Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11069
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)" Previous topic | Next topic
spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Sun 08-Dec-13 04:09 PM
3059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"

Western PA, US

I print from NX2 to an Epson 3880. I print directly from NEF/RAW ProPhoto files.

Two questions:

Is it recommended to first change image DPI (or PPI, whatever it's called) from 300 to 360? If so, resample on or off?

Lastly, I use relatively strong sharpening in-camera (default Picture Controls + 1 or 2) and do add USM in the standard edit phase. Would you still recommend adding "High Pass" output sharpening for the final print?

Any insight into above would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dan
www.danielstainer.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)
mklass Platinum Member
09th Dec 2013
spiritualized67 Silver Member
09th Dec 2013
cmajor335
09th Dec 2013
09th Dec 2013
Rmastran Silver Member
10th Dec 2013
jagdpanther Silver Member
12th Dec 2013
ericbowles Moderator
09th Dec 2013
09th Dec 2013
gpoole Platinum Member
09th Dec 2013
09th Dec 2013
cmajor335
10th Dec 2013
Rmastran Silver Member
11th Dec 2013
Gromit44
19th Dec 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 09-Dec-13 03:14 AM
5573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Dan,

I also print NEF's from CXN2 to a 3880.

I do not bother to change the dpi or ppi setting, nor do I do extra sharpening for output. What I see on screen, using 50 -100% magnification (50% for D800e & d7100, 100% for D3 or 4) magnification seems to be a good guide.

I generally plan my image size for 300 dpi. If I am doing significant enlarging, I work on the jpg or tif in Perfect Resize. Otherwise, CNX does fine on resizing and I do have it resample, but sharpen afterward not before resizing.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 09-Dec-13 04:22 PM
3059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 1

Western PA, US

Thanks Mick. Given my sharpening in-camera and my sharpening during the standard edit phase, any output sharpening is probably mostly splitting hairs. I know some folks also swear by changing PPI settings to 360 or 720 to match Epson's ideal, but again, the differences are probably so negligible as to not be noticed unless you're looking through a 10x Loupe.

Appreciate the response.

-Dan

cmajor335 Registered since 29th Sep 2013Mon 09-Dec-13 07:00 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Hi Dan, it has always (that I have been told) to save at 300DPI for printing but having read most of Thom Hogan's book on NX2 that when printing to use 288dpi or 360 dpi as they multiply up directly to 1440 which I believe is the maximum resolution that most printers work at. As for 'Resampling' I have mine all set to resample.
I don't have any sharpening set 'In-Camera' I do all mine post production, with NX2 I click New Step and use Focus High Pass (Panel on right) set at radius of 1, the image goes grey but make sure your image is at 100%, then click 'Opacity' and take the slider down to around 85%, then open a New Step, click Focus again but this time click Unshrp Mask and set the Intensity slider to about 10 or less. I might tweak the 'Threshold' but that is about it and I find that that gives me great pictures for printing.

I hope this helps
Graham

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 09-Dec-13 04:24 PM
#5. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 2

Western PA, US

Thank you Graham.

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Tue 10-Dec-13 02:23 AM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 2

Carver, US

Thom Hogan's book on NX2? I wasn't able to locate that. What's the title?

Thanks,

Ralph

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jagdpanther Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2008Thu 12-Dec-13 04:09 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 9

Burbank, US

>Thom Hogan's book on NX2? I wasn't able to locate that.
>What's the title?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ralph

The two best 'books' on Nikon's CNX2 are

Mike Hagen's "Nikon Capture NX 2: After the shoot"
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Capture-NX-After-Shoot/dp/0470409266

and

Jason Odell's "The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2"
http://www.luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.html

Both are excellent and have sections on printing and sharpening. There is a lot of overlap, but both are worth reading if you are a CNX2 user.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 09-Dec-13 12:53 PM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 09-Dec-13 12:55 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

Hi Dan

Everyone has a slightly different workflow. While I use Capture NX2 for editing, I like the interface for printing better with CS6.

Your sharpening is pretty strong, and could easily create artifacts in image files. I find the in-camera sharpening a bit coarse, so I use a Standard picture control with no added sharpening or contrast. In post processing I use Tonal Contrast at a 35-45% opacity as one of my sharpening techniques, so my High Pass and UnSharp Mask sharpening are about 75% of what I used without Tonal Contrast. My sharpening is largely applied selectively - and not applied at all to skies, backgrounds, etc. noise or pixelation can be noticed.

While not critical, if you are trying to wring out every advantage, sizing to your specific print output with a 360 PPI setting best matches the printer and eliminates or reduces the need for interpolation. At 300 PPI, the printer will interpolated the image as needed for final output. The printer is quite good at this function, and on moderate sized prints it probably would be very hard to see a difference. On large prints, the printer needs to upsize the image if the native dimensions at 360 PPI are less than the output size, so managing this yourself can be better.

I always resample. I think it is necessary if interpolation of image size is required.

I consider High Pass sharpening as edge sharpening to refine edges. A low radius applies enhancement with a thin edge, and a higher radius applies a thicker edge. If you use a little high pass sharpening to print, it should be applied with a small radius - probably 2-4 - so that you can just see it. For me, it's not an automatic step - it is just applied to those edges that make a difference - eyes, water reflections, maybe hair, treelines on ridges, and similar textures.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
2014 Workshops - Spring in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 09-Dec-13 04:29 PM
#6. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 3

Western PA, US

Thank you Eric. Maybe I should consider toning down the in-camera sharpen and amping up the sharpening during the edit phase as you suggest. Printing is sort of new to me, so I have to reconcile the differences between what looks good on screen versus print.

Question (and I did ask Ernesto this as well) - but is there any advantage to checking 16-Bit Output within the Epson print driver when printing directly from NEF files (on Capture NX2)? I think this may be a Mac thing (not sure), but it's probably the only setting I'm not sure about.

Thanks again for your stellar advice.

-Dan

gpoole Platinum Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 09-Dec-13 05:02 PM
3499 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 6

Farmington Hills, US

"Maybe I should consider toning down the in-camera sharpen and amping up the sharpening during the edit phase as you suggest. Printing is sort of new to me, so I have to reconcile the differences between what looks good on screen versus print."

Dan,

I also use CNX2 for all my PP. I follow Jason Odell's capture sharpening recommendations:

• Disable in camera sharpening in CNX2.

• In Camera Settings > Picture Control set the Picture Control to a particular setting instead of "Unchanged". I usually set it the same as the in camera setting. This is necessary to enable the next step.

• Click the Advanced down arrow and set Sharpening to zero. Doing it this way allows you to keep the in camera sharpening for JPGs and playback the way you want it if you don't PP an image.

• Use USM to do your capture sharpening. The in camera sharpening does not allow independent control of intensity radius and threshold so you get much better control this way. View the image at 100% to fine tune the USM parameters.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 09-Dec-13 07:25 PM
#8. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 7

Western PA, US

What you and Eric say about sharpening makes a lot of sense. I will adjust my workflow accordingly.

Thanks!

-Dan

cmajor335 Registered since 29th Sep 2013Tue 10-Dec-13 06:58 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

Ralph, I have 2 links for you,
http://bythom.com/nikon.htm
look for Intro to Nikon Software which then opens http://www.sansmirror.com/books/introduction-to-nikon-softw.html.
The 'book' is a ebook and I have it on my iPad but although it is a PDF I found it works better with the GoodReader app.
I also bought his download for the book about the D800. He goes into great depth but tells you more about the 'Whys' and 'How'.
Hope you find it.
Graham

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Wed 11-Dec-13 09:17 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 10

Carver, US

Thank you, Graham! I just purchased the ebook.

Ralph

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Thu 19-Dec-13 04:53 PM
517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: NX2 Printing (Output Sharpening & DPI Adjustment)"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 19-Dec-13 04:58 PM by Gromit44

GB

>I also use CNX2 for all my PP. I follow Jason Odell's capture sharpening recommendations...

>• Use USM to do your capture sharpening...

Jason uses a two-stage sharpening method for the D800 - High Pass first, then USM. See http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2012/06/29/get-sharp-with-the-nikon-d800/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #11069 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.