Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1120
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 and the D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
alanbreck Registered since 29th Dec 2009Thu 04-Feb-10 12:17 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 and the D5000"

US

I have found that if you want to shoot raw files on a Nikon, and after downloading and developing have them look like the JPEG image created on camera, you have to use Capture NX2 to develop. I have tried Lightroom 2 and Bibble 5, but neither can access the Nikon proprietary "special sauce" settings that the Nikon camera applies to the raw to make it look as intended.

I downloaded the 60 day full trial of Capture NX2, and now my raw files look 95% like what they do in the camera generated JPEG. The other 5% is mostly contrast, which I believe is due to the fact that the D5000 is a newer camera and that the Capture NX2 software does not have the D5000 firmware settings programmed in. I know that images compared between the D300/D90/D5000 all look different even with those cameras set up the same, and this is due largely in part to the image processing firmware on the camera (for instance the D5000 slightly out-paces the D300 in noise reduction at high ISO, but the D300 retains more detail, and the D90 images are more vivid than the D300 or the D5000, etc...).

Just wanted to know if anyone can either confirm or deny my theory, and if this is the case, are there any clues as to when the Capture NX2 software will be updated so that the raw image develop produces the same result as the on camera D5000 firmware.

jimrosengarth.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000
robsb Platinum Member
04th Feb 2010
alanbreck
04th Feb 2010
robsb Platinum Member
04th Feb 2010
alanbreck
04th Feb 2010
robsb Platinum Member
05th Feb 2010
cliddell Silver Member
05th Feb 2010
CTSean
09th Feb 2010
wesmontgomery
09th Feb 2010
robsb Platinum Member
10th Feb 2010

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 04-Feb-10 02:42 AM
12566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Make sure you are using the latest version of NX2 which is 2.2.4. I believe that version added support for the D5000. I don't think the trial version is the latest update. Your NX2 NEF image as opened should look exactly like the JPEG. All that is happening when you open the NEF is that all the camera settings you made, based upon htat particular model are applied to the NEf for display. In essence you are seeing the embedded jpeg that is in the RAW file. If you now make edits and save the NEF, the steps you made are saved in the file but not applied to the NEF but they are rendered in the embedded JPEG. Nikon created Picture Controls to make the various Nikon camera images look as much alike as possible.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

alanbreck Registered since 29th Dec 2009Thu 04-Feb-10 01:12 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

The trial version is 2.2.4, so it is the latest. If I set my camera to save NEF+Large JPEG, and open both in Capture NX2, they do NOT look the same. I have not changed any settings in Capture, so it should use the camera's settings to preview and develop, correct? Like I said, the difference isn't drastic (within 5%, although now I am noticing a slight color-shift to warm as well), but the camera produced JPEG definitely looks a little better. This tells me that Capture NX2 still falls short of developing the D5000 raw images exactly as the camera does. Nikon needs to fix this.

jimrosengarth.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 04-Feb-10 09:31 PM
12566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

It depends where you are viewing these iamges to compare them. If you use the NX2 Browser, it is not color managed. Try selecting both JPEG and NEF and doing a compare in NX2 and see if they are still not the same. Also to get the best comparison you should save your JPEG with the highest resolution and best quality. Remember the JPEG is 8 bit and the NEF is 12 or 14 bit. So the NEF may look slightly different, as it has the capability of showing finer graduations.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

alanbreck Registered since 29th Dec 2009Thu 04-Feb-10 11:45 PM
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Have and did. They are not the same. Conclusion: NX2 raw rendering/developing does not produce the same result as on-camera JPEG for the D5000. Again, I have touched NO settings in the NX2 environment. If there is anything I should try at this point I am open to suggestions. If nothing works, can/will Nikon fix it?

jimrosengarth.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 05-Feb-10 02:48 AM
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

I am out of suggestions unless your monitor is not calibrated, but even if it wasn't I would expect the images to look alike if you have not changed any of the camera settings. Oh one more thing to check, is your color spsce in camera the same as the default color space in NX2? I am about tapped out, maybe someone else besides me will chime in. I am still having trouble accepting your reslut, but have no reason to doubt you.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Fri 05-Feb-10 05:49 AM
992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000"
In response to Reply # 5

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I have not ever compared jpeg and nef files in CaptureNX2 but when I happen to include jpeg with raw "in camera" I almost can't tell the difference when I browse with ViewNX. If I look carefully there may be a slight "sharper" look to the raw image especially if the jpeg is set to the lowest setting.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

CTSean Registered since 15th Oct 2008Tue 09-Feb-10 03:41 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I'd recommend processing one of the "mismatched" NEF files to a JPG of similar quality as the in-camera one and uploading both here (or any other image sharing site) to show the differences you are talking about (assuming of course they remain mismatched after conversion). Please make sure the Exif data remains intact. Even a JPG still contains a fair amount of in-camera processing data that can be read when opened with NX2

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wesmontgomery Registered since 01st Feb 2010Tue 09-Feb-10 05:47 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Is your NX2 Colour management set to the same as your camera?

If your camera is set to sRGB then the JPEG will be sRGB.

If the NX2 CM is set to RGB then the RAW will open in that CM.

Hence the two versions will "possibly" look different?

Wes

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 10-Feb-10 03:53 AM
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 and the D5000"
In response to Reply # 8

San Jose, US

Wed thats what I suggested above but not as clearly.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #1120 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.