Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10733
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coruption in NEF" Previous topic | Next topic
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Fri 16-Aug-13 03:45 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Coruption in NEF"

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Help please, the attached is a jpg taken directly from a NEF.
It is one of two from a batch of about fifty taken the same day on the same SanDisk CF card.
The two have a brightly coloured horizontal line through them.
The example is X200 & cropped in Capture NX2 latest version.
The suspect pair were taken within two minutes of each other so are consecutive on the card.

Strangely the line is seen in Capture NX2, viewed in Photo Mechanic and View NX2 the line is definitely not present although it is there if opened in Windows Photo Viewer.
The remainder of the batch are perfectly OK.

All are of a similar subject the same day in similar conditions.

Nikon D700 & Nikon 70-300 mm VR.

Thanks for looking.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Coruption in NEF
Asgard Administrator
16th Aug 2013
walkerr Administrator
16th Aug 2013
golfercat Silver Member
16th Aug 2013
robsb Platinum Member
16th Aug 2013
kennoll Gold Member
16th Aug 2013
expat Silver Member
16th Aug 2013
JonK Moderator
16th Aug 2013
expat Silver Member
17th Aug 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 16-Aug-13 05:19 PM
50935 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Coruption in NEF"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I would try another memory-card.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 16-Aug-13 05:38 PM
14557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Coruption in NEF"
In response to Reply # 1

Colorado Springs, US

Agree

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Fri 16-Aug-13 05:53 PM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Coruption in NEF"
In response to Reply # 2

Menifee, US

I agree also. looks like faulty memory card.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 16-Aug-13 07:01 PM
12764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Coruption in NEF"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

In all the years I have been shooting NEF I have only had one instance of this kind of thing and it was a bad card.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Fri 16-Aug-13 07:06 PM
798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Coruption in NEF"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

I agree with changing out the card. Perhaps. Were the images uploaded straight from the camera, via USB or Wi-Fi, or read by a card reader? If it was uploaded via a card reader perhaps a direct upload test using the USB cable is in order? Perhaps it's the card reader?

This does bring up a general question: are images, written to a card that has been in use for a long time, recorded and uploaded with the same quality as those recorded and uploaded when the card was new? Let's assume the aged card was faithfully re-formatted prior to each use.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Fri 16-Aug-13 09:07 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Coruption in NEF"
In response to Reply # 5

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Almost new card from a major UK Photographic dealer.
Why if its the card does it not show in View NX or Photo Mechanic?
Always upload via a card reader and ingest with PM before opening from there into Capture NX2.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 16-Aug-13 11:20 PM
4641 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Coruption in NEF"
In response to Reply # 6

New York, US

Photo Mechanic uses the embedded JPG, not the RAW data.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 17-Aug-13 06:27 AM
#8. "RE: Coruption in NEF"
In response to Reply # 7

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thanks Jon didn't appreciate that line to follow.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10733 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.