nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #11688
View in linear mode

Subject: "Alternative to CNX2 white and black control points?" Previous topic | Next topic
Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Tue 04-Mar-14 12:22 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Alternative to CNX2 white and black control points?"

This is the wheelhouse of my photo editing. I do it right after NR. I seldom need to touch WB, exposure or worry about colour casts if I use this. I set black to zero, white to 250 and often reduce luminance on the White Point (down to about 98%). I'd like to know where else to find this level of control?

Jim

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Alternative to CNX2 white and black control points? robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Mar 2014
Reply message Yes, it's everywhere and nowhere Bob... Jim Pearce Silver Member
04th Mar 2014
     Reply message RE: Yes, it's everywhere and nowhere Bob... robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Mar 2014
          Reply message Now, I'm getting somewhere... Jim Pearce Silver Member
12th Mar 2014
               Reply message RE: Now, I'm getting somewhere... jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Mar 2014

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Tue 04-Mar-14 03:27 AM
13707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Alternative to CNX2 white and black control points?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jim it is in every product I have ever used. In many cases you will find it in with the curves adjustment.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Tue 04-Mar-14 03:46 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Yes, it's everywhere and nowhere Bob..."
In response to Reply # 1

I can ballpark it in Photoshop CC using a threshold layer and colour sampler and then Curves or Levels. I'm not getting anywhere near the precision I got with CNX2.

Jim

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Tue 04-Mar-14 07:17 AM
13707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Yes, it's everywhere and nowhere Bob..."
In response to Reply # 2

In ACR you use the black and white sliders when not in ACR you can use the black and white eye droppers in the curves or levels module. The key is once you select a dropper. hold down the ALT key and it will show you the clipped image for that color to help you select.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Wed 12-Mar-14 03:01 AM
#4. "Now, I'm getting somewhere..."
In response to Reply # 3

In ACR you can hold down shift and double-click the black and white sliders to apply the black and white points automatically. But I want to set the white point at (250,250, 250). Not sure how to do this in ACR. In Photoshop levels it is easy, but I can't confirm that ACR is using the same white point.

Jim

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Wethersfield, US  Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004 Wed 12-Mar-14 11:17 AM
7494 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Now, I'm getting somewhere..."
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 12-Mar-14 11:19 AM by jbloom

Jim, you can do that in ACR using a Point tone curve:

Just drag the upper-right point as shown. For greater precision type the values into the boxes at the bottom. You can do the same thing at the bottom if you want a black point other than 0.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Attachment #1, (gif file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #11688 Previous topic | Next topic