Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10788
View in linear mode

Subject: "Saving an adjustment in Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
Kropotkin Registered since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 01-Sep-13 12:26 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Saving an adjustment in Capture NX2"
Sun 01-Sep-13 12:27 PM by Kropotkin

Bicester, GB

Hi

I am trying to save a single adjustment which I've made to an image. I want to be able to take this adjustment and apply it to a batch of images using the batch tool.

In the screen shot I've attached this is Step 4.

I am just trying to work out what the significance of the All Selected tick box is? I've ticked it. Does this mean that the adjustment will be applied to the whole image? If I didn't tick it would that make a difference?

If I am saving an adjustment which has been partially applied and I tick the box I assume that means the same area would be effected if I apply the adjustment to another image? But; in that case what would it do if the new image was a different size and proportions?

I just wonder if anyone could clarify these points for me?

Many thanks

--Justin Wyllie

http://www.justinwylliephotography.com/googleplus
http://www.nelsonphotographic.co.uk

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 02-Sep-13 11:53 AM
8564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Saving an adjustment in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Justin

I think you are correct - leaving the selection box unchecked would apply that step globally to the entire image.

Either way, you can apply the steps as a batch and then go back and fine tune the selection or adjustments.

I'm not sure how much you have used the batch processing function, but it can be a little slow since you have to not only apply the edits but also to render a new embedded JPEG. Once you launch the batch, have a cup or coffee or something to give it time to process.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Tue 03-Sep-13 11:17 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Saving an adjustment in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Following on from Eric.....

When you are done with processing, empty your cache at a suitable point.
I recently found 30Gb in there. :0

Kropotkin Registered since 02nd Dec 2012Tue 03-Sep-13 09:01 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Saving an adjustment in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Bicester, GB

Thanks Eric.

Yes. I did a test. If you don't select the 'partially selected' box the setting is saved and applied to the whole image. If you chose a partial selection it looks to me (from a very rough test so no guarantees) that it applies the selection area at the same position top/left from the source image to the destination one.

Finally then, if your source adjustment is applied to the whole image (e.g. a general white balance change) then it doesn't in fact matter if you tick the 'selection' box or not. Either way it will apply it to the whole of the destination image.

I tend to use it to do my final sharpening on a set of images. However now I beginning to see its potential I think I will use it more.

-- Justin

http://www.justinwylliephotography.com/googleplus
http://www.nelsonphotographic.co.uk

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10788 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.