Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11923
View in linear mode

Subject: "Trying to use Capture NX-D..." Previous topic | Next topic
jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 17-Mar-14 12:36 PM
3633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Trying to use Capture NX-D..."

Simsbury, US

...and not exactly enjoying the experience. You can get nice results fairly quickly with RAW conversion going through the adjustments in the right panel. But beyond that the program is pretty clunky with some odd choices by the programmers. I realize this is a beta and presumably Version 1 will be better. But...

There's no way that I can see to save an NEF. This may be my failing, but it's not obvious to me. I see the sidecar files in the RAW folder, but what if you want separate versions? In one instance I accidentally clicked on "Original" in a drop down list and it reverted to the original. The sidecar file is still there but I don't see a way to connect it to get my edits back.

Try converting an edited D800 RAW file to a jpg. It takes forever. It gets to about 25% on the progress bar and sits there... The first time I tried it I thought it crashed but it eventually finished. This is just unacceptable for handling any volume whatsoever. If you were to do a batch conversion, you'd have to set it up and go have dinner and hope it finishes before you return.

If you want to export a tiff or jpg to do further adjustments in another program, the Preferences has you designate one folder to store all your exported tiffs and jpgs. By what logic would you conclude that a user would want all the tiffs and jpgs from every shoot of every subject in a single folder? Of course you can always move it to another folder but that's an unnecessary extra step.

There are a few other things but these are enough to make it a nonstarter for me. Perhaps Version 1 will fix these things. Only time will tell. I assume it will be free and if so I may download it in case I would want to use it occasionally, but it would never be part of my normal workflow in it's present form. If I'm mistaken about anything here I'll gladly stand corrected.

John

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D...
Chris Platt Silver Member
17th Mar 2014
robsb Platinum Member
18th Mar 2014
18th Mar 2014
jtmcg Gold Member
18th Mar 2014
Gromit44
07th Apr 2014
26th Mar 2014
jtmcg Gold Member
26th Mar 2014
robsb Platinum Member
18th Mar 2014
jtmcg Gold Member
18th Mar 2014
mklass Platinum Member
18th Mar 2014
jtmcg Gold Member
18th Mar 2014
robsb Platinum Member
18th Mar 2014
jtmcg Gold Member
18th Mar 2014
mklass Platinum Member
18th Mar 2014
jtmcg Gold Member
18th Mar 2014
jim_hughes
18th Mar 2014
jtmcg Gold Member
26th Mar 2014
drjh68 Silver Member
28th Mar 2014
mklass Platinum Member
28th Mar 2014
James23p Moderator
07th Apr 2014
Gromit44
07th Apr 2014

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 17-Mar-14 04:06 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

I gave it a try. Up to this point, I've considered Silky Pix the worst raw converter out there; not anymore. Maybe Nikon was caught flat-footed and had to rush this thing out the door WELL before it was ready, and they have a much more mature, intuitive, and feature rich product in mind. I hope so, because a company that produces such spectacular technology shouldn't embarrass themselves by packing a product like this with their cameras.

Visit my gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 18-Mar-14 01:41 AM
12744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

I thought this was based on Silky Pix.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Tue 18-Mar-14 03:26 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 3

Newburg, US

Not surprising. My first reaction was that if felt like a Silky Pix environment - a cumbersome interface to work with IMO. Maybe improvements in the Nikon version will find their way back into Silky Pix as well.

Visit my gallery.

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 18-Mar-14 03:32 PM
3633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 8

Simsbury, US

Nikon Rumors also noted the resemblance to Silky Pix...

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/17/nikon-capture-nx-d-additional-coverage.aspx/#more-72992

John

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Mon 07-Apr-14 01:25 PM
665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 07-Apr-14 01:26 PM by Gromit44

GB

>Nikon Rumors also noted the resemblance to Silky Pix... http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/17/nikon-capture-nx-d-additional-coverage.aspx/#more-72992

So did Thom Hogan - http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/capture-nx-d-announced.html

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Wed 26-Mar-14 01:30 PM
#14. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 8

Newburg, US

I'm popping back in to temper my ungenerous comments about Silkypix. I spent the weekend in Chicago and took my Panasonic GF2 with just the 20mm lens because I wanted to travel light.

That camera tends to have odd color casts that emphasize the blue channel, and I've always had difficulty getting what I consider a natural color look from either LR/ACR, Aperture, or Photo Ninja. It takes a lot of work to get something satisfying.

In desperation, I downloaded a trial of the latest Silkypix version for the Mac. Silkypix is the editor shipped with the Panasonic products. Although I found the interface still somewhat difficult to work with, it had plenty of features, but, more importantly, it rendered the colors naturally and effortlessly.

It did grind along slowly compared to Aperture and LR, but I couldn't argue with the results. If NX-D is indeed produced by Silkypix, there is some hope for it down the road.

Visit my gallery.

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 26-Mar-14 02:06 PM
#15. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 14

Simsbury, US

Nikon Rumors dug in to CNX-D and found a connection to Silkypix.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/24/yes-the-new-nikon-nx-d-software-is-made-by-silkypix.aspx/

I do like the NEF RAW conversion that I got with CNX-D and will probably download it if it's free. The other issues I have with it make it too frustrating for me to use as a regular part of my workflow unless Version 1 fixes them.

John

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 18-Mar-14 01:40 AM
12744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I hope you gave feed back. I have not tested to the extent you have, but I sent a bunch of negative input. They really have to fix this or no one will ever use it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 18-Mar-14 10:53 AM
#5. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 2

Simsbury, US

Hi Bob,

Yes I did give feedback, on these and other issues. One issue I didn't mention in this post (but did in my feedback) is its inability to recognize the CNX2 edits. If you have to start all over again with your old files anyway, it increases the likelihood that you'll look around at other programs.

John

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 18-Mar-14 09:49 AM
5910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 18-Mar-14 10:12 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

I've been working with CNX-D a little more, and while it still needs refinement, especially performance improvements, it isn't totally bad.

The preference that you set for where to store TIFs only applies to the TIFs automatically created for the "Open with Application" command. (CNX2 placed these automatically in the same folder as the original file.) CNX-D is an improvement over CNX2 in this regard as you can specify more that one application for Open with.

When you convert to JPG or TIFF, the dialog allows you to specify the file location using the standard O/S method.

Your edits are saved in the side car as you go along, so there is no need to save the NEF, it is never touched. Being able to create a copy and do some minimal file management would be useful, but you can duplicate the NEF with a file manager easily enough, but you can also copy an image to another folder while in CNX-D by holding the CTRL key (in Windows) while you drag the thumbnail to another folder. That's standard Windows behavior

If you look at CNX-D as a raw converter only, not a full fledged image editor, it works pretty well. Compared to ACR it has the advantage of accessing the camera settings and options, so, in that regard, it may give you a head start in getting your photos how you want them.

Still not crazy about the sidecar system, though. And it does need a spot removal tool and a few other features. However, this might turn out to be a decent gateway from a raw file to a pixel level editor which is pretty much what ACR is without the ability to use the camera settings.

Mick
Web Site: http://www.mickklassphoto.com
Online gallery: http://mickklass.gallery
My nikonians gallery

Puget Sound Chapter Coordinator
Visit Our Gallery

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 18-Mar-14 11:12 AM
#6. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 4

Simsbury, US

>I've been working with CNX-D a little more, and while it
>still needs refinement, especially performance improvements,
>it isn't totally bad.

I agree it isn't totally bad, in fact I like the results of the RAW conversion.

>The preference that you set for where to store TIFs only
>applies to the TIFs automatically created for the "Open
>with Application" command. (CNX2 placed these
>automatically in the same folder as the original file.) CNX-D
>is an improvement over CNX2 in this regard as you can specify
>more that one application for Open with.

I agree that being able to specify more then one application for Open with is an improvement. Allowing only one location for the generated TIF file however makes no logical sense.

>When you convert to JPG or TIFF, the dialog allows you to
>specify the file location using the standard O/S method.

This is true, but it is glacially slow.

>Your edits are saved in the side car as you go along, so there
>is no need to save the NEF, it is never touched. Being able to
>create a copy and do some minimal file management would be
>useful, but you can duplicate the NEF with a file manager
>easily enough, but you can also copy an image to another
>folder while in CNX-D by holding the CTRL key (in Windows)
>while you drag the thumbnail to another folder. That's
>standard Windows behavior

True but "to another folder" is not that useful as far as I'm concerned for my file management system. Also one of the strengths of CNX2 is the ability to see all the edit steps in the Edit List. Easier to work with if you want to go back and redo.

>If you look at CNX-D as a raw converter only, not a full
>fledged image editor, it works pretty well. Compared to ACR it
>has the advantage of accessing the camera settings and
>options, so, in that regard, it may give you a head start in
>getting your photos how you want them.

I agree that it works well as a RAW converter and I'll wait to see what Version 1 looks like but some of the issues I've encountered would make it hard to work with at best and possibly unusable, at least to me.

>Still not crazy about the sidecar system, though. And it does
>need a spot removal tool and a few other features. However,
>this might turn out to be a decent gateway from a raw file to
>a pixel level editor which is pretty much what ACR is without
>the ability to use the camera settings.

Agreed. Don't like the sidecars and more features (at least some of the CNX2 capability) would make it more attractive.
>
>Mick
>Web Site: http://www.mickklassphoto.com
>Online gallery: http://mickklass.gallery
>My
>nikonians gallery>
>
>Puget Sound Chapter Coordinator
>
Visit
>Our Gallery>

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 18-Mar-14 01:56 PM
#7. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

If all it did was convert the RAW file to a baked TIFF that would be fine with me. That is how I used CNX before CNX2 came available. This would allow me to then go into Photoshop and that way I have future proofed my copy of CS6 as it would not rely on ACR updates. If they don't fix the major problems, then I might just use ACR as the front end as I can use it fairly quickly. In any case we are never going to get back our edits in a NEF and all the other cool features of CNX2 unless we decide to just keep using it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 18-Mar-14 03:46 PM
#10. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 7

Simsbury, US

Jason Odell's take on CNX-D...

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2014/02/25/nikon-capture-nx-d-the-end-of-capture-nx-as-we-know-it/

and

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2014/02/27/a-few-more-thoughts-on-nikon-capture-nx-d/

Basically he thinks it sucks. He switched to LR in 2012, probably had some insight into where Nikon was going with CNX. Proprietary sidecars that can't be read by other programs. The reasons to give up on CNX continue to mount. I don't think the final release will be attractive enough to prevent wholesale abandonment. If it's free I'll probably download it and try it but I'm probably headed (reluctantly) to LR.

John

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 18-Mar-14 03:59 PM
5910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 10

Tacoma, US

Jason and Rick Walker are heavy proponents of LR, and have been for several years. If you like and want to use the LR system, that's fine (the LR catelog is just as proprietary as the CNX-D sidecar system, so once you start, you're locked in for the most part.)

If you're looking for alternatives to LR, you'll probably need to keep up with reports here.

So far, I see several advantages to using CNX-D over ACR, mainly in terms of access to Nikon camera settings and the ability to manipulate them. Many of other edits could be done using the Nik Collection (including control points) and Perfect Photo Suite as standalone apps. Keywording, tagging and file management can be done quickly in Photo Mechanic, which I think is faster than LR, and stores the info in the file itself so you are not stuck with the LR catalog or sidecars except for the initial CNX-D edits.

Mick
My nikonians gallery

Visit Our Gallery

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 18-Mar-14 05:35 PM
#12. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 11

Simsbury, US

I'll have to see what the final product looks like. Who knows maybe Nikon can pull a rabbit out of a hat and fix some of the problems that I have in using CNX-D. I see some advantages to CNX-D also but at this time the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for my work flow.

Since I have a D800 and a D300 and W8.1 on my computer, I can manage for a while and can take some time to look around.

John

jim_hughes Registered since 28th Feb 2014Tue 18-Mar-14 08:03 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 12

US

IMHO, no rabbit is going to appear. NX-D is what it is and is not going to be enhanced in the future.

I've already moved on - I'm now a Lightroom user.

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 26-Mar-14 02:10 PM
#16. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 13

Simsbury, US

Probably true Jim, it's pretty clunky as it is, but I'll give it a shot if it's free. In any event it looks like it will be basically a RAW converter and nothing else, so another program will be needed.

John

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Fri 28-Mar-14 03:58 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 16

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

If CNX2 goes, and Capture NXD flops, and Nikon give up editing programmes,surely that will have a very adverse effect on camera sales? If Nikon cameras continue to use NEF, it must also mean that we are obliged to convert them first to, say, tiffs before using them on some other existing editing programme? Am I being unduly pessimistic? Having recently bought a D800, I am not pleased at the prospect.

Depressed,

James
Suffolk, UK

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 28-Mar-14 04:20 PM
#18. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 17

Tacoma, US

I think you are being unduly pessimistic in the sense that Nikon will provide a raw converter. It just may not be a converter that we prefer.

CNX was always an extra cost program. You could use ViewNX for free and do some basic stuff. CNX-D will probably fill that function with a few more capabilities than VNX (but not as many as CNX).

All camera manufacturers provide some form of raw converter. Most are rudimentary. Nikon was alone in providing something as robust as CNX. I guess they see no reason to continue to do that. Like the other manufacturers, the seem content now to let their customers that want a complete conversion/editing package to rely on adobe, Capture One, ACDCEE, and others for all of their post processing needs.

To my mind, that makes many of the in-camera features useless, as the 3rd party apps ignore them and use their own features. At that point, cameras become much more generic, and the lenses may be all that binds us to a manufacturer.

Mick
My nikonians gallery

Visit Our Gallery

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Mon 07-Apr-14 02:23 PM
9595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 18

Memphis, US

I agree with Mick Nikon will always provide a RAW convertor it is just how advanced and how much functionality will it have. We were very spoiled with CNX2 and how it worked. I am really having a good time learning Lightroom and Photoshop but CNX2 was in its own league in how it worked. In the end I think this had more to do with Google gobbling up Nik and the cost of maintaining/upgrading CNX2 than anything else.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Mon 07-Apr-14 04:54 PM
665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D..."
In response to Reply # 20
Mon 07-Apr-14 04:55 PM by Gromit44

GB

Nice of Nikon to charge for Capture NX2 then dump everyone who bought it in the lurch. Personally, I'm disgusted with them.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.