Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10760
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
joyt Registered since 03rd Aug 2013Sun 25-Aug-13 10:42 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2"
Sun 25-Aug-13 10:40 PM by joyt

GB

I must say that I am impressed by this freebie from Nikon.
It seems to be simplicity itself but like others I am suffering from the random black thumbnails. I suspect this may be something to do with the computer memory as in my case it seems to happen when I am editing and if I don't wait long enough (all RAW files) the thumbnail goes black.
So the question is what do you recommend as an alternative. Capture seems to suffer the same problems.
Many thanks
Joyt

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2
jrp Administrator
25th Aug 2013
SRFast Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
joyt
26th Aug 2013
ericbowles Moderator
26th Aug 2013
joyt
26th Aug 2013
jrp Administrator
26th Aug 2013
joyt
26th Aug 2013
ericbowles Moderator
27th Aug 2013
joyt
27th Aug 2013

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Aug-13 10:53 PM
33940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

While other image viewers and image editors may handle memory needs a bit more efficient, you will run into the same problem eventually.
The solution that worked for me is to add as much RAM as possible and have your images in another disk, not the programs one.
In the meantime don't use cache in Capture NX2.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Mon 26-Aug-13 12:17 AM
1387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

New York City, US

Joyt,
What is your computer configuration? RAM is cheap and adding as much as your PC can support/you can afford is the best way to go. At the very least, you should have a minimum of 2gig of RAM for any software to run effectively.

Hope this helps...JL

joyt Registered since 03rd Aug 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 05:36 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Many thanks for your suggestions.
I have 4G of RAM and my computer works at 3.8 on the Windows Experience
Index Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.66Ghtz. 32 but system.
Having just looked this up in control panel (but not really understanding it) I suspect the figures are OK but should I double the RAM?
Many thanks

Joyt

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 26-Aug-13 07:27 PM
8170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

You should double the RAM - or more. 4GB is the bottom end of an acceptable level of RAM and everything has to be optimized for it to work well.

I've run 4GB of RAM on Windows 7. Black thumbnails or incorrect thumbnails tend to mean you need to simply clear the cache. But performance is much better with 8GB. I'm running 16GB of RAM on a newer Windows 8 machine.

Which version of Windows are you running?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

joyt Registered since 03rd Aug 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 11:00 PM
#5. "RE: View NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Windows Vista Business Edition.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 26-Aug-13 11:00 PM
33940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: View NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Check your motherboard specs.
You should be able to increase RAM to at least 8GB.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

joyt Registered since 03rd Aug 2013Mon 26-Aug-13 11:06 PM
#7. "RE: View NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Thank you everyone. What a great forum this is!

8 GB it will be!!

Best Wishes

Joyt

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 27-Aug-13 02:39 AM
8170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: View NX2"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 27-Aug-13 02:40 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

I recently ordered from here:
http://www.crucial.com/

There is probably a UK equivalent.

They have a utility that recognizes your computer, the amount of RAM possible, and how much you can add. It's pretty easy. If there are choices just call them - they are able to help.

I have installed RAM myself on several computers. It's pretty easy and there are typically videos available on the internet if you have questions. The process takes less than 10 minutes.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

joyt Registered since 03rd Aug 2013Tue 27-Aug-13 05:53 PM
#9. "RE: View NX2"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

Very helpful Eric.
They have a UK site.
Many thanks
Joyt

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10760 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.