nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jtmcg

Simsbury, US
4218 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Mon 17-Mar-14 12:36 PM

...and not exactly enjoying the experience. You can get nice results fairly quickly with RAW conversion going through the adjustments in the right panel. But beyond that the program is pretty clunky with some odd choices by the programmers. I realize this is a beta and presumably Version 1 will be better. But...

There's no way that I can see to save an NEF. This may be my failing, but it's not obvious to me. I see the sidecar files in the RAW folder, but what if you want separate versions? In one instance I accidentally clicked on "Original" in a drop down list and it reverted to the original. The sidecar file is still there but I don't see a way to connect it to get my edits back.

Try converting an edited D800 RAW file to a jpg. It takes forever. It gets to about 25% on the progress bar and sits there... The first time I tried it I thought it crashed but it eventually finished. This is just unacceptable for handling any volume whatsoever. If you were to do a batch conversion, you'd have to set it up and go have dinner and hope it finishes before you return.

If you want to export a tiff or jpg to do further adjustments in another program, the Preferences has you designate one folder to store all your exported tiffs and jpgs. By what logic would you conclude that a user would want all the tiffs and jpgs from every shoot of every subject in a single folder? Of course you can always move it to another folder but that's an unnecessary extra step.

There are a few other things but these are enough to make it a nonstarter for me. Perhaps Version 1 will fix these things. Only time will tell. I assume it will be free and if so I may download it in case I would want to use it occasionally, but it would never be part of my normal workflow in it's present form. If I'm mistaken about anything here I'll gladly stand corrected.

John

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Trying to use Capture NX-D...

G