Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10634
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine" Previous topic | Next topic
yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Mon 08-Jul-13 04:24 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"

San carlos, US

I bought a Sony all in one PC with Windows 8. Installed CNX2 OK but when to use it and the features seem to work. But, when I went to save the files, it gets hung up and ceases to work.

Has anyone seen this and is there a solution / update from Nikon for the W8 version ?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine
robsb Platinum Member
09th Jul 2013
kennoll Gold Member
09th Jul 2013
expat Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
yelcab
09th Jul 2013
ericbowles Moderator
12th Jul 2013
yelcab
13th Jul 2013
ericbowles Moderator
13th Jul 2013
yelcab
13th Jul 2013
ericbowles Moderator
13th Jul 2013
pixures Silver Member
29th Jul 2013
pixures Silver Member
17th Oct 2013

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 09-Jul-13 02:13 AM
12728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I have been running Windows 8 and CNX2 for about 5 months now with no problems. I am using the 64 bit version of both programs and have 16 GB of RAM and am running an i7 processor. Can you give a better explanation of what is happening when you try to save files? What steps are you taking and what drive are you saving to? What are your error messages? Is CNX2 the only program that this happens on? What version of CNX2 are you using?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Tue 09-Jul-13 02:22 AM
794 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Hi Mitchell,

Firstly, I installed CNX2, and other PP apps, on W8 to test and see how it/they would work. They worked OK. So, for your situation, we need a little more info:

1)What does "hung up" mean? Please describe. Sure there is the "PC just doesn't do anything" vs "the little blue "I'm busy" circle" keeps spinning vs the blue screen of death.
2)does "ceases to work" mean the same as #1 or something else?
3)Which should be the first question, after downloading and installing CNX2 did you check for updates to bring the install up to current code levels? Perhaps the version you installed, without the updates, doesn't support the D600.
4)What device did you save the files to? Does the drive exist? Is there enough space? How many files at once? Did you initially try to save only one or two files at a time just to test the system/app?
5)Did you give the system enough time to complete the task? The D600 creates some large files so depending on the system resources, and the number of images you are trying to save, it may take more time than you expect. IF it's the D7000 then not so much but still considerable.

Anyway, the standard response is to de-install and re-install CNX2 making sure everything goes OK. Then checking for updates as, usually, the downloaded app doesn't have the current updates.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 09-Jul-13 10:17 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 2

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

I have an all in one with Win8 64 bit 8GB Ram, no problems with NX2, not much help I know but at least I doubt is a Win/Nx2 issue as such.

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Tue 09-Jul-13 08:39 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 09-Jul-13 10:42 PM by yelcab

San carlos, US

I was trying to sharpen up a JPEG image from a D7K camera which is supported by the CNX2. Went to save and the little circle turns forever without stopping. The files were from the Pictures file of the main disc.

The problem went away today. I did the same things and the program seemed to work ok, and saved ok. So, I guess I will look out for the next time. Here are the images I was manipulating in Unsharp Mask

Excuse the dirty sensor, it is cleaned now.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 12-Jul-13 06:51 PM
8587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I am running Capture NX2 on a Windows 8 Lenovo PC with just 8MB of RAM. My images are from the D800 - 70MB saved and much larger open and editing. Some of the files can be a little slow when I have a lot of editing steps, but in general it works fine.

When it gets slow, I typically find that I have too many things running at once - possibly View NX2 with both thumbnails and a full size image, and other applications. If the problem lingers I Restart the computer. I'm adding RAM which no doubt will help.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Sat 13-Jul-13 02:19 AM
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 5

San carlos, US

I only have 4 GB of RAM and maybe that is not enough for CNX2 ...

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 13-Jul-13 10:09 AM
8587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 13-Jul-13 10:11 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

While it might be possible according to the program specs, I don't think 4MB is enough RAM for D7000 images. Those are 16 megapixel images and processing those images will be problematic. You might get away with it, but you'll need to do everything possible to stretch the RAM you have and modify your workflow to limit the impact of anything else. I'd try saving regularly, make sure you have only Capture open for editing or viewing photos, and close everything other than Capture.

The real answer is to increase the amount of RAM. You'll see a big improvement in performance. I think most of the Sony All in One models accept 8 MB of RAM or more.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Sat 13-Jul-13 02:30 PM
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 7

San carlos, US

Eric,

I got 4 GigaBytes, not 4 MegaBytes. That is 4 Billion Bytes of RAM. A respectable amount, but certainly not infinite.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 13-Jul-13 03:09 PM
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 8

Atlanta, US

Oops - Sorry about the typo and confusion - RAM is typically installed in Gigabytes not megabytes.

And 4 GB is not enough. You need 8 or more. Depending on the configuration, 8 may be the maximum for your PC - but you do need to upgrade.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Mon 29-Jul-13 02:47 AM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 30-Jul-13 12:31 PM by pixures

US

I also have NX2 hang when trying to save files. It works for a few images before acting up. After NX2 hangs the first time, it will only process a single image after being reloaded before hanging again.

I have 24GB of memory with an I7 processor running Windows 7 64 bit. It really seems to me there are some residual memory management bugs or similar left over from the 32->64 bit conversion of a few years ago.

I can run ViewNX2, Lightroom, Photoshop including NIK and Topaz plugins all day without a hitch. If I use NX2 in the mix, it will hang on save after 5 or 6 images edits.

I tried all the recommendations such as uninstall, reinstall a new baseline, install latest update, clear cache, etc.

As an IT professional, I will never say with certainty that the problem lies with NX2 rather than my system. I appreciate that the usage pattern of others does not present problems to them. However, since all other memory intensive SW is stable, l continue to believe NX2 suffered from the 32 bit conversion and the fact that NIK (Google) is no longer maintaining the SW if my understanding is correct.

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

pixures Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Thu 17-Oct-13 02:10 PM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 crashes on Windows 8 machine"
In response to Reply # 10

US

An update to the response I posted in July....

In August, I un-installed Carbonite from my system and am using a different backup program and scheme. After the removal of Carbonite, I found NX2 to be useable and more stable. I can now open and edit and save more than a single raw image in NX2 without the need for a restart or logoff/logon.

Carbonite caused some conflicts when it wa running that were concerning me and led me down a trail of learning that Carbonite consumed resources (cpu, memory, and disk) even when it was not scheduled to run. Apparently, this contributed to the NX2 instability.

Do I feel NX2 is completely bug free? No, not just yet. However, it is now quite useable and I thought it worth mentioning things are better.

>I also have NX2 hang when trying to save files. It works for
>a few images before acting up. After NX2 hangs the first
>time, it will only process a single image after being reloaded
>before hanging again.
>
>I have 24GB of memory with an I7 processor running Windows 7
>64 bit. It really seems to me there are some residual memory
>management bugs or similar left over from the 32->64 bit
>conversion of a few years ago.
>
>I can run ViewNX2, Lightroom, Photoshop including NIK and
>Topaz plugins all day without a hitch. If I use NX2 in the
>mix, it will hang on save after 5 or 6 images edits.
>
>I tried all the recommendations such as uninstall, reinstall a
>new baseline, install latest update, clear cache, etc.
>
>As an IT professional, I will never say with certainty that
>the problem lies with NX2 rather than my system. I appreciate
>that the usage pattern of others does not present problems to
>them. However, since all other memory intensive SW is
>stable, l continue to believe NX2 suffered from the 32 bit
>conversion and the fact that NIK (Google) is no longer
>maintaining the SW if my understanding is correct.
>

Bill N
www.images-captured.com
"Like" on Facebook
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #10634 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.