Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11756
View in linear mode

Subject: "On the bright side" Previous topic | Next topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 09-Mar-14 01:21 AM
11438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"On the bright side"

Lowden, US

As much as I hate to see the loss of support for CNX2, I can see some benefit (for me) to this abrupt change.

Finding a new program has brought me out of a post processing rut. It is causing me to dig into aspects of post processing that I have been ignoring. Using CNX2, without any significant updates, for so long has made me complacent, running a routine of the same series of steps over and over.

Setting up a catalog has forced me into the long neglected task of adding keywords to my images. Most are wildlife, so, I kept it simple with just the species names. It took me a few days, a couple of hours at a time, to do about 16,000 images.

While adding the key words I found quite a bit of bloat in my image collection. Some of the images were even marked for deletion but I never got back to the folder to purge the files. So, I plan to go a big image purging run over the next month or so while my shooting opportunities are slim.

Even though I am losing a couple of important tools from CNX2, mostly the control points, I am finding many other tools that are much better implemented in Lightroom – like the spot removal (healing/cloning) tool, the tone curve adjustments, sharpening, ect. So far, it looks like I am gaining more than I have lost.

In the long run, I think this change is going to improve my post processing.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: On the bright side
robsb Platinum Member
09th Mar 2014
dm1dave Administrator
09th Mar 2014
expat Silver Member
09th Mar 2014
nrothschild Silver Member
09th Mar 2014
nrothschild Silver Member
09th Mar 2014
dm1dave Administrator
09th Mar 2014
James23p Moderator
09th Mar 2014
Just Clickin Gold Member
09th Mar 2014
jbloom Gold Member
10th Mar 2014
jrp Administrator
10th Mar 2014
SRFast Silver Member
10th Mar 2014
jrp Administrator
12th Mar 2014
dm1dave Administrator
10th Mar 2014
JonK Moderator
10th Mar 2014
dm1dave Administrator
11th Mar 2014
James23p Moderator
11th Mar 2014
F2AS
15th Mar 2014
Chris Platt Silver Member
15th Mar 2014

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 09-Mar-14 06:20 AM
12764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Dave I wish you luck. I am sticking with my Nikon RAW front end with trips to PS as needed as I already know both.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 09-Mar-14 07:05 PM
11438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

Thanks, Rob.

There is no right or wrong way to approach this. You process will work as well as any.

I really appreciate all of the valuable information that you have added to the discussion.

I hope that my post can help some see past the "doom and gloom" surrounding the pending transition away from CNX2.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 09-Mar-14 08:27 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 0

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

>As much as I hate to see the loss of support for CNX2, I can
>see some benefit (for me) to this abrupt change.
>
>Finding a new program has brought me out of a post processing
>rut. It is causing me to dig into aspects of post processing
>that I have been ignoring. Using CNX2, without any
>significant updates, for so long has made me complacent,
>running a routine of the same series of steps over and over.
>
>Setting up a catalog has forced me into the long neglected
>task of adding keywords to my images. Most are wildlife, so,
>I kept it simple with just the species names. It took me a
>few days, a couple of hours at a time, to do about 16,000
>images.
>
>While adding the key words I found quite a bit of bloat in my
>image collection. Some of the images were even marked for
>deletion but I never got back to the folder to purge the
>files. So, I plan to go a big image purging run over the
>next month or so while my shooting opportunities are slim.
>
>Even though I am losing a couple of important tools from CNX2,
>mostly the control points, I am finding many other tools that
>are much better implemented in Lightroom – like the spot
>removal (healing/cloning) tool, the tone curve adjustments,
>sharpening, ect. So far, it looks like I am gaining more than
>I have lost.
>
>In the long run, I think this change is going to improve my
>post processing.
>
Some weeks into LR5 the one thing I miss would have seemed very minor pre LR but I still flick back to NX2 for the ability to see the focus point.
After an airshow I wanted to really analyze where & what the camera had focussed on particular in formation flights with nine aircraft in close formation as I was experimenting with focus modes and VR.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 09-Mar-14 07:41 PM
10910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>> but I still flick back to NX2 for the ability to see the focus point.

I am planning on using ViewNX for that, in order to avoid rendering (much faster). Also better in the event I am studying a long run of images, which is often the case.

my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 09-Mar-14 09:13 AM
10910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've found that when reviewing all the images I have shot of a species, at the same time, via cataloged species names, that I gain a better perspective on what to delete.

I also find interesting things in terms of species behavior and appearance, and what is and isn't "unusual". Cataloging is very worthwhile.

You might also consider keywording by site (basically What and Where). And it should be fast if your folder structure is by date and maybe site. Some day you may want to be able to review all the images of a certain species at a certain site.

I do a lot of listing, and listing is done primarily by county and state, as well as site. So my Where keywording is hierarchical, like this:

Where.USA.{state}.{county}.{site}.

Might be overkill for most people but it allows me to figure out what I've shot at any particular site, county and state.

I agree with the rut thing, and it has also caused me to reevaluate certain aspects of my workflow, like my file naming. For various reasons I am going to abandon my neverending sequential number in favor of Date-Time, including subseconds. The subseconds part Lightroom does not deal with, so I need to continue doing my ingest with Photomechanic.

my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 09-Mar-14 06:57 PM
#4. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 09-Mar-14 07:07 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Yes, I am using some location info for non local critters or anything that is unusual or rare locally.

I am keeping up my basic windows file folder structure so that I can navigate folders outside of the catalogue data base.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sun 09-Mar-14 07:25 PM
9608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 10-Mar-14 04:04 PM by James23p

Memphis, US

Dave I am so with you on this. For years I uploaded in ViewNX2 and culled out bad shots, then edit in pretty much the same way every time in CNX2. I got so comfortable that I hardly ever varied my thought process. With LightRoom I've learned presets, short cuts and key words etc. am I as good in LR as CNX2 not yet but the panic is over and I feel more at ease LR.

View and NX will stay on my computer for old edits and to see focus points and some other data but I am moving to a LR workflow.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009Sun 09-Mar-14 09:07 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 6

Pensacola, US

I will be staying with NX2 as long as possible. There is now new opportunity for a software developer...so time will tell.

Tom Wilby

http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com/

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 10-Mar-14 12:11 PM
6359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I've been through a similar process several times. As my archive of images has grown, I needed more efficient ways of managing it. A system that was appropriate for a few hundred images was inadequate for a few thousand, which was in turn inadequate for tens of thousands. My workflow, too, has benefited from changing to more efficient tools. I think those who are being forced, or encouraged, anyway, to switch from their existing system should follow Dave's example and reevaluate their approach. Maybe a change won't be useful for some people, but it's worth taking the opportunity to rethink things.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 10-Mar-14 05:19 PM
34542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 12-Mar-14 06:03 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

My incurable romantic side is pushing me to further try CNX-D.
My realistic side has me learning Photo Ninja (Great! by the way, more so with its integrated Noise Ninja) and testing again Adobe Lightroom, now with a more helpful interface and tooling than when it came out first.

I will come back to show a sample shot made last week in Monument Valley, marked for deletion until I processed it with Photo Ninja.

Update: here is the image, made on a D700, 14-24mm f/2.8G AF-S @ 24mm, f/5.6, 6 seconds, ISO 3200, on a MAGICA 3.3 camera support system (Gitzo GT3531 + Markins TH-300 hub replacement + Q20i ball head)

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Mon 10-Mar-14 06:25 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 10

New York City, US

I am staying with Nikon ViewNX2 and Capture NX2. The two apps work with the cameras I own and I don't intend to replace them anytime soon. Even if I upgrade to a D4/4S in the next year or two, CNX2 will support it. CNX2 2.4.6 is fairly "new" and I am satisfied with the tools it provides. BTW, I like the fact I don't have to create catalogs with the Nikon software.

JRP,
I got curious and installed NX-D on Sunday. I was happy to see it allowed me to increase exposure comp up to +5, but very surprised it doesn't have a Red Eye correction function. I will continue to evaluate it before passing judgment.

Regards....JL

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 12-Mar-14 06:15 AM
34542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed 12-Mar-14 09:05 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

> JRP,
> I got curious and installed NX-D on Sunday.
> I was happy to see it allowed me to increase exposure comp up to +5, but very surprised it doesn't have a Red Eye correction function.
> I will continue to evaluate it before passing judgment.

Interesting, JL
I never have a problem with Red eye but will also check it.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 10-Mar-14 07:20 PM
#12. "RE: On the bright side"

Lowden, US

The first time I tried Lightroom, version 1, I really didn’t like it. The current version is impressive.

I suspect that CNX-D will be a fine RAW converter if you don’t need to do local edits. It will also work great for those who want to ship a TIFF into Photoshop for local editing. I do a fair amount of local edits and would like to take the images as fare as possible without creating a TIFF. I may put CNX-D on my laptop and use it for quick processing when I am away from home.

I will have to give Photo Ninja a try.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Mon 10-Mar-14 10:56 PM
4641 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 12

New York, US

Dave, have you played with the Graduated Filter and Radial Filter yet? Talk about local adjustments…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 11-Mar-14 12:17 AM
#14. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 13

Lowden, US

Yes ... and the adjustment brush.

The more I watch videos and experiment, especially with masking, the better I like the program.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 11-Mar-14 12:26 AM
9608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue 11-Mar-14 12:27 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

Same here been watching tons of Lightroom videos the local adjustments are excellent and I might even go as far as say more advanced than NX2.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Sat 15-Mar-14 04:29 PM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: On the bright side"
In response to Reply # 12

Washington, US

>The first time I tried Lightroom, version 1, I really didn’t
>like it. The current version is impressive.
>
>I suspect that CNX-D will be a fine RAW converter if you don’t
>need to do local edits. It will also work great for those who
>want to ship a TIFF into Photoshop for local editing. I do a
>fair amount of local edits and would like to take the images
>as fare as possible without creating a TIFF. I may put CNX-D
>on my laptop and use it for quick processing when I am away
>from home.
>
>I will have to give Photo Ninja a try.
>

The first time I tried it I didn't like it either. It may be because I had downloaded it as a trial and really didn't take it serious enough to really learn what it could do. I've been using it now for the past two weeks and have beeen very impressed.

Mike

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sat 15-Mar-14 07:04 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: On the bright side"

Newburg, US

Photo Ninja has become an indispensable tool for me. I import/catalog with LR and use LR to inspect and cull images. Depending on the subject matter, I may develop in LR as well. However, if the subject is wildlife, especially birds, I go right to Photo Ninja for processing. It lacks a lot of tools, but it's astonishing how easily and how well it pulls detail out of an image.

Visit my gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11756 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.