looked up. That's only technique.

Like in my field of medicine, it's not really what you know already and how good you are at technique (though that makes you faster). The key is in recognizing what is happening, identifying and learning what you don't know. Then deciding how you can intervene is the straightforward part. (Although like in Photoshop, there are usually several ways to do so.)

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

pdavitt Gold Member Nikonian since 26th May 2013Tue 01-Apr-14 11:27 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Leraning New Software is the Easy Part"
In response to Reply # 1

Fort Davis, US

Robb,

Thanks for your comment. I thought this post would generate more discussion. Oh well, maybe I just stated the obvious.

Pat

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Wed 02-Apr-14 01:16 AM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Leraning New Software is the Easy Part"
In response to Reply # 0

Hayes, US

I've been in the software biz 30 years and the folks that really do the best are not worried about how the application works (even when it does not) but get more done because they understand what they need to get done. It's always the bigger picture that determines success.

It's the brain behind the machine that makes the real magic! The tools really are better now than ever before no matter what you use. Just because it's not the same does not make it worse if you know where you want to go. Photography has ALWAYS been on the leading edge of technology since it was invented.

Change isn't always easy for a lot of people either. It can take some getting used to until you figure out the important parts are really still the same. The important skills you learn over time are not about the technology. You just need to learn new stuff all the time. The people side of this whole process is more complicated than the technology.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 02-Apr-14 03:37 AM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Leraning New Software is the Easy Part"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Pat you will get no argument from me as I have always held this view. No matter what post processor or work flow you use, the tools available to you determine how you will address the "WHAT" is necessary to bring out the best of an image. Too many people get balled up in the tools and don't have a plan on how they will proceed. That is a recipe for disaster. What CNX2 did for its users was provide an easy interface that allowed them to make the necessary "WHAT" changes in a very controlled manner while not requiring them to learn layers and masking as CNX2 hid that from you unless you asked to see it at work. I have always said that it is the Process that is important. If your process is correct you can do it with any tool you have available. I learned Photoshop long before I learned how to use CNX2. I wanted to stay in the NEF and I wanted to be able to apply all my camera setting to my starting image, and that is why I used CNX2. In PS I was more of a student of Dan Margulis, whose processes really didn't require that you had the latest version of Photoshop. It is from him that I learned the WHY rather than the HOW of so many mindless cookbook Photoshop books. If you understand the BASICS of WHAT and WHY the rest is easy. I can usually look at an image and know exactly what I want to do to it to make it better. Sometimes the answer is absolutely nothing.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Thu 03-Apr-14 04:02 AM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Leraning New Software is the Easy Part"
In response to Reply # 0

Campo, US

Pat as long as you have your current camera and not buying a new one you should be able to use Capture NX2 for a long time and not change software at all. Just keep the latest version in case you need to reinstall it.

Just my thought,
Bill

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 03-Apr-14 11:34 AM
2940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Learning New Software is the Easy Part"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

I would also add, losing all those edits, (unless they were tiffs), is a huge problem
Applying individual adjustments to thousands of images can be gigantic task, leave alone the cataloguing nightmare to follow
Other than all those "old" images,
I agree with your 1-5 list, pretty much spot on, its just "getting there" is the long haul
....Gary

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Thu 03-Apr-14 11:52 AM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Learning New Software is the Easy Part"
In response to Reply # 6

Rambouillet, FR

Just for the sake of an argument, I would say "Yes and No". There is an interface between Nikon cameras and CNX2 that will be lost, and that is what most are lamenting. All of those little tweaks we learned to program into our cameras so that they would be imbedded at capture in the NEF file would become useless. This isn't really about having to learn a different software's tools, it's about losing an "advantage" for a Nikon user when using CNX2, not counting some of the CNX2 specific tools which aren't available in other post-processing softwares.

At present I use both CNX2 and DxO Optics Pro 9. There are many things I like about DxO as a RAW convertor, but I also recognize that I might as well turn all the camera picture control settings to "off" or "neutral" when using DxO, since it doesn't read any of the camera adjusted tweaks.

That is what I will miss.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11990 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.