nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10701
View in linear mode

Subject: "sharpening D800 files in Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
tgag Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Thu 01-Aug-13 01:38 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"sharpening D800 files in Capture NX2"

Lynn Haven, US

In a previous post,a member said he used Jason Odell's two step method of sharpening-high pass filter followed by usm.He said that the radius is 1%,intensity slider at 100% and threshold at 1%.After reading Jason Odells article,I noticed in the example that he had printed that the threshold was set at 5.Is 1 or 5 the correct threshold?If someone has better method that works for them,any comments would be appreciated.Thanks!Ted

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: sharpening D800 files in Capture NX2
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine
01st Aug 2013
Robp Gold Member
04th Aug 2013
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Aug 2013
tgag Silver Member
04th Aug 2013
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Aug 2013
tgag Silver Member
04th Aug 2013

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 01-Aug-13 03:05 PM
3811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: sharpening D800 files in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

I can't find Jason's blog article now. I use what I believe the article said with:

• High Pass: Radius 1 px, Opacity
    • All, Blending Mode - Overlay, Opacity 85%

• Unsharp Mask: Color - RGB, Intensity 100%, Radius 1%, Threshold 5

This works great for me

The 5 to 1 confusion on radius sounds like Capture NX2 vs Photoshop settings. Because of different units of measurement, to get the same effect the radius using PS is 5 times the radius using CNX2.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Sun 04-Aug-13 01:43 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: sharpening D800 files in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Gainesville, US

This was an ideal solution to a problem I was having. Thank you very much.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 04-Aug-13 03:58 AM
14997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: sharpening D800 files in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Colorado Springs, US

Here's the article you mentioned. Keep in mind that he wrote it for the D800e, so you'd need to adjust the settings a bit for a D800 (higher intensity for certain).

www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2012/06/29/get-sharp-with-the-nikon-d800/

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

tgag Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Sun 04-Aug-13 12:42 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: sharpening D800 files in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Lynn Haven, US

Thank you for your responses.Gary,I want to be sure that I have this right.With Capture NX2,the threshold would be 1.Rick,you said that with the D800 adjust the settings to a higher intensity.The intensity is already set on 100%.I am confused.What are the best settings for the D800?Thanks!

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 04-Aug-13 01:08 PM
14997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: sharpening D800 files in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 04-Aug-13 02:38 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

I would probably up the radius setting a bit and watch for halos. You should be able to strengthen the effect a bit without problems. Keep in mind that what Jason was describing here wasn't a general technique that you'd use all the time, but something specifically for bringing out very fine detail. You'd probably only notice the difference on really big prints, and you wouldn't want to use it at higher ISOs or in portraits. One other thing that you can do is turn off noise reduction at low ISOs, as NX2 has a nasty habit of applying it at low ISOs at the expense of detail. It starts as low as 100, which is unfortunate. If you do that, you may want to increase the threshold setting a little.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

tgag Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Sun 04-Aug-13 01:18 PM
#6. "RE: sharpening D800 files in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Lynn Haven, US

Thank you.I will give it a try.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10701 Previous topic | Next topic