Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10711
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files" Previous topic | Next topic
Winterstorm59 Registered since 18th Feb 2012Sun 04-Aug-13 03:03 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files"

US

Hello, I am having a lot of trouble opening NRW files. The manuals say that I should be able to open this file type. When I do attempt to open a .NRW file Capture just gives me a warning saying that it cannot load the file. Is there anybody else who has had this experience and point me in the right direction to work around this problem? Any and all help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Nick

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files
Asgard Administrator
04th Aug 2013
Winterstorm59
04th Aug 2013
Asgard Administrator
05th Aug 2013
Winterstorm59
15th Aug 2013
SRFast Silver Member
15th Aug 2013
Winterstorm59
15th Aug 2013
ericbowles Moderator
15th Aug 2013
Winterstorm59
16th Aug 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 04-Aug-13 05:34 PM
50884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I would download the newest version 2.4.3 from the Nikon page.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Winterstorm59 Registered since 18th Feb 2012Sun 04-Aug-13 10:55 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files"
In response to Reply # 1

US

okay, that sounds like a viable option. My current version of Photoshop (CS3 Ver. 10.0.1) also will not open these new file types. Thank you for the suggestion.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 05-Aug-13 10:25 PM
50884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files"
In response to Reply # 2

East Frisia, DE

It seems you have a relative new camera ?

Please update your profile with all info. Then it is much easier to help you.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Winterstorm59 Registered since 18th Feb 2012Thu 15-Aug-13 12:03 AM
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files"
In response to Reply # 3

US

ok, will update my profile. I'm a newbie to Nikonians. As a side note, if one were completely cynical, it would seem to be a good way to keep the cash flowing in, if the developers tweak the file format just enough that it creates the problem that I (and I assume many others) ran into. I don't keep up with the literature about file formats, so I don't quite know what sort of improvements are made when they tweak their file formats. If there is enough of a change, maybe they could give the file format a version number. Just thinking.

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Thu 15-Aug-13 01:12 AM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files"
In response to Reply # 4

New York City, US

Most photography software companies provide FREE updates for their products when new cameras are released. It takes them a bit of time to offer the update to support a recently released camera, but they eventually do. The only time they not provide an update is for a product they have sunsetted because they will not devote resources to a product they no longer support. You can use any piece of software you want for as long as you want, but don't expect an update to a five year old product to support a camera that was released six months ago.

I know there are many fine software products on the market, but since I am a diehard Nikon shooter, I stick with their software. They might not be as sexy as other products, but I know that whatever Nikon I use, the software will support it.

Enjoy your Nikon....JL

Winterstorm59 Registered since 18th Feb 2012Thu 15-Aug-13 04:43 AM
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thank you for the insight. Yea, technology.... Keeping up-to-date can be quite a chore. I am not ready to throw in the towel yet though. But I know it will win in the end and I will become the true dinosaur.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 15-Aug-13 07:25 PM
8594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

It can be frustrating keeping up with the constant updates. Some of the updates are just for new cameras, while many times there are small fixes and improvements in update packages.

I try to keep my software up to date. Typically any time there is an update you'll see a notice posted in this forum.

For what it's worth, Nikon View NX2 is a free program. While it is not as robust an editor as Capture NX2, it does do a pretty good job on conversions. You still need to update the software from time to time, but it's an easy way to convert a file to a JPEG or TIFF. The catch is it only handles unedited files or files that have only been edited in View - once you edit in Capture or Photoshop you can no longer convert or edit the file in View.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Winterstorm59 Registered since 18th Feb 2012Fri 16-Aug-13 12:30 AM
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 ver. 2.3.0 and opening NRW files"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thank you for sharing your experience. Fumbling in the dark, while exciting at times, is time consuming and can lead to bad work.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10711 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.