Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11685
View in linear mode

Subject: "A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images" Previous topic | Next topic
sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Mon 03-Mar-14 10:02 PM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"

Santa Fe, US

CNX2 2.4.6 crashes when it tries to load and update a D70 image that has been processed, probably with an earlier version of Capture. They definitely were not processed with a non-Nikon program.

It will open D70 files that have not been processed.

It's not a general problem with CNX2, because it works as expected with CNX2-processed D7000 files.

Nikon pulled support for the D70 from Camera Control awhile back, and announced that it had done so, but I didn't see any such announcement regarding CNX2.

So I can't save my edits on my D70 files to TIFF, and there's no point in converting to DNG, because the Adobe converter isn't going to see the edits done in Capture.

In short, I've lost the D70 image edits.

SantaFeBill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images
Just Clickin Gold Member
04th Mar 2014
sfbillm Silver Member
04th Mar 2014
Just Clickin Gold Member
05th Mar 2014
James23p Moderator
05th Mar 2014
SheriB Silver Member
05th Mar 2014
sfbillm Silver Member
05th Mar 2014
rbaskin Silver Member
06th Mar 2014
Ajjra Silver Member
09th Mar 2014
cliddell Silver Member
09th Mar 2014

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009Tue 04-Mar-14 12:21 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Pensacola, US

So I just opened some of my old D70 files, both processed and unprocessed. I did some editing and saved. No problems. These files were from 2005-2006.

Tom Wilby

http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com/

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Tue 04-Mar-14 01:43 AM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"
In response to Reply # 1

Santa Fe, US

>So I just opened some of my old D70 files, both processed and
>unprocessed. I did some editing and saved. No problems. These
>files were from 2005-2006.
>
>Tom Wilby
>
>http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com/

I assume you opened and processed them in CNX2. Please, which version number, and 32-bit or 64-bit? (Mine is 32-bit.)

If 2.4.6, then that means that this version of CNX2 is sensitive to the particular hw/sw environment to a greater degree. Not unusual, but given Nikon's having said that they are going to pull support for CNX2, it means that those of us who discover such problems won't have a fix.

Other than being an older P4 system, there's nothing unusual about my computer. And, so far at least, other processing programs - LR5, Photo Ninja, ACDSee Pro 7, DxO Pro, and so on run just fine.

SantaFeBill

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009Wed 05-Mar-14 12:49 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"
In response to Reply # 2

Pensacola, US

CNX 2.4.6, 64 bit, Win 7

Tom Wilby

http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com/

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 05-Mar-14 03:58 AM
9573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

I do not have a D70 but my fairly old D50 photos still work fine in the most recent CNX2.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 05-Mar-14 10:52 AM
1668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Could you open in ViewNX save as a Tiff?

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Wed 05-Mar-14 06:08 PM
#6. "RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"
In response to Reply # 5

Santa Fe, US

>Could you open in ViewNX save as a Tiff?

Thanks for the suggestion, but, no, VNX can't open NEFs that have been edited in Capture. It can only then use the embedded JPEG.

SantaFeBill

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Thu 06-Mar-14 01:26 AM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Ridgefield, US

I've opened D70s NEF files that were processed in both Capture NX1 and NX2 with no problems as well as files from my infrared converted D70.

Some of files were originally processed on a Windows XP 32 bit computer and some on a Windows 8 64 bit computer. I'm currently running NX2 2.4.6 on the Windows 8 machine with total file compatibility.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing or falling back to a previous version?

Ralph in CT

Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010Sun 09-Mar-14 11:03 AM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"
In response to Reply # 7

Brooklyn, US

This raises an interesting point. For those us of who have been shooting RAW for a long time and have our basic edits done in non-destructive RAW format, we may risk losing our edits if our RAW converter software drops support for our old cameras. I never considered this.

I wonder if it's prudent to go back and create TIFF's from my old shots.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sun 09-Mar-14 04:14 PM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: A Heads-up if you Still Have D70 Images"
In response to Reply # 8

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Yes it may be but I can say that I still have no problem working in any Nikon software with my ancient point and shoot - an E775 (about 10+ years old).

Of course raw images out of my D70s and D200 cameras have no problems in even the predecessors of VNX and CNX ie Nikon View and Nikon Capture. These must be well over 10 years old programs...

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11685 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.