nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.


Sign up Login
Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
alanbreck

US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alanbreck Registered since 29th Dec 2009
Thu 04-Feb-10 12:17 AM

I have found that if you want to shoot raw files on a Nikon, and after downloading and developing have them look like the JPEG image created on camera, you have to use Capture NX2 to develop. I have tried Lightroom 2 and Bibble 5, but neither can access the Nikon proprietary "special sauce" settings that the Nikon camera applies to the raw to make it look as intended.

I downloaded the 60 day full trial of Capture NX2, and now my raw files look 95% like what they do in the camera generated JPEG. The other 5% is mostly contrast, which I believe is due to the fact that the D5000 is a newer camera and that the Capture NX2 software does not have the D5000 firmware settings programmed in. I know that images compared between the D300/D90/D5000 all look different even with those cameras set up the same, and this is due largely in part to the image processing firmware on the camera (for instance the D5000 slightly out-paces the D300 in noise reduction at high ISO, but the D300 retains more detail, and the D90 images are more vivid than the D300 or the D5000, etc...).

Just wanted to know if anyone can either confirm or deny my theory, and if this is the case, are there any clues as to when the Capture NX2 software will be updated so that the raw image develop produces the same result as the on camera D5000 firmware.

jimrosengarth.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
1
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
2
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
3
          Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
4
               Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
5
                    Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
6
                         Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
7
                              Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
8
                                   Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
9

G