nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10656
View in linear mode

Subject: "Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX" Previous topic | Next topic
bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Sat 13-Jul-13 09:51 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX"

Axminster, UK

Following Google's offer of their plugin suite free to existing owners of any one of them, I downloaded them all on the basis of my having CFX for NX2.
I Found that I can use them as stand alones via View NX2 by adding them to the Open With command options.They can also then be added to the toolbar as icons.
This works very well- select a thumbnail- right click ( or click toolbar icon) & select plugin to use, and the image opens , after adjustment it can be saved without going through any other host program.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX
DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
13th Jul 2013
rbaskin Silver Member
13th Jul 2013
bobtail Silver Member
14th Jul 2013
Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Jul 2013
rbaskin Silver Member
14th Jul 2013
Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Jul 2013
rbaskin Silver Member
15th Jul 2013

DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Sat 13-Jul-13 10:17 AM
856 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake NJ, & Jacksonvi, US

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I can add them to mine but it says it can't load the image. I can't seem to get it to work, but assuming it does for others that is a terrific find!

Richard

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sat 13-Jul-13 05:44 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX"
In response to Reply # 1

Ridgefield, US

The Nik plugins, when used as stand-alones via 'open with' is looking for a TIFF or JPEG file. If you've got a NEF or NRW file it can't work with it.

On the other hand, if you do this from Capture NX2's 'open with' it will automatically save the NEF as a TIFF and then open in the Nik filter.

There is an issue anusing them via CNX2, in that you can only have 1 program as the 'open with' application. VNX2 lets you have several.

Someone among the Nikonians created a small batch file called Editlist2 that will let you add multiple applications as a list and then be called by the 'open with' file command. You can search for it on the forums and download it.

Ralph in CT

bobtail Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Sep 2006Sun 14-Jul-13 12:29 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX"
In response to Reply # 2

Axminster, UK

Exactly right.
however I tried that, (David Duncan)but was unable to get it to work. I must try again. I get the pop-up to select a program from, but then
I get "run time error53-file not found "
Has anyone else successfully used it ?

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Sun 14-Jul-13 03:11 PM
435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX"
In response to Reply # 3

Campo, US

Hi Chris,

Yes, when I had Windows 7 the Edit List works great and loved it. Then I went to Windows 8 and I can’t get it to work in Windows 8. I email David to see if he updated it to work with Windows 8 and he said that he didn’t have it. So if you have Windows 7 it works great once you get it setup. I came very close to going back to Windows 7 just for the Edit List to work.

Now, I use Capture NX2 with Niks Efex 3.0 inside to edit my pictures and if I want to edit them in another one of Nik's other software I just save it as a 16bit TIFF file. Then I right click on the picture and “OPEN WITH” and pick whatever Nik’s software I want to use. The first time you do this you will have to search the “Choose Default Program” and add it to your list in there. Just go in and add all the application from Nik’s or Google’s Software so you can use any one of them when you’re ready. You will have to find Nik or Google in the list and then click through to find which app you want to add. You can do the same thing with any other software you have too, it doesn’t matter all you have to do is find it in the list and add it. And as far as I know you can add as many as you want too.

The Edit List was far easier that would open a 16bit TIFF right open in whatever program you picked without saving it first using Capture NX 2. As the post above said you can use View NX if you don’t want to edit it first in Capture NX2. So if you have Windows 7 find the Edit List and download it, it worked great for me in Windows 7. But the “Open With” is the only other way I found around it using Windows 8 with Capture NX2.

I just have OnOne’s Software set as my default editor in Capture NX2 that I really like, but like someone said you can only add one in there, and that is where the Edit List was great as you could add a list of them to pick from. If you have Nik’s or Google’s Efex 4.0 just put that in Capture NX2 and it will open a 16bit TIFF right open in the application? I hope this helps you.

Happy Editing,
Bill

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sun 14-Jul-13 10:34 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX"
In response to Reply # 3

Ridgefield, US

I've been using it with my current Win8 64 bit system and I used to run it on my XP 32 bit system.

Are you running the right version for your OS? Is it in the right folder? Make sure you have the latest version - search for editlist in this forum with Nikoscope search tool

The zip file has an instructional doc along with the 2 different Exe files.

Let me know if I can help you out with the files. Email me if you need to.

Ralph in CT

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Mon 15-Jul-13 05:31 AM
435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX"
In response to Reply # 5

Campo, US

Hi Ralph,

You just made my day! I tried for days to get it installed on my desktop that just would not work after installing Windows 8. After reading your post I tried it on my laptop as I am traveling through China until spring. It worked and can’t wait to get back and get it on my desktop. Not sure what I did wrong but I will figure it out when I get there.

If anyone is interested in this program you can download it here:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/191195.zip

If you want to see some more how it works you can go here and read this old post:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=302&topic_id=6881&prev_page=show_topic&gid=6881#6893

Thanks again Ralph,
Bill

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Mon 15-Jul-13 04:51 PM
#7. "RE: Google/Nik plugins as stand alones in VNX"
In response to Reply # 6

Ridgefield, US

Glad to hear you got it worked out.

Ralph in CT

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10656 Previous topic | Next topic