nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #10621
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thumbnails after editing a picture" Previous topic | Next topic
Marcial Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010 Sun 07-Jul-13 12:48 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Thumbnails after editing a picture"

I am having a very specific problem with thumbnails. When I download pictures to my computer, all thumbnails are the way they are supposed to be but when I edit the picture, for instance when I do some cropings, thumbnails do not change at all.

This is misleading. Sometimes I extract a detail of a picture or prepare different versions of the picture, however in all cases the thumbnail still shows the original picture. In that case, I need to click on it and open the picture to see it.

Is there any way to make the thumbnail look like the picture after it was edited?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine
07th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture Marcial Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
     Reply message RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine
08th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013
     Reply message RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.
08th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013
08th Jul 2013

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine   Farmington Hills, US  Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004 Sun 07-Jul-13 03:50 PM
3874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Marcial

If you are using Capture NX2 to edit NEF files, then the thumbnails and the full size embedded JPEG will be updated when you save the updated file. No other RAW/NEF editor will do this.

If you are editing JPEG files I don't know what will happen to the thumbnails. It could very well be dependent on the software you are using.

Knowing whether you are editing RAW or JPG and what software you are using in necessary to give you any addition help with your problem.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Marcial Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010 Sun 07-Jul-13 11:21 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture"
In response to Reply # 1

I set my D90 to take JPEG images. It's easier although it might not be the best in a way.

I use picasa, irfanview and ViewNX2 for editing. Simple software but give me what I need, except for the thumbnail problem.

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine   Farmington Hills, US  Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004 Mon 08-Jul-13 12:56 AM
3874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture"
In response to Reply # 2

Marcial

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, because I don't edit JPGs. I believe that the JPG file contains both the full size image and a thumbnail image inside. I would expect that any program that edits the JPG would update the thumbnail when it saves the edited image. Do you have the same problem with all 3 of the editing programs?

I wonder if the problem is your operating system and not the editing program. I think Windows keeps a hidden file with the thumbnails for efficiency of browsing. Probably the Mac does something similar. Maybe you have to force the OS to update the thumbnail file. Maybe a refresh (f5 in Windows Explorer) might do the necessary update.

Hopefully someone else who can give you a better answer will reply.

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine   Farmington Hills, US  Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004 Mon 08-Jul-13 01:14 AM
#4. "RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 08-Jul-13 01:14 AM by gpoole

Marcial

I just created a couple of JPGs and changed contrast and brightness and cropped the images using View NX2 ver. 2.7.6 running in Window 7 64 bit. The thumbnails reflected the changes immediately after the images were saved from View NX2. I don't have Picassa or Irfanview to try.

Marcial Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010 Mon 08-Jul-13 12:32 PM
#6. "RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture"
In response to Reply # 4

gpoole:

You are absolutely correct. I just tried what you said. Success! ViewNX2 modified the thumbnails to reflect the changes made during the image edition. ViewNX2 succeeded where the other two programs failed.

Cropping was the critical change because it could make a thumbnail look totally different from the full-size image.

I will stick to ViewNX2 and forget the other programs, specially when I am doing significant cropping.

Thanks a million.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.   SouthernYork Co, US  Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010 Mon 08-Jul-13 09:55 AM
1950 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture"
In response to Reply # 2

Are you using the most up to date version of ViewVX?

Sheri Becker

Marcial Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010 Mon 08-Jul-13 12:34 PM
#7. "RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 08-Jul-13 12:44 PM by Marcial

SheriB,

Although I finallhy succeeded, your suggestion is good. I haven't updated ViewNX2 in a few months so I am going to check the version I am using. Thanks a lot.

Marcial Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010 Mon 08-Jul-13 02:27 PM
#8. "RE: Thumbnails after editing a picture"
In response to Reply # 7

I just checked, the ViewNX2 version I had (have) is the latest.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #10621 Previous topic | Next topic