nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dm1dave

Lowden, US
12383 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sun 09-Mar-14 01:21 AM

As much as I hate to see the loss of support for CNX2, I can see some benefit (for me) to this abrupt change.

Finding a new program has brought me out of a post processing rut. It is causing me to dig into aspects of post processing that I have been ignoring. Using CNX2, without any significant updates, for so long has made me complacent, running a routine of the same series of steps over and over.

Setting up a catalog has forced me into the long neglected task of adding keywords to my images. Most are wildlife, so, I kept it simple with just the species names. It took me a few days, a couple of hours at a time, to do about 16,000 images.

While adding the key words I found quite a bit of bloat in my image collection. Some of the images were even marked for deletion but I never got back to the folder to purge the files. So, I plan to go a big image purging run over the next month or so while my shooting opportunities are slim.

Even though I am losing a couple of important tools from CNX2, mostly the control points, I am finding many other tools that are much better implemented in Lightroom – like the spot removal (healing/cloning) tool, the tone curve adjustments, sharpening, ect. So far, it looks like I am gaining more than I have lost.

In the long run, I think this change is going to improve my post processing.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"
My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on image to view larger version

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports |Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2015

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: On the bright side