Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11775
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 leaves orphaned images?" Previous topic | Next topic
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sun 09-Mar-14 04:35 PM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 leaves orphaned images?"
Sun 09-Mar-14 05:14 PM by William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR

I do not read everything there is to read out there concerning Capture NX2 software, but one post seemed to imply that "one day it works, one day it won't work any longer". Is this the case?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

hidesert Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2012Sun 09-Mar-14 04:50 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 leaves orphaned images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lacey, US

The only thing I know is that Nikon has activation servers which validate your software when you enter a serial number. If they ever take these servers off-line it may be impossible to install your software.

Adobe addressed this problem with its older software and I hope Nikon does the same.

Allan

Nikon F6, F100, F4s, FM2N, D80, D7100

Rollei TLR's are my other passion!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 09-Mar-14 05:37 PM
12856 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 leaves orphaned images?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Mar-14 05:39 PM by robsb

San Jose, US

The only thing we know for sure is that Nikon will no longer update CNX2 once NX-D is released. If you look at their FQ's they are considering making NX-D able to read CNX2 files. The rest is speculation about the ability of CNX2 to run on future OS's. What we know for sure is that going forward Nikon RAW processors will no longer support U-Point and they will not support storing edit steps in the NEF like CNX2 does now. If you don't add new cameras or change your OS after CNX-D is released you will have no problems using CNX2. Otherwise the rest is unknown. What we do know is with CNX-D you will still be able to do global edits with your NEFs and those edits will be stored in a side car. We also know all your existing NEFs would open in Adobe products but your CNX2 edits would not be seen nor would your camera settings be seen in those products. So the best way to future proof your CNX2 files is to save a 16 bit TIFF to bake in your edits.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 10-Mar-14 11:29 AM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 leaves orphaned images?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>> one post seemed to imply that "one day it works, one day it won't work any longer". Is this the case?

No one knows the future. The potential problem with the activation server was mentioned.

There is also the issue of compatibility with .net and how your machine is configured. While that potential impact is unknown, it is my recollection that from time to time people have reported here that older versions of Capture were no longer working, and the solution was to upgrade to the current version. That solution, of course, will no longer be possible. So I think it is safe to assume that eventually CNX2 will or may not function with currently configured Windows machines.

The future is unknown and unknowable but I think it is safe to assume that there is a significant risk that some day CNX2 will no longer work on your machine.

Now consider that when or if that happens, you are out of business until you migrate to another raw rendering app. And you have to consider if you want to be forced into that situation, and how long it will take to make a good informed decision where you want to go, and get up to speed.

Personally I want to do that on my own terms. Not on some random day when my software no longer works, or my motherboard dies and I have to move to a new machine whose configuration will not accommodate a now old and very out of date software app.

If you consider using NX-D, you should also consider that any ratings and color classes you define are not currently readable by any other software, and I suspect it is very unlikely other apps ever will...

Nikon has a long history of getting dragged, slowly and kicking and screaming, into the world at large. Simple things like ratings and color classes were initially proprietary, and finally with CNX2 were at least put into XMP format that could be read by other apps.

Now Nikon is starting that whole process over at ground zero, totally incompatible with anything else in a world where interoperability is priority one, not something to think about if or when NX-D V2 or V3 comes along. They never learn, and never bother to think things through.

Lots of reasons to abandon critical software that is designed around proprietary formats and architecture by a software vendor not terribly concerned about continuity and preservation of effort.

my Nikonians gallery.

jim_hughes Registered since 28th Feb 2014Mon 10-Mar-14 08:48 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 leaves orphaned images?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm just speculating like everyone else, but I assume that when they say support is ending, that includes all forms of support, and at some point new installations may not be possible.

It's a really rotten decision that hurts Nikon's image.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11775 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.